Audi A4 2.0TSI timing chain replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know how everyone likes repair pictures, so here's a couple from today's job. 107k on the car, no OCI info but it looks relatively well maintainrd. The car had all the symptoms: correlation codes, extended crank, poor power etc. Here's what I found when I got her all torn down:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old chain was stretched about 1/8 of an inch and the tensioner was maxed out. I didn't get a picture of the new tensioner, but it only ratcheted about 2 notches when the pin was pulled. It got new chains, guides, tensioner, cam bridge, and spool valve. The cam bridge had failed as well, there is a small metal screen that blows out and can get lodged in other oil passages destroying the cams. Luckily, I found the screen and removed it.

And people love European cars so much...

Thanks for the pics. I'm getting dizzy looking at it. More twists than a roller coaster at Cedar point.

I wouldn't want to pay for that repair.

Yup it's the old design and tensioner and I can tell by looking at it those were 10000 mile oil changes not five

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Depends on the age.
Nothing on my BMW is that complex.

Same engine in my wife's Audi and my GTI. I do 5K oil changes on both cars in my signature.
It's long been my opinion these engines wear out the timing chain and related components when doing 10K oil change intervals but
will live trouble free with 5K oil changes unless you have the old tensioner design.

We bought both of them new and my GTI has 158K on it as it's my wife car for a lot of her business travel. Still on the original chain... .
Yes, we love our vehicles and owned Japanese before VAG.

That one tensioner looks like it's about to pop! No VAG in my fleet right now, Nissan and Ford, these don't seem as "high-maintenance" personalities as the VW we once owned.

When you stick to the recommended 10k OCI interval, these things can happen. 5k OCI reduces the likelihood of tensioner failure.

I know how everyone likes repair pictures, so here's a couple from today's job. 107k on the car, no OCI info but it looks relatively well maintainrd. The car had all the symptoms: correlation codes, extended crank, poor power etc. Here's what I found when I got her all torn down:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old chain was stretched about 1/8 of an inch and the tensioner was maxed out. I didn't get a picture of the new tensioner, but it only ratcheted about 2 notches when the pin was pulled. It got new chains, guides, tensioner, cam bridge, and spool valve. The cam bridge had failed as well, there is a small metal screen that blows out and can get lodged in other oil passages destroying the cams. Luckily, I found the screen and removed it.

So many chains! Starting from the one closest to the block which I assume is balance shaft, then timing chain, then oil pump drive chain? That's a lot.

For those talking about 5k OCI, aren't these 10k OCI per Audi/VW? I know on a Tuareg I serviced with the 2.0T when I reset the OLM it said 11,000 miles remaining.

Looks like a costly repair in both parts and labor.

Holy crap!
crazy2.gif
VAG MUST own shares in some company that makes chains, because that's an obscene amount of chain action there. That's a VAG thing though, not a Euro thing. The chain setup on my M5 was ridiculously simple in comparison.

Looks like gravy to me. 7 hours?

I'm sure it burns tons of oil too. Did you sell a new PCV? Otherwise it will be back soon for a rear main seal.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Same engine in my wife's Audi and my GTI. I do 5K oil changes on both cars in my signature.
It's long been my opinion these engines wear out the timing chain and related components when doing 10K oil change intervals but
will live trouble free with 5K oil changes unless you have the old tensioner design.

We bought both of them new and my GTI has 158K on it as it's my wife car for a lot of her business travel. Still on the original chain... .
Yes, we love our vehicles and owned Japanese before VAG.

We always put a 5k sticker in the window, and you wouldnt believe how many people complain that they want to go longer, what am I paying you for with the syn, etc etc etc. Cheap insurance, and youll end up with 1-1.5 additional changes per year on average. I figured Audi wouldve learned with the B6 S4 V8 timing chain debacle, but I guess if it lasts 100k then its all good for them....

Last edited:
A friend has the same engine in an VW Eos and her boyfriend isn't looking forward to a chain job. He wants me to come by and help him out.

Here's what I found when I got her all torn down ...

Is the engine still in the car ... can't quite tell from the pics ... ?

Depends on the age.Nothing on my BMW is that complex. Heh heh M 30s are good for at 300kmiles, M 20s longer. if you changed the belt. Could somebody please school me on the benefits of a 7 foot timing chain or belt? As for a tensioner not being able to handle a 1/4 of slack. That is just plain silly. engineering .

Yep, I like timing belts more and more after seeing these pictures and stories of work inside the front cover! I can do a timing belt change (with WP, tensioner, idler, etc) on either vehicle in my sig (that has a belt) in about 3 hours, no special tools needed.

To answer some questions:

Book time on this is 7 hours. It took me all of that, mostly because it was my first one. I feel confident that I could do it in half the time, next time.

I removed the entire core support/radiator module to do the job. It's much easier that way. You just pull the bumper, drain the coolant, recover the Freon, and the entire front end comes off with a couple bolts. After that it's a wide open work zone.

There are three chains on this engine. Furthest forward is the oil pump drive, the middle chain is the main timing chain, and the inner chain runs the balance shafts. The funny thing about this one was, when I got it all apart the balance shaft marks were lined up PERFECTLY to the painted links on the chain. The chances of that are incredibly slim.

No, it didn't get new sprockets. They looked perfect. It got a new cam bridge due to the filter screen blowing out and a new spool valve, which screws into the center of the intake (right hand, in the pictures) camshaft. Other than that, it got the standard new chain, guides, and tensioner.

To answer some questions:

Book time on this is 7 hours. It took me all of that, mostly because it was my first one. I feel confident that I could do it in half the time, next time.

I removed the entire core support/radiator module to do the job. It's much easier that way. You just pull the bumper, drain the coolant, recover the Freon, and the entire front end comes off with a couple bolts. After that it's a wide open work zone.

There are three chains on this engine. Furthest forward is the oil pump drive, the middle chain is the main timing chain, and the inner chain runs the balance shafts. The funny thing about this one was, when I got it all apart the balance shaft marks were lined up PERFECTLY to the painted links on the chain. The chances of that are incredibly slim.

No, it didn't get new sprockets. They looked perfect. It got a new cam bridge due to the filter screen blowing out and a new spool valve, which screws into the center of the intake (right hand, in the pictures) camshaft. Other than that, it got the standard new chain, guides, and tensioner.

Thanks for the update. You're right about the chances of the balance shaft chain marks lining up. Really appreciate you sharing pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back