'94 Grand Am Steering Column Pivot Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need the (2) pivot pins that hold the steering housing to the steering support. One on each side for a total of 2. Evidently they fell out & are nowhere to be found! I'm not sure what held it into place besides friction.The steering wheel moves all over the place, natch. Does anyone know the p/n for the pivot pins? It's #48 in this parts diagram.
It appears that it may be part of spring kit p/n 26045314. However that kit is discontinued & no longer available from any dealer in the US. I also couldn't find it on ebay or anywhere else.

Any other thoughts on how to make the pivot pins or substitute part? If I had a picture perhaps machine shop could make it or 3D print it.

Thank you.

It's not the pins that wear out, they're made from steel. It's the housing that wears out, it's aluminium. Replacing the pins alone won't fix your problem.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com is the place to go. They have oversize pins from GM tilt housings, along with whatever parts you need.

Typically the holes these pins press into to become oval shaped creating looseness in the tilt. These pins measure .380 diameter shaft, .405 shoulder (.005 oversized from OEM) and .890 tall. This oversized measurement is designed to take up MOST of the play in the column. We cannot guarantee complete tightness as each column is worn differently, but this is the cheapest method in an attempt to remedy the looseness.

Thanks for the link! Learn something everyday.
Unfortunately their oversize pins (p/n pin02-over) are too small for my vehicle. All they have are the new OEM original size pins for $48.22 (for a pair) + shipping = ~$60. I wonder if one pin would be sufficient.

"When you install the new pin(s), you will need to ‘peen' over the aluminum edges of the housing hole to help prevent it from coming out again (or) epoxy the large portion of the pin so it fastens itself to the housing when it dries allowing the smaller portion ro move inside the inner support housing."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back