Recommended SUV/Truck Beater Under $5K

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by Phishin
Literally.....Any Chevy truck with a 350 or a 5.3L
Around here, any full-sized 4WD truck selling for under $5k is near the edge of needing to go to the salvage yard.

I suspect that's why the existing owner is selling it (The Suburban) .

Last edited:
I have bought 5 vehicles this year on Letgo app. I rarely pay more than $1K and always try to double my money.. craigslist is dead here. Facebook Marketplace and LetGo are where i find my deals.

3rd gen 4Runners in good shape can be had all day under 5K out here in California. Let me know if you need help sourcing one. I have put approximately 500K on the Toyota 3.4 and have had zero issues to report.

My son still has my 2002 F150 with well over 200K and only a fuel pump replaced. The only other issue those have is the EGR passage may clog with carbon. A coat hanger fix and good as new. An old superchips tuner really wakes up this model and tightens the shifting. IMO why it lasted so long.

The awd in crv has a short maintenance interval for honda dual pump fluid. I think it‘s 15k miles. If theyve let that go, a $5000 crv probably doesnt have much left in its AWD. The sh-awd in the mdx uses a system which is much lower maintenance, and effective in snow, but also limited beyond that if you ever started drooling over trail work. Those gen 1 mdx’s are heavy and solid. We had a gen 1 and never had a lick of transmission trouble, but they will get you at the gas pump. They arent bad to work on, but at the $ youre talking about, its going to need work. At that age/price just about anything youre looking at will need work.

slug-bug mentioned minivans. Ill second that, and in a pinch, airing down to ~12psi can dig out of a lot of snow if you have higher series rubber on them. I did just fine in a fwd town and country in MD for a few years, and if you get hit, theres a lot more metal around you, and they do “truck stuff” pretty well with the cavernous rear space. Insanely practical, hauls musical equipment with ease. Excellent view of the road... but i just got tired of driving a van after not too long.

M

Back