Clear "protective" film on new vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I may have found the right 4Runner for me and the wife, but it is loaded with this clear protective film on the front bumper, entire hood, mirrors & door edges. Is there anyway this stuff can be removed without damaging the paint? We came with money in hand, but refused to buy the truck with this stuff on it. The sales manager said it could come off with a hairdryer, lol. Small areas, such as the mirrors and door edge areas don't really bother me, but the entire hood does. Does car shopping now require a hairdryer?

Funny you mention this, I was in the body shop today before my e36 got painted, and they had to respray the front end of an 03 Audi Rs6 because the film wouldnt come off. It was originally applied in 2004, so they may be more forgiving now.

Depends on how long that stuff has been on for. Heat alone is usually not enough to get it off. The plastic might peel off, but the glue that stays behind is a huge pain to get off. The one thing that I've noticed works really well to get the glue off is simple cooking vegetable oil.

I would contact the manufacture to see what they advise. If it is doable then get an estimate from a paint shop or detailer on the cost to remove. Reduce the selling price to cover the removal cost. Ed

Originally Posted by nobb
Depends on how long that stuff has been on for. Heat alone is usually not enough to get it off. The plastic might peel off, but the glue that stays behind is a huge pain to get off.

This. If you decide to live with it, Rejex seems to help keep the film in good condition and was actually endorsed by 3M.

Why on earth would you NOT want it? (Unless they're charging you extra and you don't want to pay for it?) These newer clear bras by 3M, Xpel, etc. are excellent products.

If you want to throw $1,000 worth of chip guard in the trash... it comes right off with a hairdryer. Or without a hairdryer, for that matter.

19 out of 20 customers DO want the 3m protective film. Most people don't like rock chips ...

However, the mark-up is extreme. Cost is usually about $ 200 - $ 300, but dealers sell the package for as much as $ 1500 ... ! Negotiate like crazy if you don't want it.

Last edited:
I'm going to check with my local Toyota dealer on Friday to see if he can locate one (4Runner) without the sticky tape. Since I keep my vehicles for a long time, my concern is how this stuff will look in 7, 10, or more years.

You are not buying a rare vehicle and it was a bit silly to pay for a dealer markup in the first place.

Walk away. Get one from sale by private owner. Too much BS to wade through otherwise in addition to the at least 2k markup.

Do take it to a mechanic to assess.

I have 3M chip guard on my Fusion and it's been great. I do mostly highway driving and it has held up pretty nicely and has protected the paint. I had to replace my rear bumper due to an accident and when I went to get another chip guard installed at a different shop, they told me to stay away from 3M because it does not come off without taking paint with it. They recommended Xpel since it is removable. Is it a full hood or partial?

I would find out what brand was used and verify that it can be removed or request that they take it off before selling the car to you.

On a side note, my Explorer is going to get Road Guard PPF next week. This product is removable and self-healing, according to the manufacturer (unlike 3M).

https://autobahnwindowfilms.com/products/ppf/

Originally Posted by Rumble
Since I keep my vehicles for a long time, my concern is how this stuff will look in 7, 10, or more years.

How will your vehicle look in 7, 10, or more years with all the rock chips and blemishes without this stuff?

It will look YELLOW after that long with that stuff on it. Trust me. I know. Used it on my Accord and when I finally took it off, had to use gasoline. Ruined the finish because even with a plastic squeegee thing, it will scratch the paint. I'd walk away. This stuff just doesn't peel off.

Originally Posted by geeman789
19 out of 20 customers DO want the 3m protective film.

That's because 19 out of 20 customers have never had this product on their vehicle before so they don't know what happens to it over time. I had this stuff (made by 3M) applied to one of my brand new vehicles and after about 5 or 6 years it yellowed and cracked. Never again...

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Rumble
Since I keep my vehicles for a long time, my concern is how this stuff will look in 7, 10, or more years.

How will your vehicle look in 7, 10, or more years with all the rock chips and blemishes without this stuff?

This stuff doesn't prevent rock chips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back