should i be afraid of the DCT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
still looking at cars for my daughter. looked at the hyundai kona but it seems too small. the tucson seems to be a better choice. one thing about the tucson is the standard DCT trans . i test drove it and the way it shifted and lack of engagement feel when moving the selector felt odd. Also , reading a lot that DCT are problematic in the long term, especially for stop and go traffic.

So those with a DCT trans. how do you like it and opinion on reliabilty of them

thanks

Originally Posted by WhyMe
still looking at cars for my daughter. looked at the hyundai kona but it seems too small. the tucson seems to be a better choice. one thing about the tucson is the standard DCT trans . i test drove it and the way it shifted and lack of engagement feel when moving the selector felt odd. Also , reading a lot that DCT are problematic in the long term, especially for stop and go traffic.

So those with a DCT trans. how do you like it and opinion on reliabilty of them

thanks

Depends who makes DCT. Does DCT in Hyundai's case mean: Dual Clutch Transmission? If it is how it is possible that it is lacking engagement? That is all point of true DCT.
Some companies have vast experience with them (BMW, VW/Audi) and some do not. Who made DCT for Hyundai? Getrag? ZF? (those two highly unlikely), Borg/Warner? JATCO? Aisin? or Hyundai themselves?
Personally, I would skip it in case of Hyundai.

Last edited:
I love my Tucson with the DCT. It shifts crisp and is a lot of fun to drive. In city stop and go there is not a problem if driven thoughtfully. However if all I did was a lot of city driving, a tranny with a torque converter may be a better choice.

VW = yes
Ford = no

Other brands = ?

VW made it work after teething pains, but Ford stopped offering DCTs because they could not fix their problems. On a sports car there is a reason for a DCT, but on normal cars where is the pay off for the risk? Slightly better fuel economy?

Hyundai DCT's have been fine. Minor software bugs when they first came out but nowhere near the nightmares the Ford Focuses or VW's had with them. I'd take one over some of the awful CVT's out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Hyundai DCT's have been fine. Minor software bugs when they first came out but nowhere near the nightmares the Ford Focuses or VW's had with them. I'd take one over some of the awful CVT's out there.

VW's had issue bcs. people did not fallow proper maintenance procedure. And even when mechatronics failed, it was not big deal and that wa snowehere near issues that Ford had. I had one, and never had single issue in some 120k of ownership. But, I did change fluid every 40k (worth it).
If DCT in Hyundai is not engaging, I wonder what is the point of that DCT and whether that was the way to eliminate potential problems.

Originally Posted by edyvw

VW's had issue bcs. people did not fallow proper maintenance procedure. And even when mechatronics failed, it was not big deal and that wa snowehere near issues that Ford had. I had one, and never had single issue in some 120k of ownership. But, I did change fluid every 40k (worth it).
If DCT in Hyundai is not engaging, I wonder what is the point of that DCT and whether that was the way to eliminate potential problems.

Really? https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/6-Speed-DSG-Automatic-Transmission-Faults

Originally Posted by edyvw

Really? https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/6-Speed-DSG-Automatic-Transmission-Faults

So? All transmissions have issues. I was reading few days ago about two failed transmissions on 2015 Highlander in a span of a year, and that transmission is apparently bulletproof.
Most common issue on both 6 and 7 speed (in US comes in Audi S4) was mechatronics (up until mid-2012). But as I told you, does not happen to everyone.

No but there are the more problematic transmissions out there and this dual clutch from VW was plagued with problems that wasn't a result of lack of owner maintenance.
Is it fixed now? sure, but don't make out like they didn't have a pile of failures just because you got by just fine.

As for the Highlander how is that relevant? I didn't mention them or even put Toyota on a pedestal for that matter.

VW has a long history of mucking things up before getting it right. I could fill this thread with all their blunders.

Last edited:
If DCTs were driven by people who understood what DCTs are, then they wouldn't have a bad rap.

But instead DCTs were sold to ignorant car drivers who assumed they were "just another automatic transmission".

I just bought a Volkswagen, and I had a chance to get a good deal on a Volkswagen with a DSG, I looked at the salesman said no way, he said why I said because I'm not nuts

Ford DCT: YES be afraid! My dad had a 2012 Ford Focus. The car was perfect except for the DCT. He unloaded it after one year.

Hyundai DCT: YES be afraid. A friend of mine is a Hyundai master tech. He had an AWD Tucson with the DCT. He unloaded it and does not recommend.

VW: ?

I wouldn't be too afraid of this DCT given the 10yr/100Kmi warranty, plus Hyundai/Kia seems decent to fix or extend coverage as needed.

No but there are the more problematic transmissions out there and this dual clutch from VW was plagued with problems that wasn't a result of lack of owner maintenance.
Is it fixed now? sure, but don't make out like they didn't have a pile of failures just because you got by just fine.

As for the Highlander how is that relevant? I didn't mention them or even put Toyota on a pedestal for that matter.

VW has a long history of mucking things up before getting it right. I could fill this thread with all their blunders.

Again, VW DSG does not have wide spread failure like Ford has. If it was plagued with problems everyone would have one of those problems, but that is NOT the case.
On top of that VW was one of the earliest adopters of dual-clutch, so some issues are going to be present.
When I mentioned Toyota, I am saying that even transmissions that are considered very reliable have issues, let alone extremely complex, performance orioneted transmissions.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
If DCTs were driven by people who understood what DCTs are, then they wouldn't have a bad rap.

But instead DCTs were sold to ignorant car drivers who assumed they were "just another automatic transmission".

That sums up this issue.
There is a reason why companies (all of them) are hesitant to bring such complex solutions to North American market where vehicles have a status of average microwave.

Last edited:
They bring out a transmission to fit a market that is used to driving conventional automatics and as a result they fail and you blame the consumer and not the OE that designed it?

Sounds like German thinking to go with the German engineering.

Here is a solution we will provide that doesn't fit what is needed and then blame the customer when it doesn't fit and function properly.
lol.gif

Last edited:
They bring out a transmission to fit a market that is used to driving conventional automatics and as a result they fail and you blame the consumer and not the OE that designed it?

Sounds like German thinking to go with the German engineering.

Here is a solution we will provide that doesn't fit what is needed and then blame the customer when it doesn't fit and function properly.
lol.gif

No one makes consumer to buy it. Consumer wants German engineering, then maintain car the way factory told you (and factory interval of fluid change on VW DSG is 50k, which 1 in 10 consumers does). If you want German car you are buying German culture too, where you need special tools etc. If you do not like there are plenty microwaves available to buy.
Those solutions function, very well. However, they are not dumb proof, nor they will be.
The question is, why Hyundai fallowed that trend? or Ford? Just because DCT is in M3, does not mean it should be in Tucson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back