U Joints Fixed Themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a squeaky u joint (at least one) that I never got around to fixing. The squeak lasted 2 months and then stopped. It came back 2 weeks later but not as loud and has stopped again. What's going on?

Check the fuse for the radio, it seems to have a bad connection.
lol.gif

usually that means greasing with a mini-grease gun, but maybe colorados came with service free (zerk-less) U joints?
Autozone sells them from $14-$23/piece. Cheaper than having the shaft come loose, beat up the exhaust
system & maybe even pierce the truck bed.

Probably due to the cold weather affecting the grease. I've placed an oil pan underneath mine and poured diff fluid over them to quiet them down.

You likely drove over random patches of Amsoil.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I had a squeaky u joint (at least one) that I never got around to fixing. The squeak lasted 2 months and then stopped. It came back 2 weeks later but not as loud and has stopped again. What's going on?

I replaced my drive shaft u joints a couple of years ago. Truck would have a slight vibration on acceleration then smooth out. About $30 from NAPA for greasable u joints. It sounds like you know where the squeaking is coming from ...why would you not replace them?

Weather got warmer, grease softened, friction increased, grease softened more and reflowed. It's still continuing to wear, get it fixed now while you're not stranded from it.

When the sound stops then you know it has turned to powdered metal. Expect some thumping soon. Loose and slop joints will develop a vibration too.

My spicer maintenance free ones lasted about 80K miles. I had a strong vibration on highway speeds (licky I did not sling it). Got home and took out the drive shaft. one of the first two looked perfect. the 3rd one was wrecked. One of the bearings was dry and rusty red with dust. The nub was about 75% of his normal diameter.

Changed those out for greasable ones. I top them off every oil change.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Go underneath and examine u joints. You will see powdered rust on them when they are begining to go. They will start to cause a shake when they are really spent. Drive shaft will end up on the road when you waited too long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back