Filtering New Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always wondered. If Synthetic oil is made from modified petroleum products, like Natural Gas, to avoid impurities found in crude, and many swear by the benefits of purity in terms of wear and oil change intervals, could I filter regular oil before using it to get it to that level of purity?

I read that full-flow filters capture 50% of 10 micron particles and its absolute micron rating (98.7%) is 25 microns. Also, anything over 5 microns has an abrasive impact. So we know you can have many 5-20 micron particles in used oil. An old-school toilet paper bypass filter captures particles down to 1 micron.

But what about ensuring the purity of new oil to minimize abrasives?

If I attach a 1 micron toilet paper or spun poly filter to a new jug of regular oil and let it gravity feed into an empty jug, would there be a benefit? What size of impurities are in regular oil? Would it help to ensure the purity of whatever you just bought on sale? Would you be removing additives at 1 micron and making the oil worse?

What are you trying to gain? Most properly maintained vehicles engines out last the first and second owners.

It is funny how we worry about tiny levels of stuff in motor oil for our cars but pay little attention to the LDL,and triglyceride levels in our own blood. We may wear out faster than the cars!

Originally Posted by Boomer
It is funny how we worry about tiny levels of stuff in motor oil for our cars but pay little attention to the LDL,and triglyceride levels in our own blood. We may wear out faster than the cars!

Jeez that was funny! Lol!
lol.gif

Or pay for an analysis to see if you can run a 5k oil for 30k.

So true!

Back to the OP: The oil will go through the filter pretty quick, and then again, and again, and again, and.... It's not like it's full of rocks and twigs when you dump it in. Just clean off the funnel before you use, and then think nothing of it--no one else does, and too many cars go to stupid high miles while running cheap bulk oil.

People will push OCI's to 15-20K miles or more and worry about filtering fresh oil out of a bottle. I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
Speaking of toilet paper, what do toilet paper and the Starship Enterprise have in common?

They both fly around Uranus and pick off Klingons

Originally Posted by demarpaint
People will push OCI's to 15-20K miles or more and worry about filtering fresh oil out of a bottle. I wouldn't worry about it.

I often change oil because I don't like the way it looks. I'd probably stroke out if I ever pulled the dipstick and it looked like molten asphalt.

I shake up the bottle, pour it in and let the vehicle filter do the rest. Hasn't failed me yet and I keep my vehicles well past the junk points of most folks. Not to mention the folks that get their oil changed at quick-lube places where the oil comes from a bulk tank all the time and those vehicles seem to get along just fine without pre-filtered fresh oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edgrrr
I have always wondered. If Synthetic oil is made from modified petroleum products, like Natural Gas, to avoid impurities found in crude, and many swear by the benefits of purity in terms of wear and oil change intervals, could I filter regular oil before using it to get it to that level of purity?

I read that full-flow filters capture 50% of 10 micron particles and its absolute micron rating (98.7%) is 25 microns. Also, anything over 5 microns has an abrasive impact. So we know you can have many 5-20 micron particles in used oil. An old-school toilet paper bypass filter captures particles down to 1 micron.

If I attach a 1 micron toilet paper or spun poly filter to a new jug of regular oil and let it gravity feed into an empty jug, would there be a benefit? What size of impurities are in regular oil? Would it help to ensure the purity of whatever you just bought on sale? Would you be removing additives at 1 micron and making the oil worse?

I read there are very wide variations in crude oil , as it comes out of the ground . The most obvious is " thickness " & maybe color , smell .

I think the oil sands product from Canada , is very thick , almost like asphalt ? Think the Saudi oil is fairly thick ? You have probably heard of the benchmark sweet , light West Texas Crude .

So , a barrel of crude also contains Hundreds ? Thousands ? Millions ? Of different kinds of molecules . Refining separates them into different " groups " , first based , largely on boiling point / " thickness " . With in those " groups " , there are different varieties of major compounds .

For example , gasoline is broken down into pentane , hexane , heptane and octane .

Now , as far as " impurities " , I read oil & gas commonly come out of sand or rock formations . So , you can easily see those impurities being in the oil ( along with salt water and just about anything else you can imagine ) . How much successfully is filtered out of conventional motor oil ? Do not know .

Easy to see why you would wish there to be no sand or rock partials in your motor oil .

Now , if the synthetic motor oil is made from successfully filtered ( do not know if that is a big deal ? ) natural gas , I can see the final product ( synthetic motor oil ) containing fewer impurities .

So , after this long winded discussion , I regret to say I do not know what level of inpurities are contained in engine oil , either conventional of synthetic . :-(

Originally Posted by D1dad
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I often change oil because I don't like the way it looks. I'd probably stroke out if I ever pulled the dipstick and it looked like molten asphalt.

I hear ya!
wink.gif
Molten asphalt, no thanks.

Originally Posted by supton
You should see what comes out of diesel engines--jet black.

I've got a 2000 psd 7.3. Never had jet black oil come out, still looks new. Then again I change it twice a year, 10-30 in the winter and 15-40 for summer and fall. My truck only has 170k and I don't know if I've ever went 5k on an oil though.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Originally Posted by supton
You should see what comes out of diesel engines--jet black.

I've got a 2000 psd 7.3. Never had jet black oil come out, still looks new. Then again I change it twice a year, 10-30 in the winter and 15-40 for summer and fall. My truck only has 170k and I don't know if I've ever went 5k on an oil though.

Mine had EGR, and from new the oil turned black within miles. Nature of the beast. I wonder if yours doesn't have EGR. I did initial oil change at 5k, second at 5k, then did 10k OCI's for the next 100k or so, slowly drifted out to 14k. Around 260k I went back to 10k OCI's as I got it chipped and put on a larger turbo. Wound up selling it off at the 314k mark. At 32k/year I did 2-3 oil changes per year.

Originally Posted by edgrrr

New oil isn't always clean oil so yeah there would be an improvement. Certainly there are 1 micron size particles and larger. So you would start with really clean oil.
Will it make a difference? I dunno. Probably not a decenable difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back