So is the answer always OEM or Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Phishin
If you're a mindless zombie parrot like 93% of members here....then yeah, OEM or Fram Ultra.

And if you propose anything else, you're an idiot...according to the masses here. This place can really suck sometimes.....the trends here are strong but change every few years.

If I can get a synthetic media filter for $7, which is less than half the price of other synthetic media filters that are LESS efficient, I'm going to buy the BETTER filter that also happens to be less money. There's nothing mindless about that decision, in fact it's quite mindful, as it's a rational decision based on facts and present circumstances.

Air Filters = Napa Gold, always
Oil filters = whatever I get for $1 at RockAuto
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Everybody seems to be talking about oil filters, but this is posted in the air filter section?

I'm gonna admit I just noticed that now
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Everybody seems to be talking about oil filters, but this is posted in the air filter section?

lol.gif

AHH [censored] LOLOL

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

lol.gif

Me too
lol.gif

Good catch RDY4WAR..

Fram Ultra or OEM for vehicles that are running synthetic and Fram OCD for the beater that runs cheap oil.

My OEM is made by FRAM. So 8 bucks for OE or 9.xx for a FRAM Ultra that I use for 20k miles. I could careless what people use as they are buying the material not I. Let quality and uoa do the talking and the market will decide the rest.

Well speaking of the correct section
lol.gif

The Fram Ultra air filters are quite good. Lightly oiled and really well constructed. Got one in my car now. Very impressed with it's build quality.

Last edited:
I recently tore down a Subaru 2.5 engine with 250,000 miles on the clock that had bad bearings due to a faulty oil pump. This engine had previously never been opened up. The factory cross hatch honeing was still clearly visible with no ridge at top of cylinders. What that told me was that ALL air filters perform very good and are much better than they use to be years ago since most piston ring wear occurs due to air filter inefficiencies.

Napa Gold, Wix and Fram here. I don't think I've ever bought an OE air filter.

The OEM/Motorcraft filter for the Taurus/Explorer has a very restrictive metal mesh. Each of the mesh lattices is extremely thick. I found Wix to be have a finer mesh for that particular filter, but Mahle was more like the original factory filter (no mesh at all).

Originally Posted by jbutch
The fram ultra for my vehicle is XGA9997, however I can't seem to find it in Canada...

Not available here yet. Jay formerly from Fram told me it's coming though...

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by jbutch
The fram ultra for my vehicle is XGA9997, however I can't seem to find it in Canada...

Not available here yet. Jay formerly from Fram told me it's coming though...

Ok, good to know!

For air filters, yes, I often use ordinary Fram. I've also bought a lot of OEM air filters, especially Motorcraft back in the day, when the Canadian Tire products had hardly any pleats.
wink.gif
I also use Wix air filters quite regularly, and I'd have no concern using a Baldwin air filter either.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No the answer for me is 99+ percent at 20 Microns and on sale for under $7 with free shipping.
For an air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back