Rav4 2001 which ATF? Maxlife or T-IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum. It is biggest knowledge base about oils I have found so far!

I am going to change ATF in my 2001 RAV4 with 173000 km on it and I did some research and now I am even more confused when I was at the beginning.

My car calls for T-IV and I found that some oil makers state that Low Viscosity fluid is good replacement. The best example is Valvoline Maxlife but also Castrol Transmax Synthetic says it is "Suitable for use" in T-IV specs transmissions. Funny thing is that at the same time Toyota says that T-IV and WS (which is low viscosity) is not interchangeable. I have found some theads about it already but it does not explained the case clearly.

I went through a lot of specs and found out that Maxlife is low viscosity fluid, while T-IV is high viscosity fluid so how it can be suitable for use and be for T-IV and WS at the same time?

Is there anyone who changed ATF fluid from recomended T-IV to low viscosity like Maxlife?

I have also found information that using thick OEM fluid in old transmission can cause more problems than replacing it with thinner low viscosity one? Is it true?

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

I would and have run Amsoil ATF (not ATFL) over the others in that transmission, it shifts nice and firm without being harsh and last a long time.
The question about thick OEM fluid is false.

I would use either fluid with no real worry. My personal preference would be Maxlife since I like Valvoline products. My old Accord was spec'd for Z1 fluid originally and then updated to DW-1 fluid in 2011. I had run Z1, DW-1, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, and Redline D4 ATF. All the fluids did great.

IIRC T-IV is just rebranded Mobil JWS-3309 so we can dispense with the idea it is some magic toyota fluid. The PDS for JWS 3309 says viscosity is 7.1

I have used Maxlife in my friends 2002 Tundra (which actually is supposed to use Dexron III); Maxlife is recommended by many on this site for "out of warranty" d+f.

Thanks guys

I think I will stick to Maxlife then. Majority can not be wrong
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TomRav
Thanks guys

I think I will stick to Maxlife then. Majority can not be wrong
smile.gif

I'd wait until people who have substituted MaxLife in that series of Aisin transmissions to chime in and not be premature.

I would run one of the many T-IV products out there. I have had better performance with it in Aisin/Toyota A and U series transmission than with maxlife and other LV fluids. You can get Mobil 3309 about the same cost as MaxLife, so why not use it? Check summit racing, 6qts/$27 - very fair shipping. Right now on Amazon you can get the Idemitsu T-IV ("TLS") even cheaper via the seller "transmaxx" out of Spokane.

If getting them to/in Canada is problematic, I would at least check the local dealer for T-IV before substituting a less ideal fluid.

I don't know how, but Maxlife seems to be able to work well in so many different transmissions.

I have used it in vehices that spec Merc V (Ford), Dex III (Chevy), Dex VI (Saturn), SP III and IV (Hyundai, which is know to be very picky), and WS (Scion), never had an issue with it in any of those vehicles.

Not sure, but the RAV 4 may have the same U241E that my Scion has (may also have the U140F)

I've used Amsoil ATF in Toyota Transmissions both in T-IV and WS applications and had excellent experience with it among the other non-Toyota applications I have used it in. That would be my choice.

The board seems to like Maxlife as well in Toyota applications from what I read here but I've not used it in a Toyota application.

Good luck.

I have used Maxlife in dex VI applications but in Toyota and Subaru automatics shifts seem mushy and its hard to see on the stick unlike Amsoil that is cherry red and highly visible.
This transmission does not call for a low viscosity fluid. Sure Maxlife is better than old, thin, worn out fluid but IMO far from optimal.

So this is what happened...

I bought Valvoline Maxlife because it was easy to get and changed it. I did not change filter, just drained the old fluid. I did about 200km and I was not impressed.. Shifting was much harder especially from 1st to 2nd gear. I could live with it but the kick down was terrible. It was almost breaking my neck..

I could not get any T-IV neraby so I went to toyota dealer and bought their T-IV. I know it is not magic fluid, it is Mobil 3309 and any ATF T-IV specs is exactly the same but it was relatively close and surprisingly cheap.

I drained it again and now I can hardly feel the car is shifting! It goes smooth and nice. I should have bought it from the beginning.

Anyone hesitating to use low viscosity like Valvoline Maxlife ATF in their 2001-2006 rav4 I do not recomend it. It works way better with T-IV. Maybe it works in other cars, in mine it does not at all.

Maxlife is a quality ATF and strange you found it shift hard on an really old Toyo. Many have had great results w/ the fluid, you may be the one off.
T-IV are you sure, it must be taking a DexronIII or a T-III, in any event T-IV is backward compatible so good for you.

Maxlife is my choice for all my PS systems and works wonders

I have no doubt that Maxlife is great fluid. I am saying that in my Rav4 2001 which calls for T-IV it does not work as well as T-IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back