Hot engine, cold oil change, thermal shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter I was doing an oil change and when pouring the oil into the warm engine I could hear it creaking. I stopped and waited a few minutes before slowly pouring the rest of the oil in. Sometimes I will store oil in my garden shed and it gets down to 0 degrees F here in the winter. Gotta remember not to do this.

I keep my oil in the garden shed as well. However, when doing my OCIs in the winter time, I bring the oil in the house the night before just so the oil pours into the engine more easily. But, the hot engine doesn't car if cold oil is being poured in as the engine goes from freezing cold to boiling hot anyway.

I store all my oil in the basement at 55-70 deg all year round just so I get a better "warm" start right after the oil is replaced.

The fresh oil being poured in makes a pretty quick path into the oil pan. And usually not coming into contact with the highest operating temp engine parts. In 99% of circumstances, probably not a concern. If it were, the manufacturer would probably make note of this in the oil change procedure of the owner/maintenance manuals.

This little discussion included some inputs from Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow and Metallurgy.

Discussion on adding cold oil to a hot engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
...when doing my OCIs in the winter time, I bring the oil in the house the night before just so the oil pours into the engine more easily.

^^^^^
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back