FRAM Tough Guard TG3600 @3053 Miles, 4 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Run on a Saturn 1.9 DOHC, recently acquired so short cleaning cycles. Oil used for oil change: 4 quarts Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30 plus 8oz bottle of GUMOUT Expert Series Oil Friction Modifier.

Top off: 2 quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30 and 32oz bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment. Yes she is a thirsty beast.

20190515_202420.jpg

20190515_202815.jpg

20190515_203152.jpg

20190515_203326.jpg

20190515_203354.jpg

20190515_203421.jpg

20190515_203446.jpg

20190515_203521.jpg

Last edited:
Bonus

Very supple ADBV. No surprise with such a short interval.

I removed this filter and installed an old cheapo Purolator Classic for a Chemtool B-12 engine idle flush. Half can in oil, half in gas tank, 20 minutes. Kept the Classic filter on and refilled with Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-30 and some other odds and ends. I will run this as a drive around flush for a few hundred miles and then I will cut the L20195 open .

20190515_202531.jpg

20190515_202551.jpg

20190515_202700.jpg

It used about a quart of oil every 1100 miles (I keep the level well above the hashmark area). The vehicle is 20 years old and the previous owner probably only gave it the budget oil changes without monitoring the level. Also when I acquired it, it had the original thermostat. She said it ran cool like that was a good thing LOL. I put in a new thermostat and gave the system a good flush and replaced a few sensors and serviced the Auto transmission. Good little gokart now
smile.gif
I am lucky it actually goes over 1000 miles per quart, some S-series owners use a quart every few hundred miles.

Last edited:
Looks good. I am wondering if that's one of those newer re-engineered tough guards.

Last edited:
Yea those 1.9 saturn motors are like the 1.8 motors in the Corolla. Once they get 100k+ they start to use oil.

I'd run a 10w30 high mileage oil with no additives. Will clean it well and use less oil.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yea those 1.9 saturn motors are like the 1.8 motors in the Corolla. Once they get 100k+ they start to use oil.

I'd run a 10w30 high mileage oil with no additives. Will clean it well and use less oil.

Yep my Corolla is just over 131K now it may have started using some oil 1/2 quart on my last OIC of 7156 miles.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Looks good. I am wondering if that's one of those newer re-engineered tough guards.

I still have not figured out what is different with the "new" ToughGuards, but thankful that Walmart clearanced the "old" ones.

Yes, the last several hundred miles was Rislone Top off.

The next OCI will be Mobil Super HM synthetic blend with MMO w/PSL20195 for another cleaning cycle

Originally Posted by MrQuackers

The next OCI will be Mobil Super HM synthetic blend with MMO w/PSL20195 for another cleaning cycle

Sounds good sir. Did you take advantage of the MAXLIFE 15W40 clearance at Wal Mart? I stole last 10 gallons at $6~ gal a piece
smile.gif

Didn't the TG's used to have a screen over the bypass valve at one point? Thought that was one of the TG extras over the EG's back in the day.... It was a fairly coarse screen though, not sure how effective it was.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Didn't the TG's used to have a screen over the bypass valve at one point? Thought that was one of the TG extras over the EG's back in the day.... It was a fairly coarse screen though, not sure how effective it was.
They did, and it was, at least in the advertising. Been gone for quite some time now. Off top my head, I'd say ~10 years.

Topic filter looks fine, at the fci as expected.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
They did, and it was, at least in the advertising. Been gone for quite some time now. Off top my head, I'd say ~10 years.

Topic filter looks fine, at the fci as expected.

I agree, at least 10 years for sure.
it was literally a gravel catcher.
[Linked Image]

Fram Racing filters still have them.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by MrQuackers

Sounds good sir. Did you take advantage of the MAXLIFE 15W40 clearance at Wal Mart? I stole last 10 gallons at $6~ gal a piece
smile.gif

No luck on that at my local Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back