Ring alarm system, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been thinking of changing my alarm system (company) in my home. I really like my Ring door bell and see they sell full home alarm systems and wondered if they are worth anything. One concern I do have is my garage door. My current company used a different sensor on that then the rest of the doors. I do not see Ring offering a garage specific sensor or a glass break sensor.

Thanks.

It really depends on what kind of "criminal" you're trying to protect against. If it's your run of the mill strong arm punk type then yeah they're good. I purchased one last year to get a feel for how it works. They are wireless (z-wave) so they can be prone to jamming. They currently don't have a dedicated garage door sensor. Some people have removed the magnet from the housing and simply slapped it on the door itself with the sensor mounted on the wall like a normal door.

If the type of person (or persons) you're trying to protect against are knowledgeable I would focus on a wired system and harden the points of entry.

I don't mean to come down on them in any way. Like i said I have a ring system for an outbuilding and it works great. It just all depends on the nature of what you're trying to protect.

Last edited:
Thank you... We have a few "punks" around that I think it would work fine for, but we do have a some more sophisticated criminals in my town.. So I think I am going to keep looking.

I appreciate it.

You're welcome. I forgot to mention they do have a cellular backup and inside the base station there is a 24hr backup battery. Same with the range extender it is powered through an outage by internal battery. The base station is armored underneath the plastic housing so even if they disconnect it and try to damage it, it will still work for some time. If internet and cellular both go out it will act as a local alarm only. This is where I felt someone more sophisticated might be able to get around it. Although where I live the chances of this happening are slim. Not only do they have to have advance knowledge of what kind of system it is but they will need access to the proper jamming equipment which is not only illegal in most places (i know) but hard to come by. Most residential criminals are the type that will force their way through a door or window on impulse without thinking or pre-planning.

That's also why i don't recommend posting up signs or stickers around your house advertising not only that you have a security system but the brand as well. You've done 3/4 of the homework for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back