Looks like I'm moving back to shelf oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Amsoil just put up their minimum order for free shipping to $130 CDN and while I can go pick it up at the depot in the Greater Toronto Area (Mississauga - Tomken & Derry area for the locals) with no minimum, it's not really convenient because it's not on any travel routes I take so I'm going to go back to a shelf oil instead.

I was part of the M1 camp before and I have confidence in their products due to past experiences before Amsoil.
(Yes I know not all of their oils except 1 line officially MS-6395 but I don't care it's a B.S. spec from FCA that any quality SN/GF-5 oil can meet).

Sucks because I really like Signature Series but $130 per order is too much and makes it too difficult to expense at work because of invoice dates and amounts.

I will still use their other fluids though because I can usually do a $130 order no problem once an a while.

They really need to rethink the $130 free shipping especially when they are promoting yearly 25,000 mile (40K KM) OCI's with signature series and a typical oil change isn't going to hit $130.
21.gif

What OCI did you run using the Amsoil?

LOL If you've "poured" over UOA's for hours and dislike SOPUS products but like M1, you really must be delusional or interpreting something wrong! Sopus products especially PUP can outperform M1 on any given day!

Mine wasn't impressive because it's a new engine and I was keeping it conservative until the break-in was done and I had the first UOA back. In family vehicles where I have it running as well it's 1 year and 16K-20K KM (10K-12.5K miles) no issues. My inlaws Caravan was also on yearly but they were doing a ton of short tripping so their oil was showing a lot of fuel dilution at 10K KM 6K miles so we are going to switch them to something less expensive and change it more frequently.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
LOL If you've "poured" over UOA's for hours and dislike SOPUS products but like M1, you really must be delusional or interpreting something wrong! Sopus products especially PUP can outperform M1 on any given day!

LOL! "Outperform" on what metric?

SOPUS products are perfectly acceptable, but you'd be hard pressed to prove they "outperformed" M1 (and conversely as well).

I dislike subversive marketing, and I take issue with SOPUS for that, but it doesn't mean their products are garbage.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by diyjake
Just curious what don't you like about Pennzoil?

I'll PM you because I don't want to start a war here with the SOPUS boys.

I hope you are not basing that opinion on some tea leaf reader with a non disclosure agreement giving you a mental stroking to convince you SOPUS products are in some way inferior.

Nope just what I see in the UOA's I pour over for hours and over the years. That's as much as I'll talk about here. Again it's my opinion, people are welcome to form their own and run what they want... For me that will not be Pennzoil.

They both perform well, but I gave the two thumbs up to Pennzoil, it looked a little better to me. But everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Last edited:
Steve
Aren't Petro Canada oils on the thin-side?They are great for frigid start-ups. But I don't think P.C. will be a fuel dilution fighter for you. Do you have access to Castrol Edge black or the new formula Valvoline Advanced?.

Aside from PC Duron, there's Co-Op as well.

In StevieC's case, I'd suggest Pennzoilz Platinumz Ultraz on sale at CT for around $30 CAD per 5 liter jug.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Steve
Aren't Petro Canada oils on the thin-side?They are great for frigid start-ups. But I don't think P.C. will be a fuel dilution fighter for you. Do you have access to Castrol Edge black or the new formula Valvoline Advanced?.

I haven't looked at the PDS for PC oils recently so you might be right... Still considering all the options, availability and price. CTC's/PartSource and Walmarts here suck for having what you need when you want it. Especially if a sale is going on.

I have access to Castrol Edge black although I'm not sure on what the sales look like for that and how often. That will really dictate most of the decision on what I go with. I seem to see M1 and Pennzoil as being the oils that are usually always on sale somewhere. I'm also leaning toward M1 because of past experiences with it and other reasons mentioned above but I will consider Castrol and Valvoline. I've used Valvoline before and had good results but this was before they came out with all their newer stuff.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by diyjake
Just curious what don't you like about Pennzoil?

I'll PM you because I don't want to start a war here with the SOPUS boys.

I hope you are not basing that opinion on some tea leaf reader with a non disclosure agreement giving you a mental stroking to convince you SOPUS products are in some way inferior.

Nope just what I see in the UOA's I pour over for hours and over the years. That's as much as I'll talk about here. Again it's my opinion, people are welcome to form their own and run what they want... For me that will not be Pennzoil.

That's fine but are you under some sort of disclosure agreement not to talk about it and its by PM only. Must be something as you already said you came up with this from looking over UOA's, so there is more to it than that.

I thought M-1 was a no-no with you. Since it isn't, then drink-you-some EP soon. Yum..... good stuff. It's going in my new Hyundai this weekend.

But then-again, I said the same thing about Platinum last month - Edge Black two weeks ago and Valvoline Advanced last week......lol

Maybe I'll write all their names on a piece of paper - toss them into a hat and pick one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I thought M-1 was a no-no with you. Since it isn't, then drink-you-some EP soon. Yum..... good stuff. It's going in my new Hyundai this weekend.

But then-again, I said the same thing about Platinum last month - Edge Black two weeks ago and Valvoline Advanced last week......lol

Maybe I'll write all their names on a piece of paper - toss them into a hat and pick one.

I was in the M1 camp when I first joined BITOG over a decade ago and then switched to Amsoil when I learned about them here. Had really great experiences with their products and never looked back until this shipping nonsense and the fact that shelf oils today are so good I just can't justify the shipping restrictions versus the performance difference for the engine oils.

Last edited:

I have access to Castrol Edge black although I'm not sure on what the sales look like for that and how often.

CT puts Edge on sale quite often, and usually for a bit less than M1 and Pennzoil (it was on sale last weekend for $27.99 for 5L) I would say you never have to wait more than a month before it comes back on sale (same with all their oils actually, one of the. brands is on sale every week)

The specs for Castrol Edge Black A3/B4 0w30 look impressive. I was just looking through all the PDS sheets.

The specs for Castrol Edge Black A3/B4 0w30 look impressive. I was just looking through all the PDS sheets.

8 bucks a quart at USA Walmart dont you have a brother you see in the states ?

The biggest problem with that product is the 1 L container size, and you know how expensive they are. Since so many products now have actual jugs, I haven't seen CT or Partsource roll back the 1 L bottles as often. With respect to Petro-Canada, I shouldn't worry much about viscosity. An ILSAC oil is an ILSAC oil, pretty much.

Oh, and my god daughter needs to change the oil in her Benz fairly soon. So, I sent her to Partsource and she got Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 on their sale, so there you go!
wink.gif

sounds like a good oil and expensive ... Amazon says "no crude oil is used in making it" lol
crazy2.gif

I recently had a thread about it.

Thanks Pat.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem! And I know I've bugged you about this before but if you're going to buy oil from Canadian Tire you must sign up for their free Triangle points card. Today I bought a 5L jug of of Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 as it was on sale for $32.99 but on top of that I had a Triangle bonus offer of 25x the points on oil, so that gave me another $3.43 in Canadian Tire money! (and on top of that I can get the $10 rebate from Pennzoil) Sometimes the Triangle bonus is 50x the points on oil, and I've had a couple of times where they gave $20 or $25 in CT money when you spend $100 or more. So if you're buying a lot of oil from them you can easily rack up a lot of CT money! (and you can redeem it at any time on any purchase)

StevieC
A couple other thoughts
Do you have an Amsoil Dealer nearby that may have the oil you need in stock you could purchase without shipping?
Als, here in the states, some of the locally owned parts stores carry Amsoil on the shelf. My local NAPA stocks some.
Just trying to give you some ideas, hate to see you stop using the brand over a shipping issue.
In the US, we have to place a $100 order to get free shipping, which would be pretty close to $130 Canadian.
I as a dealer have to do a $300+ order to get free shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back