Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZZman
[Linked Image]

Another quality powder with good taste.

I dont see the pic
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Are you trying to use a protein powder because you can't physically eat enough normal food to hit your macros? Or, do you want to maybe use a flavored protein powder as sweet treat/dessert substitute along with your strategic diet goals?

Trying to lose some more weight is all. I dont need the high cholesterol as mine is ok as is. I walk a ton and drink tons of water. No ice tea or soda here and cut way back on coffee also

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Are you trying to use a protein powder because you can't physically eat enough normal food to hit your macros? Or, do you want to maybe use a flavored protein powder as sweet treat/dessert substitute along with your strategic diet goals?

Trying to lose some more weight is all. I dont need the high cholesterol as mine is ok as is. I walk a ton and drink tons of water. No ice tea or soda here and cut way back on coffee also
honestly if this's is the case and not taxing the body weight training 3 to 5 days a week or seriously demanding workouts I would skip the whole idea. Feed properly hydrate and keep walking think you be ok.

Then you don't need to spend money on protein powder or anything really. Just keeping eating less than you burn. Maybe google for "TDEE calculator online" and see what your number is.

The idea that protein powder burns fat runs opposite to the idea that eating less is how you lose weight.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Good afternoon folks. Been toying with the thought of using protein powder to add to smoothies since I'm still dropping weight.

I did a ton of research into this (albeit for muscle gain, not weight - but still) a few years ago. I went with the Body Fortress brand purchased at Walmart. It hit the right mix of quality/cost/strong reviews.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-For...dOAwL8vqZD5nEHJ1tSsu2D1clf8aAoeCEALw_wcB

I mix it into a spinach/berry/banana/soy milk smoothie and I have been VERY satisfied with the results, flavor, and the cost/quality mix.

I notice it has a heck of a amount of cholesterol. Is this ok or...

I use the costo performance whey isolate.

It has 15mg . less is always better.

https://www.costco.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Performance-Whey-Isolate-Protein%2c-4-pounds.product.100084897.html

If you're still losing weight and don't want to lose any more, especially muscle mass, then drop the intensity of your workouts and your mix of fat burning foods. Also critical in weight loss is your water intake, sleep/rest, and how you combine your foods. If you break that chain a bit your weight loss will stall. Make your whole better a bit less efficient at fat burning and you'll stop the weight loss. Losing weight is often helped by eating the most beneficial fats....as illogical as that sounds to many. Too many carbs lead to fat deposits, especially the high glycemic carbs. Optimum fats come from avocados, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds/meal, eggs, quality fish, etc. Whole milk fat is not one of the better fat foods. Easiest way to gain weight is to cut back on exercise and sleep, and combine lots of high value carbs with your low value fats.....ice cream is one choice for piling on the fat deposits. When I eat meats, I minimize the carbs I have with it....only low glycemic veggies for the most part, sometimes a sweet potato

More or less protein doesn't stop weight loss, that's more a function of the items above. And not all calories from food have the same weight burning, or weight deposition ability.

Not a fan of whey protein which just a concentrated milk product. So you get all the concentrated negatives of cow's milk....antibiotics, hormones, and often times from corn or grain fed sick animals, etc. I prefer the pea protein powders as I supplement my breakfast with them. If you're going to drink cow's milk ensure it's from a natural diet cow eating grasses.

Last edited:
skip the protein powders. they won't fill you up if you are trying to lose weight. eat more whole foods that have a high volume to calorie ratio like vegetables.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
If you're still losing weight and don't want to lose any more, especially muscle mass, then drop the intensity of your workouts and your mix of fat burning foods. Also critical in weight loss is your water intake, sleep/rest, and how you combine your foods. If you break that chain a bit your weight loss will stall. Make your whole better a bit less efficient at fat burning and you'll stop the weight loss. Losing weight is often helped by eating the most beneficial fats....as illogical as that sounds to many. Too many carbs lead to fat deposits, especially the high glycemic carbs. Optimum fats come from avocados, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds/meal, eggs, quality fish, etc. Whole milk fat is not one of the better fat foods. Easiest way to gain weight is to cut back on exercise and sleep, and combine lots of high value carbs with your low value fats.....ice cream is one choice for piling on the fat deposits. When I eat meats, I minimize the carbs I have with it....only low glycemic veggies for the most part, sometimes a sweet potato

More or less protein doesn't stop weight loss, that's more a function of the items above. And not all calories from food have the same weight burning, or weight deposition ability.

Not a fan of whey protein which just a concentrated milk product. So you get all the concentrated negatives of cow's milk....antibiotics, hormones, and often times from corn or grain fed sick animals, etc. I prefer the pea protein powders as I supplement my breakfast with them. If you're going to drink cow's milk ensure it's from a natural diet cow eating grasses.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep eating what I am currently as its working good. I want to lose another 40lbs also

Thanks again and I won't bother with the protein powder after all

I have got it down to where I can eat one meal a day about 3 o'clock, as long as I stay away from the ice cream and frosting I eat all the carbs I want, And at night if I feel I didn't have enough protein during the day I might have a Muscle Milk, with about (?) 3 grams of sugar so it's not too bad. Good luck.

The other thing about being hungry and drinking water, well I figured it out as hunger is more of a sensation, and if I just have a sip of some water or preferably coffee in the early day, that'll change the sensation of being hungry and if I just got myself occupied doing something busy then I'm good till I get to my meal.

We use GNC Whey Protein at our house. Mostly my 14 year old boy drinks it after hard workouts.

He also consumes a lot of GNC's Mass Builder 1340 (it's a high calorie, high protein shake with nearly every vitamin and mineral you think of in it.

It may have a funny name but I like it, BlueBonnet Whey Protein Isolate. 26-grams per serving, 3 grams carbs with 1.5 as sugar (none added) and 0.5 grams fiber, I mix it with almond milk. The chocolate is really good and it is not chalky at all.

It might surprise some to know that a lot of these brands of protein powders come from a handful of manufacturers. Not everyone makes their own stuff and in the supplement business there is a lot of rebranding.

Look on the bottles for a statement that says manufactured for XXX company. Finding out who really made it is hard unless you have inside contacts.

IMO, if you want to add powdered protein to some real food then get some plain unflavored whey concentrate.

All the fancy protein powders are loaded with disgusting artificial flavors and sweeteners.

If you stick to the basic whey concentrate you get high quality protein with the potential benefits of whey, without adding the junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back