Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slomo
Originally Posted by atikovi
Auto tech teacher years ago (early 80's) said to avoid all motor oil from Pennsylvania sourced crude so no Pennzoil or Quaker State. Don't remember why but assume it only applies to conventional anyway.

Couldn't disagree more.

Just to be fair, all oils did this back in the day. Penzoil yellow bottle was the worst for paraffin sludge buildup.

So you're contradicting yourself?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Mobil 1 didn't
wink.gif

That's true, but the price differential between Mobil 1 and Essolube conventional back then was astronomical. It's not like now where we can make a guess of a CT special on conventional being just under $15 and the synthetic just under $30. Those days, you were looking at the price being 4 to 6 times higher, sometimes worse. I remember seeing M1 for $7 a litre when name brand conventionals could still occasionally be found for under $1 per litre.

Here's my QS green bottle story. Dad bought a brand new 1968 Ford F100 with the 360 FE engine. He ran nothing but petroleum grade QS oil for over 30 years. His oil at changing time was crystal clear on the stick. You actually had to take the dip stick out in the sun to CHECK the oil level. Couldn't see the level in the garage at all. This lasted for 30 years. Around 2001, due to a small oil pan gasket leak, he had the motor rebuilt. It leaked the size of a quarter to a dime in a couple days time. Motor went to the machine shop. The guys thought it was a joke. The entire engine was still in factory specs on ALL tolerances. They washed and painted the block and put new gaskets in her. Yup dad was anal with that truck LOL. Oil was changed every April and October for the year. Good old 10w-40 ran like a champ. Motor had only 132,000 miles on her.

And don't forget the Turtle Wax Super Hard shell applied at oil changes. That factory 1968 paint still shines like new today. Zero fading or paint peeling like modern cars LOL.

Let's not forget the leaded fuel and NO cat converters. That truck will stink you out of the garage when he fires it up. Obviously not the cleanest burning engine out there LOL. Oil could be poured back into the block at changing times.

The web page for QS conventional is full of these stories. They're probably cherry picked, and other brands probably have the same stories posted but QS does have a very loyal fan base.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ad244
...my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has.

That's all that matters. Keep using it. Be happy.

Waiting for folks to come along with criticisms of it now.... Oooops, already happened !
grin.gif

&Again.
QS blows.
I wouldn't put 20oz in a lawn mower.

Ok, what if it only held 15 Oz like my new Craftsman ?

^Not Funny.^okay, now a little backstory...........my mower required a re-power due to high oil usage (B&S 3.75hp, dozen years use)
neighbor sold home & left a mower at the curb for Spring Clean up/recycle, sounded bad but I figured loose blade, plugger filter,fouled plug. $11 later had a nice,free, B&S 6hp
on my mower deck, near zero oil burn dozen years later. It's a free junk motor & I would pour 5k used Castrol GTX in it before I poured 'new' green bottle QS.
Their newer synth products might be the Cat's Meow but I won't know.

I started running QSUD in my 2002 Odyssey for the 1st time in January, and it is indeed noticeably quieter. I don't know if quiet translates to less engine wear, but it can't be a bad thing. I'll probably stick with it. Can't beat the price. Seems to turn darker sooner, though. Don't know if I can conclude anything from that.

Low volatility, moly, good TBN, slightly thicker, meets or exceeds GF-5, Dexos2 turbo approved, LSPI resistant, good price....what is there not to like?
And oh...a 300,000 mile engine warranty if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
I use it if it was on rebate (i.e. $10 per 5 qt), but they are usually not on rebate as much as Valvoline or Pennzoil, so I don't use it much.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Low volatility, moly, good TBN, slightly thicker, meets or exceeds GF-5, Dexos2 turbo approved, LSPI resistant, good price....what is there not to like?
And oh...a 300,000 mile engine warranty if you are so inclined.

Wow!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by JLTD
I haven't used QS for years, after their oils causing (or reputed to cause) sludging back in the 70s and 80s. I know, I know, things have changed a WHOLE lot since then, but many may carry the same antiquated knowledge into an unconscious bias.

No doubt it is a good oil but after seeing it being scraped out of a oil pan way back in the 70's just turned me off from the brand.

Just to be fair, all oils did this back in the day. Penzoil yellow bottle was the worst for paraffin sludge buildup.

Not according to Canadians to them it was Castrol.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Mobil 1 didn't
wink.gif

"Back in the day," my experience was that some brands of conventional oil (including QS, about which I'd been warned) made sludge, and some didn't, assuming reasonable change intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vw7674

&Again.
QS blows.
I wouldn't put 20oz in a lawn mower.

^Not Funny.^okay, now a little backstory...........my mower required a re-power due to high oil usage (B&S 3.75hp, dozen years use)
neighbor sold home & left a mower at the curb for Spring Clean up/recycle, sounded bad but I figured loose blade, plugger filter,fouled plug. $11 later had a nice,free, B&S 6hp
on my mower deck, near zero oil burn dozen years later. It's a free junk motor & I would pour 5k used Castrol GTX in it before I poured 'new' green bottle QS.
Their newer synth products might be the Cat's Meow but I won't know.

Your posts are a example of logic failure.

Auto tech teacher years ago (early 80's) said to avoid all motor oil from Pennsylvania sourced crude so no Pennzoil or Quaker State. Don't remember why but assume it only applies to conventional anyway.

Couldn't disagree more.

So you're contradicting yourself?

No he is saying if you used any motor oil 4 decades ago or earlier it would cause sludge.

The worst engine I've ever cracked open was a 1978 Chevy 305 (this was back in 1988) that according to the original owner the only oil ever used was Valvoline.
The sludge was so bad the oil drains at each end of the heads was almost closed shut....it was a mess.
Proves all oils have limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back