FRAM Tough Guard TG3600 @3053 Miles, 4 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pinoak
The screen is a good idea. Unfortunately, it's not gonna work to catch any piece of the endcap that breaks off from on the other side of the leaf spring/bypass.

End caps breaking off on the inside? Got links to examples of that happening?

The screen is a good idea. Unfortunately, it's not gonna work to catch any piece of the endcap that breaks off from on the other side of the leaf spring/bypass.

This place never fails to amaze me...
43.gif

The Fram racing filters still keep the screen over bypass. Must be something to it. What about the pleats showing through the end cap? That doesn't look perfectly fine. Trying to think how the end cap seals that when there is a gap. Seems like maybe the oil will pass through those open pleat ends at the gap. Maybe not, but the manufacturer surely didn't have that gap on a blueprint.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The Fram racing filters still keep the screen over bypass. Must be something to it. What about the pleats showing through the end cap? That doesn't look perfectly fine. Trying to think how the end cap seals that when there is a gap. Seems like maybe the oil will pass through those open pleat ends at the gap. Maybe not, but the manufacturer surely didn't have that gap on a blueprint.

That screen won't do anything practical. The relative boulders that can pass through if something inside self-destructs will score and harm all kinds of stuff despite passing through.

I suspect that a racing filter is built on the premise that oil pressures will be huge and bypass will be common. So if under a race a failing engine throws big pieces of material they will catch some. Not sure on the validity or utility of that.

... What about the pleats showing through the end cap? That doesn't look perfectly fine. Trying to think how the end cap seals that when there is a gap. Seems like maybe the oil will pass through those open pleat ends at the gap. Maybe not, but the manufacturer surely didn't have that gap on a blueprint.

Has been discussed multiple times. That area is sealed by either the ADV or the spring. Look at it, you can seen the indentation of the seal of the spring. It is not an issue.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

That screen won't do anything practical. The relative boulders that can pass through if something inside self-destructs will score and harm all kinds of stuff despite passing through.

I suspect that a racing filter is built on the premise that oil pressures will be huge and bypass will be common. So if under a race a failing engine throws big pieces of material they will catch some. Not sure on the validity or utility of that.

Oh contraire it gives you and extra 10 MPH. Sarcasm off!

Last edited:
Once upon a time, Fram was looked down upon. Even ridiculed. Now, apparently, some people favor it. Any drastic changes made to design and construction? Or is this all opinion on the same exact filter?

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Once upon a time, Fram was looked down upon. Even ridiculed. Now, apparently, some people favor it. Any drastic changes made to design and construction? Or is this all opinion on the same exact filter?

20 years ago Fram had some issues, they fixed them a long time ago. Some people can't let it go.

Fram has been a good manufacturer of filters since at least the mid 2000's, and have only improved since then.
Their XG Ultra filters are some of the best filters out there (filtration, flow, capacity, availability, and price), and even the OCOD (used to mean "Orange Can Of Doom/Detruction", now is used here as "Orange Can Of Delight") is a really good filter at a decent price.

Originally Posted by blupupher
... What about the pleats showing through the end cap? That doesn't look perfectly fine. Trying to think how the end cap seals that when there is a gap. Seems like maybe the oil will pass through those open pleat ends at the gap. Maybe not, but the manufacturer surely didn't have that gap on a blueprint.

Has been discussed multiple times. That area is sealed by either the ADV or the spring. Look at it, you can seen the indentation of the seal of the spring. It is not an issue.

Yeah, even though it's been explained many times, the same guys (some under new usernames) keep bringing this up.

And it's been pointed out as part of the explanation that if there isn't a good seal impression seen in the end cap, then yes there could be some oil leakage at that spot.

I see the indentation from the leaf retainer, of course. I see a gap, the ends of the pleats showing, and then the center tube. This is fact. The end cap indentation is not all the way in. The ends of the pleats are not sealed by the end cap there.This is a manufacturing flaw. Regardless if there is some glue there or not on the pleat ends, it is still a defect.

The pleats you see through the gap is the clean filtered side of the pleats. The pleat ends are bonded and sealed to the end caps. What if there was no center tube and a 100% sealing impression on the end cap all the way around the hole - you think it's leaking?

If there's a seal around the hole (as shown by the impression) then that gap in the center tube doesn't matter. The only place it can leak dirty oil is where the seal isn't happening (ie, lack of a sealing impression on the end cap). Goodtimes and Ablebody always brought this up too ... wonder why, lol.

I see the indentation from the leaf retainer, of course. I see a gap, the ends of the pleats showing, and then the center tube. This is fact. The end cap indentation is not all the way in. The ends of the pleats are not sealed by the end cap there.This is a manufacturing flaw. Regardless if there is some glue there or not on the pleat ends, it is still a defect.

See the indentation here in orange:
[Linked Image]

this is where the spring/ADV is sealing the center tube.

This is what is exposed to dirty oil when the filter is together:
[Linked Image]

There are no leaks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are no leaks.

No need to repeat the obvious. I already said what you show. Maybe reading all what people say helps? If there is no glue over the tips of the exposed pleats, there is a path for oil to go into the center tube unfiltered. It's a manufacturing defect to have the end cap off to one side and the pleats exposed. It's a lot off too, as the orange circle makes the offset defect amount more obvious. It really is nothing to argue about, no worries as they say.

No need to repeat the obvious. I already said what you show. Maybe reading all what people say helps? If there is no glue over the tips of the exposed pleats, there is a path for oil to go into the center tube unfiltered. It's a manufacturing defect to have the end cap off to one side and the pleats exposed. It's a lot off too, as the orange circle makes the offset defect amount more obvious. It really is nothing to argue about, no worries as they say.

I read what you said, I showed what is covered by the spring and ADV, there is no leak.
Is it perfectly centered, no. Does it need to be if the spring seat or ADV seal of that area, no.

If you fail to understand that then I can't do any more.

If there is no glue over the tips of the exposed pleats, there is a path for oil to go into the center tube unfiltered.

So where's the evidence that the ends of the pleats aren't glued to the end cap? That would hold true for every filter ever made, regardless of its construction or if there's a center tube or not. You're really reaching now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are no leaks.
[/quote]

No need to repeat the obvious. I already said what you show. Maybe reading all what people say helps? If there is no glue over the tips of the exposed pleats, there is a path for oil to go into the center tube unfiltered. It's a manufacturing defect to have the end cap off to one side and the pleats exposed. It's a lot off too, as the orange circle makes the offset defect amount more obvious. It really is nothing to argue about, no worries as they say.[/quote]

Well it seems pretty obvious to me. Looking at the pic with the gap it's easy to see the oil will leak by. My experience with an ocod is that the end cap crumbled easily when I pushed on it. Also the whole media collapsed really easily by just squeezing it with 1 hand.
I'd be overly concerned about a piece of the end cap breaking off and going through either the potential gap around the end of the tube or through the bpv.
Might not ever happen but why put yourself in a situation where you have to ponder that possiblity by using such a poorly designed and poorly made filter

Last edited:
Well it seems pretty obvious to me. Looking at the pic with the gap it's easy to see the oil will leak by.

Please explain how when there's a seal impression on the end cap all the way around the center tube. What if there was no center tube - how's that change the supposed oil "leak" past the media that's glued to the end cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back