Looks like I'm moving back to shelf oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by diyjake
Just curious what don't you like about Pennzoil?

I'll PM you because I don't want to start a war here with the SOPUS boys.

I'd like a PM too if not too much trouble. Thanx, Tim

Me too Stevie my brother! Pm me as well,enquiring minds want to know!

When have you ever let that stop you before?
wink.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, I'd echo the sentiment about going to a distributor. You're out and about often enough and widely enough that you can get whatever oil you want from whatever distributor you pick, and be able to get a decent price without having to chase sales. Imperial Oil and Petro-Canada list their lubricant distributors on their sites. For sake of completeness, Blue Wave Energy is the best bet for any SOPUS products. Chevron I believe is distributed differently in Ontario than here (under Husky/Mohawk here). I'm not sure whether or not Wakefield does walk-ins for Castrol products; they do beat down the doors of the retail people.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
5 Quarts @ £79.82 = $104 US Dollars.
How is that worse than $9.45 USD / quart which is $47.25 (5 Quarts)?
21.gif

And I would argue the price is fine if you are running it out to high miles. (UOA to confirm)

It's 2x more in the UK to go with Amsoil over Mobil 1.

In the US, it's 3.5x more to go to Amsoil over Mobil 1.

So it's worse for Amsoil in the US, doesn't make sense.

Also even with higher drain intervals, according to the manufacturer, you still need to change it at their mileage interval to maintain warranty coverage if there is any. I'm not sure I'd want to go 25k on one OCI, when you change the oil more frequently, it's another opportunity to spot things you might not see. Last time I changed the oil, I spotted a rip in the CV boot so was able to get it fixed before it got worse.

Great post Wolf.... One aspect missed by long long run intervals is that... Checking other components that may well be a serious issue.

Smart move in my book. IMO you're engine will live just as long a life on store bought oil, and your wallet will thank you.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Env1ous
My customer pricing for Amsoil is 9.65 a qt or 37.90 a gallon
Without promotions Mobil1 is 9.99 a qt or 39.99 a qt.

If I order two oil changes I get free shipping with amsoil so it is cheaper to go with amsoil if there are no promotions

As usual with this topic things get a bit disingenuous. You are quoting your "sale" price for Amsoil (and not factoring in your PC cost), and you're referencing a rather high per-quart price for the comparison.

At Walmart I can buy M1 EP in the 5-quart container for $28.68 (not on rollback nor with a rebate), so that comes out to $5.74 a quart. The regular M1 is less. If I buy two containers I can get them delivered to my house for free as well, and I didn't have to pay anything upfront - nor do I have to buy $100 worth at a time.

That's how I base comparisons too, apples to apples. Sales, rebates, and rollbacks make it even better.

Originally Posted by Garak

When have you ever let that stop you before?
wink.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, I'd echo the sentiment about going to a distributor. You're out and about often enough and widely enough that you can get whatever oil you want from whatever distributor you pick, and be able to get a decent price without having to chase sales. Imperial Oil and Petro-Canada list their lubricant distributors on their sites. For sake of completeness, Blue Wave Energy is the best bet for any SOPUS products. Chevron I believe is distributed differently in Ontario than here (under Husky/Mohawk here). I'm not sure whether or not Wakefield does walk-ins for Castrol products; they do beat down the doors of the retail people.

It's on the list to consider...
wink.gif

ONN: I sent Amsoil an e-mail about being unhappy about the change and how much this would ultimately cost them because I would switch to a shelf oil in my vehicle and most likely other vehicles in the family and I got a call from the dealer that my PC membership is under. Never heard from him before but I guess he's upset at the prospect of loosing the sales so now he cares.

I called him back and explained my position and that the decision was made unless they decide to lower the shipping minimum back to where it was. I also explained it's kind of foolish that they are pushing annual / 25K mile OCI's and then expect you to purchase enough oil for 2-3 oil changes (roughly) to meet the shipping minimum and a PC membership in order to get it at a decent price.

I explained that I also wasn't interested in driving 60km (38 miles) to pick-up locally at the depot. He tried everything to save the business but I wouldn't budge and dug in my heels. We will see where it goes but I doubt anywhere because I'm one customer. I will however drive to the local depot to get ATF's, Gear Oil and Fuel additive when I need it because these trips will be far less often and because IMO those are some of the best products they make. I've seen far too many positive experiences with those products not to continue using them regularly.

Walmart is currently having a sale on M1 AFE in various grades so I might get me a good reserve of this and then just replenish as I use it with sale prices and expense only what I replace.

Last edited:
ONN: I sent Amsoil an e-mail about being unhappy about the change and how much this would ultimately cost them because I would switch to a shelf oil in my vehicle and most likely other vehicles in the family and I got a call from the dealer that my PC membership is under. Never heard from him before but I guess he's upset at the prospect of loosing the sales so now he cares.

I called him back and explained my position and that the decision was made unless they decide to lower the shipping minimum back to where it was. I also explained it's kind of foolish that they are pushing annual / 25K mile OCI's and then expect you to purchase enough oil for 2-3 oil changes (roughly) to meet the shipping minimum and a PC membership in order to get it at a decent price.

I explained that I also wasn't interested in driving 60km (38 miles) to pick-up locally at the depot. He tried everything to save the business but I wouldn't budge and dug in my heels. We will see where it goes but I doubt anywhere because I'm one customer. I will however drive to the local depot to get ATF's, Gear Oil and Fuel additive when I need it because these trips will be far less often and because IMO those are some of the best products they make. I've seen far too many positive experiences with those products not to continue using them regularly.

Walmart is currently having a sale on M1 AFE in various grades so I might get me a good reserve of this and then just replenish as I use it with sale prices and expense only what I replace.

If you are already driving to the depot, why not just pick up oil for a couple changes at a time?
Or order your oil with the atf, gear oil etc to qualify for the free shipping?

Last edited:
Because I might change my ATF every couple of years with the miles I drive but will change my oil much more than that and it makes it hard to expense through work if the invoice is for a boatload of oil I have to expense slowly.
Just doesn't make sense when there M1 sales more frequently and the store is around the corner.

You dug in your heels? I love that, now and make a trip to WMT and load up. It's that simple.

Originally Posted by bfleeman
Seems like a problem easily solved by being a little more strategic when you purchase it.

Or even more easily solved by cutting the cord completely, and buying equivalent fine "shelf" products for the rest.

Seems like a problem easily solved by being a little more strategic when you purchase it.

Or even more easily solved by cutting the cord completely, and buying equivalent fine "shelf" products for the rest.

When shelf products do what Amsoil ATF, Severe Gear and Peformance Improver fuel additive do then I will.

When shelf products do what Amsoil ATF, Severe Gear and Peformance Improver fuel additive do then I will.

Well this is how I look at it. I've gotten 410,000 miles on my Sienna using predominately Mobil 1 ATF (but lately Maxlife ATF), 267,000 miles on the Accord using Maxlife, and 241,000 miles on the BMW using whatever Dex VI I can find on sale. If there's a problem with that I don't know what it is. Even at its advanced age the fluid on the Sienna is red in color and there's very little fuzz on the magnets.

As for the Severe Gear, I have been using Mobil 1 gear oil available at my farm supply for the BMW and even sometimes in the ECHO manual transmission since it is GL-5. No problems yet. What evidence is there that I would be better off with the Amsoil product?

Lastly the performance additive? Well, I've only used a fuel system additive once in the BMW when it had a rough idle but that turned out to be a pushed-back pin in a fuel injector connector. So I guess I'm a hard sell that you even need to use one.

kschachn,

The availability you have in the US is not the same here. Mobil ATF is scarce in my parts as well as other brands like Valvoline or even Castrol. You are also talking about Toyota/Honda/BMW which I would argue have great durable transmissions for the most part and certainly in your application. (And yes for the group, there is dog transmissions with every brand)

Not sure if you do any towing but I have a couple family members that do and we have seen other fluids turn black in short order using OEM and shelf oil ATF's whereas the Amsoil ATF does not. Same goes for the gear oils and magnetic fuzz using standard shelf gear oils over severe gear.

Then there is the case of unplugging my injector in my neon with Amsoil P.I. and clearing up rough idles in family members direct injected vehicles using P.I. when standard PEA additives off the shelf didn't work and using top-tier fuel wasn't enough.

So... I'm sticking to those products. Use what works and fits the budget.

Last edited:
Steve, while afe is fine oil, perhaps you might want to step up to EP? Just a thought since you're coming from amsoil.

I have a "commercial" Amsoil account, no charge, I have a legitimate business, that I signed up for at an auto show held yearly near me in NJ. I pay about 22.5% less than retail. For free shipping now I'd need to spend $350, not happening. Otherwise it's $12 no matter the weight. Since I've been able to buy Mobil 1 5W-30, for our 2.3 EB Explorer with rebates and roll backs for about $11/5 qt jug and $5/Mobil 1 oil filter I use that since I don't do extended OCI's with the DI Turbo engine. However the Explorer has the infamous PTU gear oil destroying unit. I'm using Amsoil SVG 75W-140 gear oil at 20,000 mile intervals. So recently I ordered several of the SVG 75W-140 and the SVG 75W-90 for the rear diff, which holds very little fluid plus some 20 weight synthetic compressor oil and other small oil products which are difficult to come by, for me it pays to do this. If I had to buy engine oil at the auto parts store without their oil/filter specials then Amsoil OE or XL oils could be competitive.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Steve, while afe is fine oil, perhaps you might want to step up to EP? Just a thought since you're coming from amsoil.

EP is expensive up here at $60CDN per jug (~$46 USD) and doesn't go on sale as often as AFE. I also need just over 1 jugs worth to fill the Caravan.
AFE has a good amount of PAO in it so I should be OK but yeah otherwise I'd do EP/AP.

Last edited:
Sounds like Canadians are being scrapped on oil. Here in Illinois an expensive state in the lower 48. We can pick up synthetic for as cheap as $3 a qt at rural king. Granted it's either store brand or lubrigold. Pretty sure they are both made by Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back