How do you drain your oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this wash-pail insert to drain my oil filters prior to disposing them at the recycling center. $7.50 from Lee Valley. Fits five gallon pails.

www.leevalley.com. Spring catalogue.

9EA8D4F3-B8AD-4FFD-9CBE-2648468669CB.jpeg

I pop a hole in the top of them and turn them upside down in a large funnel, into a 5 quart jug. I stand it in a corner out of the way, and let them drain overnight or longer.

Use the five qt. jug the oil came in with a large funnel on top. After pouring used oil in jug, place filter in funnel thread end down to drain. Later, open an inlet hole or two with q-tip middle/toothpick or similar to finish draining. That's it.

Why is this a problem for DIY'ers? As long as the oil is hot, I find it pours out into my drain pan when turned upside down. May do it 2-3 times, then toss in a plastic grocery bag and put in the trash.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Bought this wash-pail insert to drain my oil filters prior to disposing them at the recycling center. $7.50 from Lee Valley. Fits five gallon pails.

www.leevalley.com. Spring catalogue.
OP purchase could have other uses, such as a Parts Cleaning Container.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I pop a hole in the top of them and turn them upside down in a large funnel, into a 5 quart jug. I stand it in a corner out of the way, and let them drain overnight or longer.
I like this method for Filters. Easy, simple and then can be cut open, inspected and then recycled.

I'm putting off my next drain pan purchase (because the basic round one that I currently have is working fine), but the next drain pan I get will be a large rectangle (instead of the circle that I now have), and several of those have a raise ridge that you can rest an oil filter on. Part of the problem now with my basic round pan is that by the time I get the filter off, the pan is full of hot oil, and I have to hold it for several seconds while I'm draining out a lot--but not all--of its oil. With the oil pan of my dreams
grin2.gif
, I can just rest it on that ridge and let it drain away at its own pace.

Even when hot and turned upside down all that oil in the filter will not drain out. Up to an ounce or wore will still remain. It wasn't before I started drilling holes in the dome that I found out how much. And I was surprised.

These days I let them sit out in the summer sun on each side for several days each before almost no additional oil drips out. They don't fully drip drain even in 1-2 days. So each year I collect them and in the summer properly drain them all before bringing them to the recycling center.

Originally Posted by earlyre
pop a vent hole in the dome end w/ a screw driver, and set on top of the same drain pan i use for the oil...

^^^

Originally Posted by paulri
I'm putting off my next drain pan purchase (because the basic round one that I currently have is working fine), but the next drain pan I get will be a large rectangle (instead of the circle that I now have), and several of those have a raise ridge that you can rest an oil filter on. Part of the problem now with my basic round pan is that by the time I get the filter off, the pan is full of hot oil, and I have to hold it for several seconds while I'm draining out a lot--but not all--of its oil. With the oil pan of my dreams
grin2.gif
, I can just rest it on that ridge and let it drain away at its own pace.

Why don't you do the filter first? This way the pan is empty and you can drain the filter more easily. When you upgrade I highly recommend one like this..it is a great pan for several reasons. First, it is $10 at WM. Second, it holds 15 qts so I can do two OCs before emptying it at the recycle station. It also has the filter holder in the corner. After draining the oil it wipes fairly easily and can be stored upright.

20190505_121421.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Why is this a problem for DIY'ers? As long as the oil is hot, I find it pours out into my drain pan when turned upside down. May do it 2-3 times, then toss in a plastic grocery bag and put in the trash.

+1

I just have gallon zip lock bags that I put my used oil filter in and toss in the trash.

I cut them open with my filter cutter tool.

Then I leave the pieces at least a week in the giant funnel above a 3 gallon recycling container, which sits in a clear plastic 5 gallon organizer bin as an overflow and drip catcher. The funnel is held by two t-track knobs with the track mounted on a vertical 2x4, and a base undee the vin.

Then I recycle the metal parts at the metal recycling station, bag the filter and ADB valve for the trash, and recycle the oil.

Now I just let them drain for a couple of days and then throw em away.

Back when I was servicing generators, some bigger engines had spin on filters that were bigger than a roll of paper towels. I used to think about how much oil was going to landfills in these things. Not only were they big, I was changing lots of them every year.
I ended up making a filter crusher for my shop press. Basically, it was a steel sleeve the filter fit into with holes in it for the oil to run out and a top that crushed the filter. I'd get quite a bit out of these big filters. Plus, since we heated the shop with an EPA approved waste oil heater, every little bit helped.

I use a nail through the baseplate hole to open the ADBV. A hole punched in the dome speeds things up too.

Seems to work okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back