Why doesn't anybody make aftermarket wiper arms?

The springs got weak, and Subaru doesn't sell the wiper arms anymore!

I tried buying Chinese springs on eBay, but they were too big and didn't fit! So I had to put the old spring back on, which itself took a hell of a time, and now the spring has no tension in it at all :poop:

I only tried the rear wiper and didn't touch the front one, though I did buy 3 springs. I have to buy a new rear wiper arm, at a cost of $50 for a used one :(

Are there any universal/aftermarket wiper arms? Trico claims to make 5 million wiper arms a year, but apparently zero for the aftermarket. Even Amazon and Alibaba/Aliexpress came up short.

Go to Discount Tire they will replace them for a fairly reasonable cost. My Honda Civic has the replaceable rubber inserts and it is very inexpensive to replace them. I do know that DT will help you out without an extreme cost and they will install them for you too.

I gave up on fleabay hardware.

Measure the existing spring, take a guess at the spring rate, and order a couple of the correct size from McMaster. No affiliation, they have just saved me more times than I can count.

1706925264431.jpg

They have brand new from the dealer.

Rear

Front left..

The right side looks discontinued but the part# is 86532FC030

I honestly didn't know the 99-02 had a different rear wiper arm than the 98! It should fit, though :unsure:

The 98 rear wiper arm is -050 and isn't listed as superseded by -051

I was involved when our stamping company was considering quoting to supply these OEM wiper arms to Valeo. The biggest obstacle for these parts is that they are considered a "show surface" so the manufacturer has to have special part protection systems in place to prevent scratches into the metal surface before and after stamping, and also before and after painting.

Lots of companies walk away from this class of part supply because of the extreme cost of delivering visually perfect parts. Show surfaces are anything the car owner can see or touch without having to get into awkward positions. They are usually 3x more expensive to produce with all the extra production protection needed and extensive QC costs.

Dorman has entered the business after OEM's cease to provide.

I was involved when our stamping company was considering quoting to supply these OEM wiper arms to Valeo. The biggest obstacle for these parts is that they are considered a "show surface" so the manufacturer has to have special part protection systems in place to prevent scratches into the metal surface before and after stamping, and also before and after painting.

Lots of companies walk away from this class of part supply because of the extreme cost of delivering visually perfect parts. Show surfaces are anything the car owner can see or touch without having to get into awkward positions. They are usually 3x more expensive to produce with all the extra production protection needed and extensive QC costs.

Dorman has entered the business after OEM's cease to provide.

It's just too bad the OE suppliers (Valeo, Bosch, Denso, etc) don't sell aftermarket wiper arms :(

Back