Hyundai's double clutch trans

My recently acquired '23 Santa Fe 2.5T has a double clutch trans. Now don't ask me why an SUV needs a DCT because I don't know. But overall I like the vehicle and the 2.5 turbo. The trans isn't having any problems (at least not yet), but it doesn't act like a DCT should in my opinion. I don't expect it to be Porsche or Ferrari quick. It's not nearly as quick as the DCTs I've had from VW/Audi. When I put it in Sport mode and use the paddle shifters, the shifts are no faster than regular auto trans. Not that I need lightning fast shifts from my SUV, but I thought that it would act somewhat similar to my VW/Audi DCTs. Anyone know anything about this other than 'It's a Hyundai'?

Knowing the typical Hyundai customer, I suspect it’s programmed to behave as much like a conventional automatic as possible. Few will come back to the dealer with your complaint vs many who would if it shifted like a VW DCT.

My mom's '19 Tucson exhibits what I can only describe as erratic shifting under 3/4 or more throttle, and shift flare going into 3rd pretty much anywhere on the throttle. Thankfully it's under warranty, because I can't imagine how long it will last acting this way.

In at least one of the car magazines the DCT was reviewed at "not great". I'm waiting for both Hyundai and KIA to admit that this one (DCT) is a mistake....

Kind of like the DCT in the Ford Fiesta......

BTW- the possible issues of this transmission has been well publicized in the last 12 months or so.

BTW- the possible issues of this transmission has been well publicized in the last 12 months or so.

Before I bought I was keeping tabs on the DCT via the Hyundai forums. My understanding is that the problem was fixed around October of '22. My car was built in February of '23, so hoping I'm good. I do like the car and am enjoying the turbo.

Is the 2.5T just an enlarged version of the 2.3T or a turbocharged version of the NA 2.5 or something new? I was in one of the local Hyundai stealerships last week but the only new cars that they had in the showroom were the electric Ironics. No gas vehicles at all!

As far as the DCT, I learned a long time ago NOT to buy any brand new model vehicle or any vehicle with a new model engine or a new model transmission. Anything NEW in the automotive world seems to always have problems and I don't want to be the car companies' guinea pig

they probably made their dct feel like an automatic because the vw dsgs like to lurch from a stop and shift like a manual, which I prefer over a sludgebox exept for when maneuvering the car in tight spaces.

What a horrible design and decision. The non turbo gets the "regular" transmission but the turbo needs a DCT? A DCT is like the opposite of what a truck is used for.

What a horrible design and decision. The non turbo gets the "regular" transmission but the turbo needs a DCT? A DCT is like the opposite of what a truck is used for.
Meh, a DCT is only the wrong transmission when going really slow if it doesn't have a low enough 1st gear. Hyundai knows 99.99% of Santa Fe's aren't going to be off roading or even launching fishing boats, so what trans they put in hardly matters to anyone except them for fuel economy ratings...
Once the car is moving a DCT is great if its programmed well, and would tow quite well I think, the trans should be very efficient and not build up much heat.

Meh, a DCT is only the wrong transmission when going really slow if it doesn't have a low enough 1st gear. Hyundai knows 99.99% of Santa Fe's aren't going to be off roading or even launching fishing boats, so what trans they put in hardly matters to anyone except them for fuel economy ratings...
Once the car is moving a DCT is great if its programmed well, and would tow quite well I think, the trans should be very efficient and not build up much heat.
Low speed constant shifting is not ideal for a DCT which is what most trucks and cars actually need in my area anyway

Low speed constant shifting is not ideal for a DCT which is what most trucks and cars actually need in my area anyway
There should be practically zero slip though once the car is moving above the minimum speed in 1st? To me it seems better than a conventional automatic with bands and clutches that slip and grip on each shift? I think most of the semi trucks have automated manuals, either DCT or single clutch?

There should be practically zero slip though once the car is moving above the minimum speed in 1st? To me it seems better than a conventional automatic with bands and clutches that slip and grip on each shift? I think most of the semi trucks have automated manuals, either DCT or single clutch?
It was a complete disaster for Ford. Hyundai isn't known for being a big problem solver.

dct transmission are hard to get right for the simple reason that everyone drives slightly different. even Porsche had trouble with their early pdk transmissions.

It was a complete disaster for Ford. Hyundai isn't known for being a big problem solver.
I've heard that Ford used a "dry" DCT for the Focus here, which didn't work out well. Apparently they use a "wet" DCT in Europe which was a good, though more expensive, transmission.

I wonder if Hyundai's DCT is wet or dry.

I've heard that Ford used a "dry" DCT for the Focus here, which didn't work out well. Apparently they use a "wet" DCT in Europe which was a good, though more expensive, transmission.

I wonder if Hyundai's DCT is wet or dry.
It’s a wet DCT. I have it and LOVE it. Never had a DCT before and it’s best engine and tranny ive ever had. Smooth and fast. Loving my Santa Fe 2.5T AWD.

I hope you have better luck with your's than Car and Driver did with a 2022 Sorento

Seems teething issues aren't uncommon

During this same visit, the service team tinkered with the transmission, draining and replacing its fluid and installing a logic update in order to fix the increasingly perceptible low-speed clutch shudder and clunky shifts. This marked the second time our Sorento received a transmission logic update in less than 8000 miles, the previous of which occurred during the 16,000-mile scheduled maintenance.

Rather than alleviate the gearbox's issues, the latest service action worsened them. The Sorento lurched away from stops—and even stalled on more than one occasion—and roughly swapped cogs with all the head-bobbing grace of a newbie stick-shift driver. After putting less than 30 miles on the odometer, we turned around and brought the Sorento back to the service department.

In time, we learned our Sorento was to receive a replacement transmission under warranty, but it would be a refurbished unit. The Sorento was out of commission for 24 days. (Our original transmission was included in a batch that was recalled, but that happened after ours had already been replaced.)

Although the replacement gearbox did finally end the Sorento's transmission-related woes, it did not mark the conclusion of our powertrain problems.

I hope so too, of course. My vehicle now has 1600 miles on it, so it's quite new still. But, no issues at all like what you describe. I've had great results with Amsoil SS in my older Santa Fes, so I'm hoping a "superior" oil will help keep the DCT smooth and long-lasting.

Transmissions are evolving to achieve higher fuel economy. The DCT is one example. Automatics with no torque converters or very small ones are another.

Back