Block Heater Will Start Any Engine/Oil Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Not sure what else to say!

Reminds me of my grandpa telling about his 193? Plymouth, back in the 40s when he lived in Red Wing, MN. He said on really cold mornings, he'd put some coal on a scoop shovel, light it, and slide it under the oil pan to warm the oil.

Propane torch and stove pipe elbow.
laugh.gif

I've heard of making a little rat's nest of newspaper shreds inside the air cleaner, lighting that off, and letting the engine suck that in.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
This is how an idiot starts an engine.

I fixed it for you. LOL

Originally Posted by demarpaint
This is how an idiot starts an engine.

I fixed it for you. LOL

thumbsup2.gif

This is how an idiot starts an engine. by the time that heat did anything the wiring would be all burnt up

He drove off.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Starting a bulldozer with the same method and also needs a welding machine to supply some additional juice to the batteries.

I've done the welder trick. Not for the faint of heart. I have used propane heater under a tarp as well as torches. Can't think of a normal situation where I would use a campfire type open flame.

I've been known do to that in my pre-Webasto days, as well as the shovel full of burning coals. Sugar maple lump charcoal, no less.

A couple winters back, I used a mini propane tank & heat attachment to change a head gasket on a buddy's Cummins pickup with a tarp draped over the hood.

It was -22c or so, and we didn't have access to electricity; but it was an outdoors emergency.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Propane torch and stove pipe elbow.
laugh.gif

My old peterbilt had a glow plug in the intake manifold. It also had a hand operated fuel pump. You pumped fuel into the intake,lit it on fire with the glow plug,pulled the compression release and cranked it. Once cranking you let go of the compression release and it would maybe start. Fortunately I live in the desert and didn't have to deal with any of that.

Similar to this.
https://youtu.be/NeDvCVS38hk

Last edited:
ofelas, I know a few people stuck doing farm repairs in the dead of winter in this cold and hostile wasteland using tarps and propane torches. Thank god I have not been stuck doing that yet.

About 40 some odd years ago when we used to get lots of snow built a fire under a Ford 8N to start it to pull sleds. These have a updraft carb so hard to start.

Worked fine.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back