Lost all coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dads 09 gmc 2500 6.0L with only 40,000 miles seems to have lost all its coolant instantly, not a slow leak. It over heated and he drove it a few miles. I told him he's nuts but says there are precautions that the engine will shut off if it gets too hot. I say he's crazy for trusting such a thing. Think he did much damage? He wanted to take it to a shop but talked him into letting me take a shot at it. This is my first water pump job but am armed with south main autos excellent video. Also rented a 36mm wrench and fan clutch tool, even though it doesn't have pins. But I think the 1/4" bolts I bought will fit in the holes to help assist from the pulley spinning.
Im thinking it's water pump gaskets possibly since I've heard it's a common problem. Also heard water pumps go out like crazy but would think it would be a slow leak out the weep hole. So if it's just gaskets, should I just replace those or order a whole new pump? Also wondering if I should change belts. I'm thinking if coolant got on them they are pretty much toast and for being 10 years old. Will check for play on the tensioner and pump. I'm not really familiar to only one coolant fill, will the reservoir tank get mixed if I just throw coolant and water in seperately? Will also check thermostat for leaks and if the pump is toast, I will order a new one. I'm pretty sure he has a critter living inside the engine bay somewhere. Would it be possible it was thirsty and ate through a coolant line? I've had this happen before on a washer fluid line lol

Do modern cars still not have coolant level sensors? I can't remember if the GMT800 had one but I know the 400 did not.

My Jetta has one and it has activated more than a few times!

Last edited:
Seems bringing the vehicle to a trusted shop would be the smart move.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Do those trucks have the automatic shut down if they get hot?

They do not....Coolant Temperature sensors do not read correctly without coolant! Ford has Cylinder Head Temp sensors in most of their engines that do work in case of a total coolant loss situation.

While the water pump gaskets are a known leak point on LSx engines......They will NOT cause a sudden massive coolant leak! The aluminum Frame of the gasket prevents it.
The water pumps on these engine are quite reliable & a TON of them are changed because gasket seepage.

Fill it with water until you see it running out. If it doesn't run out fill it up and pressure test it. It's crazy just the throw parts at it with no evidence of what failed.

You might as well change the belts if you have to take them off anyway and they haven;t been changed in awhile
smile.gif

Even if you don't need to replace the water pump, you might as well replace it if you have to remove it anyway and it's been in there awhile. Get an OE water pump

Originally Posted by pda1122
Dads 09 gmc 2500 6.0L with only 40,000 miles seems to have lost all its coolant instantly, not a slow leak. It over heated and he drove it a few miles. I told him he's nuts but says there are precautions that the engine will shut off if it gets too hot. I say he's crazy for trusting such a thing. Think he did much damage? He wanted to take it to a shop but talked him into letting me take a shot at it. This is my first water pump job but am armed with south main autos excellent video. Also rented a 36mm wrench and fan clutch tool, even though it doesn't have pins. But I think the 1/4" bolts I bought will fit in the holes to help assist from the pulley spinning.
Im thinking it's water pump gaskets possibly since I've heard it's a common problem. Also heard water pumps go out like crazy but would think it would be a slow leak out the weep hole. So if it's just gaskets, should I just replace those or order a whole new pump? Also wondering if I should change belts. I'm thinking if coolant got on them they are pretty much toast and for being 10 years old. Will check for play on the tensioner and pump. I'm not really familiar to only one coolant fill, will the reservoir tank get mixed if I just throw coolant and water in seperately? Will also check thermostat for leaks and if the pump is toast, I will order a new one. I'm pretty sure he has a critter living inside the engine bay somewhere. Would it be possible it was thirsty and ate through a coolant line? I've had this happen before on a washer fluid line lol

Engine doesn't shut off, it deactivates cylinders alternately so they pump air instead of combustion gases to prevent the engine from seizing. Not to sound condescending but from your internet diagnosis and repair, it seems like you don't really know what happened or how to fix it. Let him take it to a shop for a diagnosis and go from there.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Engine doesn't shut off, it deactivates cylinders alternately so they pump air instead of combustion gases to prevent the engine from seizing.

The Temp Sensor can't read correctly without coolant!

And FYI this engine doesn't have belts, it has A belt, serpentine.

Technically, It has 2 belts. One for the AC compressor & one for the rest of the accessories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
freeze plug?

No freeze plugs, It has screw-in brass Core Plugs.....Early LSx engine did have press fit galvanized steel freeze plugs in the cylinder heads. Long gone by 2009.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Engine doesn't shut off, it deactivates cylinders alternately so they pump air instead of combustion gases to prevent the engine from seizing.

The Temp Sensor can't read correctly without coolant!

And FYI this engine doesn't have belts, it has A belt, serpentine.

Technically, It has 2 belts. One for the AC compressor & one for the rest of the accessories.

Everyone overlooks the small ac belt.

I wouldn't touch it. Being a family members vehicle that was treated badly, you will be blamed for future issues.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
I wouldn't touch it. Being a family members vehicle that was treated badly, you will be blamed for future issues.

Pretty sound advice. Keep peace in the family.

It's his dad, not some inlaw. Not rocket science figuring out where coolant is leaking.

GM truck should throw a code if the temp hit 260 degrees. Fortunately, that whole engine should be iron so less likely you'll have damage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back