Audi A4 2.0TSI timing chain replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by nthach
A friend has the same engine in an VW Eos and her boyfriend isn't looking forward to a chain job.

Well then he probably shouldn't ask her to marry him?

They're not married... yet.

Can somebody explain to me why synthetic oil between 5K-10K miles causes the chain to stretch? What is happening to the oil during that time frame? Is it losing its viscosity? Why doesn't that happen in other engine?

I can't think of technical reason why chain wear would be any different between 5K and 10K of proper synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Can somebody explain to me why synthetic oil between 5K-10K miles causes the chain to stretch? What is happening to the oil during that time frame? Is it losing its viscosity? Why doesn't that happen in other engine?

I can't think of technical reason why chain wear would be any different between 5K and 10K of proper synthetic oil.

Well these engine's are carbon machines , 5k the oil can deal with it ,10k the oil is really loaded up with carbon . That's my take on it , I'm probably out in left field . But I enjoy being there .

IMO it's a design not a lubricant issue. After all why would a tensioner end up having to operate fully extended?

Last edited:

It's a design issue and for some reason, VW loves complex chain drives - the Audi 4.2L V8 is also known for a needlessly convoluted timing drive. The chains themselves look like a Morse Hy-Vo type, not the old school type. It's the tensioners and guide rails responsible for keeping the chains in mesh that cause these problems.

The only other engine that are affected by oil quality for timing chain life is the Ford 4.0L Cologne SOHC V6. Although, Toyotas do develop timing chain slap - more so with the Prius and Camry Hybrid.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

I removed the entire core support/radiator module to do the job. It's much easier that way. You just pull the bumper, drain the coolant, recover the Freon, and the entire front end comes off with a couple bolts. After that it's a wide open work zone.

If there's one thing VW has done right, it's the "service position" on the B-platform cars. Might be something carried over to the current MLB cars.

The friend's Eos is FWD on the A platform, when I took a look at it, it wasn't as cramped as a Honda or Toyota engine bay but this was in the dark.

It is my understanding that GDI produces super fine soot particles that are too small to be caught by the oil filter, and so it acts as an abrasive on timing chains. That is why on a GDI I will never go past 5k on oil. Timing chain wear is also why GM came out with dexos1 Gen2

https://www.lubrizoladditives360.com/gdi-soot-a-new-challenge/

https://phys.org/news/2016-07-gasoline-direct-green-choice.html

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X15000432

You explanation seems plausible. I still wonder if gdi soot would have more effect on the piston and cylinder as they operate under much harsher condition than the chain. So the engine would wear out before the chain but that is not happening.

doing the belt in my 01 TT 1.8T same as the ones i did my traded 01 jetta but tighter working. belt is dry + a full kit for under $300 is used every 75 thou on the jetta that was running great at 200 thou but after retiring i wanted a new toy, the lo mile TT roadster is a 225Q + about 300 hp + torque after simple enhancements. tt belt was done according to carfax but not sure about the rest + removing the plastic impeller water pump says everything was not done. only 50,xxx now but age plays into it as well + crashed valves can cost 3 to 5 G on ANY interference fit engine as most are today$$$

doing the belt in my 01 TT 1.8T same as the ones i did my traded 01 jetta but tighter working. belt is dry + a full kit for under $300 is used every 75 thou on the jetta that was running great at 200 thou but after retiring i wanted a new toy, the lo mile TT roadster is a 225Q + about 300 hp + torque after simple enhancements. tt belt was done according to carfax but not sure about the rest + removing the plastic impeller water pump says everything was not done. only 50,xxx now but age plays into it as well + crashed valves can cost 3 to 5 G on ANY interference fit engine as most are today $$$, they never get any cheaper or simpler!!

Timing chain tensioner failures at relatively low miles are a well known problem on 2.0L VWs and Audis, and when it fails, the chain can skip time or even break, causing major engine damage. This is not a maintenance problem and IMO it isn't a faulty part, it is a bad design. The complexity of this timing chain system leaves me scratching my head. Quality German engineering on this one... NOT!
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...s-faulty-engine-class-action-settlement/
I would much rather replace warped brake rotors than have to deal with this ridiculous monstrosity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back