Clear paint protection. Yay or nay?

Thinking about getting the hood and fenders wrapped with Xpel paint protection film on the 2019 BMW 540 I brought last night. Also getting all 4 door cups and clear door edge guards. I've heard the clear paint protection sometimes becomes yellow. Is that true? 10-year warranty against yellowing

They all become yellow over time. It is more evident on certain colors than others.

XPEL tends to have a somewhat heavy texture.

Maybe 3M is better? I'm not gonna drive the car on the freeway. So, It's still a maybe thought
I like the STEK film. Have it on my truck and a few other cars. Optically, it has minimal texture and has stayed reasonably clear after two years on white paint.

I have 3m film on the '07 Accord from new, and it still looks good. Hood isn't all chipped up, and we've been on the highway quite a bit with this car. The car was garage kept until a few years ago, so that probably helped the film last as long as it has.

I have 3m film on the '07 Accord from new, and it still looks good. Hood isn't all chipped up, and we've been on the highway quite a bit with this car. The car was garage kept until a few years ago, so that probably helped the film last as long as it has.
I agree. I have 3m film on my 2008 Subaru Outback, applied when new, and it still looks the same as when it was applied.

It will save your paint however for the cost you of it you can have an automotive body shop do some touch up painting. I would do the small areas such as your door edge guards and cups. If you have to repaint the bumper cover in a few years it's probably about the same price and will look better all the time. I had the bumper cover on my Corvette repainted due to a few rock chips but the car is 15 years old. I paid $500 cash to have it repainted and feel it was better than paying for the Xpel. I can spot Xpel paint protection on cars and it is not totally invisible and very costly to have installed. That's just my 2 cents but I would rather have a vehicle touched up and not pay anything up front. Most people trade their cars before they get to the point where they need a bumper cover repainted. I noticed in your signature (OP) that this is your only car. If its your only car to drive I would pay the extra money to have the paint protection. Everybody's situation is different and in your case I would probably pay the extra money because you have an expensive BMW. It's very difficult to keep a vehicle looking perfect if you drive it daily.

i just applied 3M clear film to the headlights of all of our vehicles. Bumpers get chewed up and they look less new. Headlights get chewed up and their function decreases. My used Lexus was purchased with a repainted bumper and new headlights. 2 years later and the headlamps already show wear. Once I figured it out on my car, I bought more for the truck and the wife’s car. I think it’s worth it there.

I've been getting clear bras installed on every car since at least 2008.
Crossfire, RX-8, 500 Sport, 500 Abarth, CX-5, Cayman, Giulia and now waiting to get it installed on the new Stelvio next Monday.

Here in CO, there is so much road debris that gets thrown up all year long, you can't keep the paint in decent condition is you drive on any regular basis.

Back