Why the need to replace suspension springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about people replacing springs on their vehicles . Is this a salt belt thing ?

I have never broken a spring . I have never replaced a spring ?

Thanks , :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 broken springs on the rear struts on my '02 ford explorer. I could have just bought the shock part of the struts, if they were still good. But after 100k miles, the springs start to sag a little . The replacement Quick-struts lifted the car up a couple of inch's, and the ride is 100% better.,,,

Last edited:
Broke a coil spring on the front end of my 2004 F150. From the outside, it was not readily apparent that it was corrosion related. Doesn't mean it wasn't, but it did not appear to be.

In that case, mileage, and years, Quick Struts were a cheap and quick fix to the problem. (Yes, I know they are not struts in the true sense of the word - coil over shock is more like it...)

Quick struts are awesome because they include the springs and are already assembled
smile.gif

Springs can sag over time

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
... inch's...

Really? I mean with all respect, oh no you di'nt.

Yes that's true, almost 1.5 inches over new GM OE on a W body and they did not settle like they claimed it would.

Springs can sag. Some cars are known for having saggy springs.

And quick struts can be both cheap and fast to install, rather than dealing with a spring compressor. My Camry is known for saggy rear springs, so when I thought it was sagging a bit, quickstruts was the cheap&fast way to resolve all four corners for little money and effort. My VW, when it needed struts, always reused the springs, even after 10 years, as they were still good and I didn't want to mess with the ride (a beater Camry, no such care).

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Quick struts are awesome because they include the springs and are already assembled
smile.gif

THIS times 100.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I read about people replacing springs on their vehicles . Is this a salt belt thing ?

I have never broken a spring . I have never replaced a spring ?

Metal fatigue is a thing. Springs, over time, are subject to it, and thus can sag. They lose some of their.. springiness..

With the advent of quick-struts, replacing the springs along with the shocks/struts makes the whole thing orders of magnitude easier and safer.. not to mention faster.

I usually replace them because they're broken but it's been a while. I also used to recommend replacing them at the same time as the shocks or struts due to fatigue as SirTanon alluded to.

Even the springs on my Mercedes have sagged a little once it went a bit over 100k.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Only if they are cracked or broken. Hasnt happened to me yet. Or if you want stiffer ride or suspension.

Ditto. In California outside of the coastal areas or Tahoe, springs can live a long life.

Quick-struts are not the end all be all for spring replacement unless they are from an OEM parts brand(Motorcraft or ACDelco GM OE), or the springs have the same height and rate as OEM.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Springs can sag over time

My old Infiniti had a visibly saggy rear-end. Quick-struts fixed that right up.

Ford had some issues with strut springs breaking and there was a safety recall as they broke in the early 2000's. Not sure when they got it corrected but I know it hit my wagon going down highway at 70 mph and ripped into the cv joint boot along with dragging bottom front of car on the ground. Was not a heap repair and Ford did not help me out. Said i wouldn't buy another one but I did due to price.

The rear springs on 2nd gen prii tend to break. So they're either under-engineered or the rest of the car outlives what would be a normal life of 250k.
smile.gif

Metal fatigue weakens them, as does Ford (& other idiot manufacturers) stupid idea of putting plastic over coil springs to keep moisture & salt in, so they rust & break faster. Genius!

Originally Posted by eljefino
The rear springs on 2nd gen prii tend to break. So they're either under-engineered or the rest of the car outlives what would be a normal life of 250k.
smile.gif

Now that you say that, maybe I should look into a set of Tanabe or H&R springs - but they will also lower the car and getting rear ended by a brodozer is always on my mind.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
... inch's...

Really? I mean with all respect, oh no you di'nt.

Yes that's true, almost 1.5 inches over new GM OE on a W body and they did not settle like they claimed it would.

My Focus got a little lift on the front as well with kyb quickstruts. Also the quick struts have a couple extra coils in the spring compared to OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back