Toyota genuine conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Toyota dealer is selling Toyota genuine conventional oil for $2.88 a quart which is a pretty sweet deal as far as I'm concerned. I've heard it's made by Exxon Mobil. Is this just rebottled Mobil super 5000?

Last edited:
I'd rather purchase the Mobil 1 for less than $15 for a 5 qt jug after rebate, or the Supertech full synthetic for about the same price.

Last edited:
Can someone please answer the question instead of going on tangents regarding which other oil they prefer?

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
Can someone please answer the question instead of going on tangents regarding which other oil they prefer?

Not familiar with the oil prices in Cali, but if it's like everything else that sounds pretty cheap. Toyota wouldn't bottle garbage and rebadge it as their own. I would buy a couple oil changes worth and see if it works out. Would likely be on par with Mobil or Pennzoil conventional.

"Genuine" should only be used with real synthetic. Conventional is conventional. Not sure what's so genuine about that. they didn't add water to it?

Check the oil analysis forum. Is there a voa?

Good luck with that around here. Tagents are what we do here, that and answer the question we want to answer, vs what was asked. All the better if we get to show how intellectually superior we are, even if clueless.

I had a UOA done on Toyota dealer oil in a Prius. (it is in the UOA forum if you look back) and it came out looking more like Mobil Special than Mobil 5000. The caveat is that I really could not get a straight answer about what was used.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
"Genuine" should only be used with real synthetic. Conventional is conventional. Not sure what's so genuine about that. they didn't add water to it?

Its Genuine Toyota.
Not Genuine Synthetic.
34.gif

Buy a quart and a Wix OA kit and have it checked for about $14 total, then go from there researching the VOA database here or on the interwebz.

Or, since you can get many high quality synthetics that meet every Toyota requirement for oil for around $2.54/qt after rebate, go that route and gain all the benefits of a synthetic. If you had a Rural King or Big R you could shop at, you could pick up Harvest King conventional for less than $2/qt regular price ($9/5qts) and still meet Toyota's requirements. There is nothing "special" about Toyota branded oil these days other than the green and silver stickers on them.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

According to TOYOTA TSB, ( which i posted over a decade ago ... )

Any ILSAC GF-5 (previouly GF-4)

is "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil"
This is what ILSAC was convened for: the creation of and licensing of general motor oil specification for American and Asian (AAMA & JAMA) Vehicles sold and serviced in the U.S.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It's probably their own formulation made for them. If I used conventional and had a Toyota I would use it without hesitation and never think further except about price.

Thank you for saying that. There's too much not-answering-questions here.

As to your answer, I don't know.

The local Toyota dealer is selling Toyota genuine conventional oil for $2.88 a quart which is a pretty sweet deal as far as I'm concerned. I've heard it's made by Exxon Mobil. Is this just rebottled Mobil super 5000?

I'll answer your question.. I was using the Genuine Toyota oil, 5w20 and 5w30. Turns out (I am going to make the mobil fans angry here) that Mobil was using an inferior base oil that was shearing/thinning out on it's own! I have the UOA's to prove it. It used to be a very good oil, but Toyota doesn't have any control over the base oil that Mobil uses, only the additives they put into the recipe. But again, ever since the stock/base oil changed, it's not something I would have confidence in using.

Yes, this is my own opinion but when an oil thins out on its own after just being in a stored vehicle, that makes me take notice! And to all those who ask if there was leaks, etc.. no, there were no leaks, etc.

I can always recommend what I did go to for my toyota (scion tc, uses the 2az-fe camry engine) is castrol magnatec 5w30. Not sure what grade oil you were looking at, but that's the path I took. And have been quite happy. Actually the Magnatec gets wear numbers almost exactly like the old (good) Genuine Toyota oil did.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Buy a quart and a Wix OA kit and have it checked for about $14 total, then go from there researching the VOA database here or on the interwebz.

Or, since you can get many high quality synthetics that meet every Toyota requirement for oil for around $2.54/qt after rebate, go that route and gain all the benefits of a synthetic. If you had a Rural King or Big R you could shop at, you could pick up Harvest King conventional for less than $2/qt regular price ($9/5qts) and still meet Toyota's requirements. There is nothing "special" about Toyota branded oil these days other than the green and silver stickers on them.

Conventional and Synthetic are marketing terms.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It's probably their own formulation made for them. If I used conventional and had a Toyota I would use it without hesitation and never think further except about price.

I'd use it without question, but given what we're dealing with here, is it really likely to be anything more than the bulk conventional of the lowest bidder? Current Toyota vehicles in North America to the best of my knowledge specify 0w-20 across the board. There may be an exception, but I can't think of any, particularly with respect to the 5w-20 grade. What reward would there be for Toyota to specify a certain blend of 5w-20 for vehicles not current and mostly out of warranty?

Given the low price of even their synthetic up here, I'm pretty sure it's not their take on Red Line or Amsoil SS, either. In both cases, they meet specifications and are priced competitively, which already puts Toyota miles ahead of every other dealer network in North America.

Originally Posted by researcher

I'll answer your question.. I was using the Genuine Toyota oil, 5w20 and 5w30. Turns out (I am going to make the mobil fans angry here) that Mobil was using an inferior base oil that was shearing/thinning out on it's own!

Yes, this is my own opinion but when an oil thins out on its own after just being in a stored vehicle, that makes me take notice! And to all those who ask if there was leaks, etc.. no, there were no leaks, etc.

I would argue that's not an oil problem that's an engine/fuel system problem!

Overall get the oil with the least VM% and an DP suitable for your intended interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by researcher

I'll answer your question.. I was using the Genuine Toyota oil, 5w20 and 5w30. Turns out (I am going to make the mobil fans angry here) that Mobil was using an inferior base oil that was shearing/thinning out on it's own!

I would argue that's not an oil problem that's an engine/fuel system problem!

Overall get the oil with the least VM% and an DP suitable for your intended interval.

Thanks for your opinion.. Ok, well you can disagree all you like, but I've seen the change in the Mobil base oil for the TGMO "Conventional" oil. Fact is, that oil was changed and the car sat, interesting that there is no fuel leakage into that oil, oh that's right I had it tested for fuel.

Go ahead and argue but I'm not buying it.. Mobil cheapened their base oil and that's that. I have since switched to Magnatec and no more thinning out. And yes for an experiment I actually drained the oil of the stored car (not running at all) and filled it with another oil and that oil didn't thin out just sitting in the crankcase. Interesting how that worked. Proved to me what I needed to see. Odd but it happened.

So with that experiment I went looking for something else, not here to advertise or promote what worked for me but it was enough for me not to go back to the TGMO conventional stuff anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back