can oil cause detonation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1978- Keep on keepin on with the 5W40 it is better suited for you than most. That same 5.0 engine was used in the mustangs of which the track packs and higher performance versions called for 5W50 so that 40WT certainly isn't hurting you one bit. Don't be persuaded by the thin oil crowd who do nothing but commute in their Camry or Focus and use 0W20 cause the manual says so!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
1978- Keep on keepin on with the 5W40 it is better suited for you than most. That same 5.0 engine was used in the mustangs of which the track packs and higher performance versions called for 5W50 so that 40WT certainly isn't hurting you one bit. Don't be persuaded by the thin oil crowd who do nothing but commute in their Camry or Focus and use 0W20 cause the manual says so!

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same. Im trying different oil in hopes of getting rid of the typwriter tick. Im probably not going to but its worth a shot. Next change will a 10w30 and we'll see what happens. racin4ds, I see you're in Ocala, going up there this weekend riding, hardrock to be exact. My family frequently camp and ride in the forest in different places.

Use Marathon gas and QSUD 10w30
smile.gif

That should solve it.
QSUD 10w30 being good down to about -10F
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Env1ous
I couldn't find a thicker 5w-30 so I went with a 40.

You can, if you look hard enough. Look at my signature. Alternatively there are 0w-30 and 5w-30 A3/B4 and C3 lubricants available.

I couldn't find a thicker 5w-30 so I went with a 40. I am tuned in my ecoboost and running around 20-22psi on the small turbos and want/feel more comfortable with a thicker oil.
Been looking at Castrol Edge 5w-30

If you're willing to try a 10W30 for summer, M1 HM in that grade has HTHS=3.5 (and is also SN+ for DITs like mine).
May not be a great choice for winter in CO...

Originally Posted by MParr
5W40 oil is too thick for your F-150. Ford requirement is 5W20 Motorcraft blend. You can get by with 5W30.
FLUIDS AND CAPACITIES
Engine oil: SAE 5W-30 synthetic blend (2.7L, 3.5L), SAE 5W-30 diesel motor oil (3.0L diesel), 5W-20 synthetic blend (3.3L, 5.0L); capacity is 6.0 quarts (5.7 liters) - 2.7L, 3.3L, 3.5L; 6.5 quarts (6.15 liters) - 3.0L diesel; 8.8 quarts (8.3 liters) - 5.0L
Coolant: Motorcraft Orange; capacity is 15.1 quarts (14.3 liters) - 2.7L; 13.7 quarts (13.0 liters) - 3.0L diesel; 13.6 quarts (12.86 liters) - 3.3L; 15.2 quarts (14.35 liters) - 3.5L; 13.9 quarts (13.2 liters) - 5.0L
Brake fluid: DOT 4 LV High Performance Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
Automatic transmission fluid: Mercon LV - 2.7L, 5.0L; Mercon ULV - 3.0L diesel, 3.3L, 3.5L; capacity is 13.1 quarts (12.4 liters)
Diesel exhaust fluid: Capacity is 22.5 quarts (21.3 liters)
Also, 87 octane gas containing 10% ethanol isn't that great. It may be okay for a 1987 Oldsmobile beater with 8.5:1 compression ratio.

So not to start anything at all, and I am in no way in any official or unofficial capacity endorsing this, but OP could run a 5W50 without clearance issues. My 2014 Track Pack with a 5.0 calls for 5W50 and the cam journal, main bearing, and conrod bearing clearances are identical or within .001" of the 18 being looser.

Something of note on the newer, 2018+, 5.0 engines is they have been having oil consumption issues related to the sprayed on cylinder walls. They are using plenty thick enough rings its 1.22mm, 1.22mm, 2.03mm ring widths so that shouldn't be the issue.

They also use a Grafal coating which means Mahle is the OEM vendor.

well folks, I filled up with premium and the pre ignition went away for the most part. Back on 87 now and the sound is coming back. Seems like the Gen3 Coyote has a stock tune that rides the timing right on the jagged edge of detonation. I have not experienced any oil consumption at all, this engine has about 9k on the clock.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I couldn't find a thicker 5w-30 so I went with a 40. I am tuned in my ecoboost and running around 20-22psi on the small turbos and want/feel more comfortable with a thicker oil.
Been looking at Castrol Edge 5w-30

If you're willing to try a 10W30 for summer, M1 HM in that grade has HTHS=3.5 (and is also SN+ for DITs like mine).
May not be a great choice for winter in CO...

Im going to try 10w30 QSUD on my next change, a bit new here but from what I read it seems many 10w30 add packs seem more stout for some reason and the QSUD gets quite a bit of praise on BITOG and reports well on UOA's, so for the price point of less than 20 bucks a jug I will give it a try.

I get bad pinging whenever I use Shell gas in an old '02 Taurus 3.0.

FWIW the car loves Kroger fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back