PYB in gen3 F150 coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and a coworker both have f150's with the gen3 5.0. During lunch one day we were discussing oil changes and he mentioned he uses PYB 10w30. This engine is port and DI and I believe requires SN plus. My question is would this oil contain a suitable add pack for this engine and how does PYB 10w30 compare to the recommended Motorcraft synblend?

SN+ is only required on turbo+DI engines. Yours has port+DI injection, no turbo.
PYB 10w30 would be OK for that engine in warm FL. (A 10w30 north of Georgia in winter isn't so great.)
Not my first choice, since I'm a synthetic snob. Why not get an oil that deposits less junk on your pistons as you drive? Pennzoil Platinum GTL GroupIII+ is $2.25/quart (5-qt jug at walmart, pennz rebate).
Or I've heard Mobil1 has some rebates going on now, another decent syn. Even SuperTech full syn for $18 per 5qt jug would be better than a conventional oil. At least go dexos1; it's easy.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
At least go dexos1; it's easy.

dexos in a Ford engine? That is a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted by Treadstone

Worlds will collide.

Pennzoil 10w30 is a great oil and would work well in that 5.0 F150.

LOL.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Worlds will collide.

Pennzoil 10w30 is a great oil and would work well in that 5.0 F150.

Is PYB 10w30 a better oil than motorcraft blend 5w20, 5w30 for Florida climate

I was considering a walk on the wild side and use an AC Delco oil filter, air filter and cabin filter. (mind blown)

Lay off the crack, it's really hurting you
lol.gif

Whimsey

Y'all should lay off @Treadstone, he's right. Using any Dex product on a Ford vehicle is in direct violation of a number of state and federal statutes.

Come on people, let's get with the program. Our government puts these laws in place to protect us from ourselves!

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Y'all should lay off @Treadstone, he's right. Using any Dex product on a Ford vehicle is in direct violation of a number of state and federal statutes.

Come on people, let's get with the program. Our government puts these laws in place to protect us from ourselves!

Uh oh. Im going to jail guys
frown.gif
I put dexos Gen2 in my ecoboost. I hope they parole me in a few decades.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Lay off the crack, it's really hurting you
lol.gif
.Whimsey
Probably joking there, yet the average person does think dexos1 is a GM-only thing. They are partly right. You look at the tests it goes through (SN, GF-5, some ACEA thrown in, extra elastomer compats., etc.) and you realize its just GM getting impatient with GF-6 taking 20 years to gel. Thats all it is. Good for any non-German engine basically.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Myself and a coworker both have f150's with the gen3 5.0. During lunch one day we were discussing oil changes and he mentioned he uses PYB 10w30. This engine is port and DI and I believe requires SN plus. My question is would this oil contain a suitable add pack for this engine and how does PYB 10w30 compare to the recommended Motorcraft synblend?

PYB is just as good as Motorcraft and there is no reason in normal use not use 5W20 in your situation.

Tell your friend to take advantage of rebates and he can use Pennzoil Platinum instead of PYB for less money. 10W-30 is a great FL oil IMO.

I love that folks want to put an economy oil into an expensive truck like that. Really? Spend the money and don't be so cheap.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I love that folks want to put an economy oil into an expensive truck like that. Really? Spend the money and don't be so cheap.

He said PYB. He's not at the flea market buying a paint bucket full of oil someone wrote "MOTOR OLL" on with a sharpie.

Originally Posted by hatt

He said PYB. He's not at the flea market buying a paint bucket full of oil someone wrote "MOTOR OLL" on with a sharpie.

+1, exactly and I'm running PYB 5w30 right now. Plus it's a syn-blend and I really switched over from running VWB the last four intervals to switch things up a bit. I'm about 1400 miles into this interval of PYB and all is well.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

My cousin and his wife own a 2017 NAVI, 3.5 EB. He uses PYB every 5K miles with a MC FL-500S oil filter.

Pfff thanks for showing after a decade and 25K posts you have learned Nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back