Road Debris Destroys Tire/Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unable to avoid some road metal on the IL tollway this weekend, maybe 20 miles North of O'Hare. I'm lucky only one wheel was destroyed, thought it may be two on the one side.

I went about 1.5 miles further to get extra room on an off ramp. My standard Chevy jack was marginal. I was well into it but a guy stopped & wanted to help. He had a slightly better jack. I welcomed his help, it did go smoother. He also refused the $$ I openly offered. Thanks mister, I will continue to pass help along.

I ordered a new wheel from Rock Auto, 2017 Sierra Crew-Cab. I think I'll just leave my spare on & carry a mounted snow tire as a spare. These are original Goodyear Wranglers with 27k miles. I may get the Michelins I have bookmarked next Fall.

CA3FDD6C-B42B-4F7D-93DD-153804C1D94A.jpeg

Check with the toll authority, they might be able to cover you financially.

At least you know that tire/ rim are done, not, hey, maybe it can get fixed, but not sure if it'll ever be the same.

Pretty impressive feat, really.

Jeez ... how did that SOUND when you hit it ?

Glad you're OK ... EVERYONE will hit something on the road sooner or later. My last hit was a large truck muffler, on the highway at night. Dinged the oil pan causing a split, but no other damage. Towed, welded, and on my way the next day. Could have been worse ...

Was that sidewall already worn through like that before you struck something? Regardless that damage is unbelievable, looks like it was shot with a 20mm explosive round LOL.

What are you going to do with the trashed wheel?

4" angle bar do that? Never seen the like of such damage. A few hundred yards from most off ramps there is a parking lot. Thats where I head on the few times I've had flats etc on the highway.
grin2.gif

Looks exactly like what my grandma did to her Grand Caravan when it was 2 years old. She hit a curb... almost $500 for a wheel at the dealer, I got a junk yard wheel for $100 that was in perfect shape.

Glad you're OK. I hope you took pictures of the incident on the scene. My wife was behind a scrap metal collector when a large block of metal fell off and destroyed two wheels on the same side of the car. Much more catastrophic damage than what happened to you. We called the insurance who sent an adjuster to the shop and they refused saying it was due to rolling over a curb (self-inflicted). Fortunately, when it happened a local county office pulled up and assisted her off the road and wrote an accident report. The insurance quickly changed their mind and payed for the damage.

This was the rear, driver side. The metal was in the left side of my lane, vehicle boxing me in on right lane. The truck was easily controllable, again worried I had two on the one side. 4-6 more inches of swerve & I think I wouldn't be here.

Over the years I have seen angle iron, mufflers, a ladder, all kinds of stuff in the roadway. I guess it was my time.

These tires looked fine before, no sidewall rub or anything. I actually don't care for them though, but planned in using them up before I switched. I'll try another picture.

I have no idea what the debris was, looked about 2.5' irregular, square, not flat to road. I'll swing through the tollway site, doubt they would do anything. The damage is all that one wheel & tire, nothing else.

I also already bought a much better jack from Fleet Farm, small enough to carry. If nothing else it may ward off the next event, SD trip in June planned.

832B6EAE-71CC-4036-8CE5-C98AC7AE53CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a question, how does one get the valve out of the wheel? These are 2017 electronic stems. I was able to remove the electronic part by unscrewing, now have the rubber stem itself left.

Trying not to damage things so it can go in my new wheel. The other option is to take the damaged wheel in when I go to the shop, eventually.

I just hit a local street pothole and it took out my Pirelli run flat mounted on the front driver's side. BMW wanted $336.00 to replace it. I had to fight over the fact that Pirelli gives a one-year road hazard warranty. The dealer's service manager called the cops on me but that was no problem since I am a local attorney and knew the cops. BMW dealers are great. At least the wheel survived.

Once with my Olds Bravada I hit a manhole that the cover had been left off of - not marked or anything, back when I lived in Florida. Went back with the camera and took pictures of everything, got the county to reimburse me for a new rim and tire from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
Here's a question, how does one get the valve out of the wheel? These are 2017 electronic stems. I was able to remove the electronic part by unscrewing, now have the rubber stem itself left.

You don't re-use the rubber stems, just the electronic part. The rubber stem generally has to be cut to remove it from the wheel. A new stem should be included in the charge to mount and balance a tire.

Last edited:
Oh, neighbor,
Sorry to hear that.
I just experienced that on local road.
Metal plate about 6" by 10" with something on top.

Tire with a 1.5" hole. Replaced with a goodyear eagle sport at a justtires (only thing open at 8AM)
Wheel has small damage but no air leak.
It sounded like a metal thing hit the car, small jump in the air, then beep beep (instant air pressure loss).
I was lucky to have space to pull to the right (right turn lane).

For everybody, OP was on a toll road, where everybody usually drives 55-80+ mph.
Lots of space between exits/ramps.

Just had this happen on Tuesday morning but not quite as bad as the OP. Whatever I hit only took out the tire and a portion of the molding on the car.

Originally Posted by rfeir
I just hit a local street pothole and it took out my Pirelli run flat mounted on the front driver's side. BMW wanted $336.00 to replace it. I had to fight over the fact that Pirelli gives a one-year road hazard warranty. The dealer's service manager called the cops on me but that was no problem since I am a local attorney and knew the cops. BMW dealers are great. At least the wheel survived.

There's a bit of story hidden in there, counselor...care to share that one in another thread?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by rfeir

There's a bit of story hidden in there, counselor...care to share that one in another thread?

Yeah...what?

I'm starting my replacement, Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I was going to get a different size, but I decided to stick with 265/65/18, so I can rotate without worry, and use the same spare if needed.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back