BEST OIL FILTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by burla
First, it would have to be a spun microglass filter, anyone who thinks micron ratings hold up with paper filters I have some great swamp land to sell you that will make you a million dollars, and you will be the one to buy it, and give me a cash tip for doing so. Then you want to look at Flow, entry holes and cheese grater design really allows for good flow. Then, you might want a thick loose media that will flow great and hold contamination. The only one I know that does all of that is Royal Purple.

You might want to do a bit more research before claiming the "only one" capable of all that is the RP.

Originally Posted by burla
So if you consider all of that, pick a spun microglass that suits you better if you are looking for other features over what RP has to offer. Wix XP tighter thinner media maybe give a better micron rating at first ...

How can any filter rated at 50% @ 20u give a "better micron rating at first" ... ??

I mostly use AC Delco, Purolator, Motorcraft and Napa filters, depending on the vehicle it's used on. I'd say realistically that no one makes a bad oil filter and that any one of them will do the job it's intended for, including Fram.

The local Napa store closed and moved everything over to a new location across the mountain and 20 miles from here so most likely I won't be using their filters near as much these days. I've never used Fram oil filters so cannot speak for them but all the oil filters I've used I have not had one bad experience due to the oil filter.

Does anyone know how the fram ultra filter would compare to a filter like a mann fleece filter? More academic than anything, applications dont seem to overlap.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by Baseball17
I run only full synthetic Valvoline through my 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL. Are there any better oil filters then my original Hyundai oil filter for my vehicle? I use Bosch on my 2016 Charger over Mopar.

I guess this thread will be moved to oil filters soon
smile.gif

I've ran M1-104A and Fram FPS9688 (same as Ultra XG9688 but cheaper) with good results, no problem found whatsoever.
The question is if you want to play safe during warranty period and use only OEM filters - up to you.
Member ZeeOSix has a nice chart on how a 99% at 20 microns filter keeps your oil better than a 40 micron filter - I can't argue with proven data, better filter keeps your oil way cleaner

Compare to the oft maligned Microgreen @ 17/16//14 and 18/17/15

UD

I only will add the members home made graph with the yellow line was from one data point from another members particle count test. When he announced this fact recently I thought, gee that should be explained before it becomes more than it is. Same with the Ultras 80% at 5 claim, no data shown. The oil filter section is no more than a Fram Ultra Rally most of the time.

Originally Posted by Merek
I mostly use AC Delco, Purolator, Motorcraft and Napa filters, depending on the vehicle it's used on. I'd say realistically that no one makes a bad oil filter and that any one of them will do the job it's intended for, including Fram.

The local Napa store closed and moved everything over to a new location across the mountain and 20 miles from here so most likely I won't be using their filters near as much these days. I've never used Fram oil filters so cannot speak for them but all the oil filters I've used I have not had one bad experience due to the oil filter.

It sounds like you use the same filters then.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I only will add the members home made graph with the yellow line was from one data point from another members particle count test. When he announced this fact recently I thought, gee that should be explained before it becomes more than it is. Same with the Ultras 80% at 5 claim, no data shown. The oil filter section is no more than a Fram Ultra Rally most of the time.

Real data comparing two different filter efficiencies ... people can take it or leave it, or they can do their own research to prove otherwise.

As far as the 80% @ 5u claim, I highly doubt Motorking would jeopardize his job when making those claims - same as if Fram made the claim themselves since he was a rep of the company. If you don't believe it then go prove it's not true by contacting Fram and asking for data.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It sounds like you use the same filters then.

I do for the most part, AC Delco or Purolator on my GMC w/ 5.3, Honda or Purolator's on the Civic's, and Motorcraft or Napa on my Dad's Ford trucks, I have used Mobil 1 filters in the past a long time ago used to buy them at K-Mart but now Walmart has them in their stores, for a higher end filter I wouldn't hesitate or Purolator Boss which I have some of those but haven't tried them out yet. The Napa that used to be here never kept their branded filters in stock for my Civic's and online I can get the Honda filters in a 12 pk with the crush washers so that's mostly what I use on them. So I honestly believe by using a good name filter that you really can't go wrong.

I've been changing my own oil and for others at least 23 years now, I'm not an expert by any means but I have changed a lot of oil from cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, farm equipment, etc....

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by Baseball17
I run only full synthetic Valvoline through my 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL. Are there any better oil filters then my original Hyundai oil filter for my vehicle? I use Bosch on my 2016 Charger over Mopar.

I guess this thread will be moved to oil filters soon
smile.gif

I've ran M1-104A and Fram FPS9688 (same as Ultra XG9688 but cheaper) with good results, no problem found whatsoever.
The question is if you want to play safe during warranty period and use only OEM filters - up to you.
Member ZeeOSix has a nice chart on how a 99% at 20 microns filter keeps your oil better than a 40 micron filter - I can't argue with proven data, better filter keeps your oil way cleaner

Fram Ultra
My Blackstone data used for the graph.
From a Toyota Venza V6 with 10k mi on the oil filter with a drain and fill at 5K mi.

[Linked Image]

Just so everyone's aware ...
There are cellulose based glass-enhanced FF filters that are VERY impressive in their performance.
Wix 57151
2/20/75=3/12/17
50% at 3u with a glass-enhanced cellulose filter. 95% at 12um. Absolute at 17um.
The presumption being it would be able to last the IOLM guided OFCI (typically can be at/close to 10k miles).

Talking about filters general characteristics (syn media vs cellulose, where the BP element is located, how much it "flows") it typical BITOG rhetoric.
I have yet to see a major filter brand that directly has led to the demise of an engine simply based on it's "cellulose" or some other topic.

Filters are spec'd to satisfy some (typically unpublished) criteria set by the OEM. Since precious few if any of us actually know what those criteria are, then it's just a fools errand to have these discussions. At least with lubes, the makers typically have a "spec" and those "specs" are known to the lube makers; most will seek a license approval. But that's not the case with filters; the only one I know is Ford's general filter statement in their owner's manuals (a very generic filter statement referencing a non-impressive standard). So the aftermarket sets what they deem appropriate for the application, with the understanding that their warranty will cover what the OEMs would not.

Most of the syn-media filters are very impressive; I exclude the Wix XP simply because of their lowly claimed efficiency.

Just like lubes, there's no "proof" with real tangible data as to which filter is "best". There are many good ones, and even some better than those.
But I have yet to see any data to lead us to a conclusive decision that one filter is "best".
In fact, the data I have tells me that filtration efficiency past an unknown standard is simply excess that does not matter.

To each his own.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Are the Amsoil Ea oil filters out of vogue now??

I was a user and switched to Fram Ultra because it's 1/2 the price and seems to have the same/better efficiency rating. Also Jay formerly with Fram who is on here confirmed for me that it flows twice what the OE requires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

I was a user and switched to Fram Ultra because it's 1/2 the price and seems to have the same/better efficiency rating. Also Jay formerly with Fram who is on here confirmed for me that it flows twice what the OE requires.

I went and searched for the Fram Ultra Guard filters for my applications and wasn't satisfied with the Ultra design for a few of them like the GM LNF cartridge filter. They aren't available for the Ford 2.7 EcoBoost either. The Fram Ultra for the LNF doesn't have enough holes on the inner basket for proper oil flow. The Ea looks to be the same as the OEM Delco Hengst design.

Where are you finding them at 1/2 the price of the Ea?

Hi guys! I'm new here and started doing lots of readings on here.

I'm wondering what most people's thought on M1 filters? It seems like it doesn't get talked about a lot. Are they not very good?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by fortesquieu

I'm wondering what most people's thought on M1 filters? It seems like it doesn't get talked about a lot. Are they not very good?

Thanks!

Right off the bat on the first page of threads in this topic I see two that mention M1 oil filters. You must not have looked very hard.

Doing a search with even the admittedly sketchy search function reveals many more. How about you start there?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by fortesquieu

Thanks!

Right off the bat on the first page of threads in this topic I see two that mention M1 oil filters. You must not have looked very hard.

Doing a search with even the admittedly sketchy search function reveals many more. How about you start there?

I saw those two, other threads in general, there isn't much.

Originally Posted by StevieC

I went and searched for the Fram Ultra Guard filters for my applications and wasn't satisfied with the Ultra design for a few of them like the GM LNF cartridge filter. They aren't available for the Ford 2.7 EcoBoost either. The Fram Ultra for the LNF doesn't have enough holes on the inner basket for proper oil flow. The Ea looks to be the same as the OEM Delco Hengst design.

Where are you finding them at 1/2 the price of the Ea?

I'm in Canada so things are naturally higher here which is most likely why the Fram Ultra are 1/2 price compared to the Amsoil filters. I'm also on a cartridge filter (PentaStar).

How can any filter rated at 50% @ 20u give a "better micron rating at first" ... ??
[/quote]
I'm really starting to think you Just made that 50% efficiency up about wix XP. It seems like you did the same with the boss. Infact it seems like you are hostile toward all competitors of the, really not all that impressive Ultra?? What's in it for you? On the payroll? Or just absurdly attached to certain inanimate objects? Just compulsively brand loyal?

Originally Posted by Pinoak

I'm really starting to think you Just made that 50% efficiency up about wix XP. It seems like you did the same with the boss. Infact it seems like you are hostile toward all competitors of the, really not all that impressive Ultra?? What's in it for you? On the payroll? Or just absurdly attached to certain inanimate objects? Just compulsively brand loyal?

Just stating the facts when people want efficiency numbers. If you did the research and read what's been discussed here for the last 10 years you might be up to speed.

In fact, when the WIX XP first came out, WIX actually showed the beta ratio on their website as 50% @ 20 microns. There was talk in many threads about it. I'm sure other long time members here recall seeing those beta numbers on the WIX website (dnewton might have), which are no longer listed, and WIX won't even say what the efficiency is on the XP if you call them. Give them a call yourself if you don't believe that.

Sorry, but it's not very efficient, but some people don't care if it is or not, and I don't care either because I don't use them. If they were as efficient as the regular WIX filters, which I have used many times, then I'd probably use the XP ... or use the Boss if it's efficiency was up there too.

And if you've read long enough here you'd know I've used 5 or 6 different brands, but they all have to be 95% @ 20 microns or better. The Ultra fits that requirement so I use it too, shouldn't be a surprise. Yeah, I like high efficiency oil filters, so what? Also, if you'd been here a long time you'd know I was a big Purolator PureOne fan like many here because of the high efficiency, but obviously that all went down the tubes due to media tearing issues. Don't jump to conclusions until you know the whole background on what's happened over the last 10 years.

I most certainly do recall when Wix did post their XP data, and it was not at all impressive. I even called them at the time to try and understand their info and position, and of course got the typical Wix canned manure answers. Made my mind up at the time I'll never use an XP or similar filter.

if the Boss and XPs exist with what I consider to be undesirable efficiency, that leads me to a few conclusions.
- it does somewhat reinforce my belief that high-eff filters are not a necessity for longevity, but that's anecdotal, admittedly
- I would still rather use a "normal" filter like the TG or Wix/NG, and pay less money to get better capture ratios, because filter life cycle has not been of great concern to me; I'm not trying to make my FF filter last 20k+ miles
All the data I've compiled shows that "normal" products do just fine even out to 15k miles. That's far enough for me to get a very good ROI and still have excellent wear control using "normal" products. When my wear rates are still going down using dino oil and a TG, why would I want to use syns and an FU or P1 or such? I've seen no evidence that spending more reduces the wear rates past where I can already exist with less expensive products.

The XP and Boss seem to be answers to a marketing question, not a necessity of engine longevity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back