2008 accord 2.4L piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximately 3 hours After the 3rd dose of 1oz per piston.
Cranked without plugs and got this.

IMAG2600.jpg

I feel that pic with one dry hole somewhat confirms my suspicion with the plugs of that first cylinder being the main culprit

I poured in about 12 oz of seafoam, how long to I run this oil before changing?

Seafoam is a majority pale oil, and very low viscosity. I personally wouldn't use it in the crankcase, but others may. You may run it a short time, but I would probably pull it no later than this coming weekend.

Check out kanolabs.com, and also search this board for the Kreen thread by Trav. Lots of good info there; Trav is one of the better-respected professional mechanics on the board. The Kreen thread went something like 650 posts before getting locked by some name-calling posters.

You need something thicker and much stronger to clean those rings - - - - you are right in your suspicions.

seafoam is thin. I would expect it to wash down past the rings while sitting and would not be alarmed by this. The result you are getting does not indicate that you have a problem. Adding to that, one instance of a different consumption pattern does not indicate that you have a problem. Consistent patterns over time are where your better diagnosis will come from.

Compression test, with and without a tsp of oil, will tell you what's going on. The plugs themselves look great, with some potential deposits from fuel additives. If you want, half a can of seafoam in the oil and a can in the gas will be fine. I've driven many full OCIs with a half-can of seafoam in a sump that size, and for nice slow cleaning it helped.

I had an 03 k24 that drank oil like it was its life depended on it. About 1quart/500-700 miles.

I tried BG EPR followed by a cleanse w/ atf then an oil change. It certainly cleaned something up, oil was jet black, but no difference in consumption.

I tried soaks of every kind.

First I tried the old school GM top engine cleaner. It ran past the rings super fast (had drain plug out so it wouldn't sit in crankcase oil, whatever got past I wanted to run it's way right out of the crankcase and it sure did). I tried it one more time with something else (maybe ATF) something to try to keep it from running straight through. I turned the crank by hand occasionally and kept adding more as it would run right through it (2 cylinders at least).

I tried a barsol? parts cleanse we use in our shop that cleans everything I've put in it in seconds. From gummed up I takes and throttle body's to never serviced rear differentials when I'm overhauling them. It did nothing for my consumption though.

Nothing I did helped my consumption. After one of the attempts it did go down to a quart per thousand miles, but it was temporary and probably just the way I drove it that week.

When I had my intake off to replace my starter I'd never seen runner SO gummed up in my life and I've been working on cars 16 years now...on people's and fleets cars that ARE NOT maintained well when I knew mine was (at least for the 170k miles I had it). The damage was done by the prior owner, though. I guess it had a rough first 100k. But it still serves me well.

I just think you should keep in mind there's a good chance you aren't going to fix it with a solvent or cleaning. I enjoyed the challenge and attempting to fix it but ultimately did nothing to help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back