Did Fram increase the bypass valve pressure on the XG10575?

I was looking at the specs on the XG10575 on Fram's website: http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG10575/

I noticed the bypass valve setting pressure lists 16-28. I could have sworn that this filter had a 9-15 PSI setting the last time I looked. I have ran this filter before on my Sierra but not for a couple years now. Lately I have been using Mobil's M1-212A (mainly because of rebates). I know GM released a bulletin on engines that require a higher bypass pressure setting. Do you think Fram would increase this filter's bypass valve pressure because of this? This filter appears to fit a lot of Ford engines also (5.0 V8, 3.5 V6). I wonder what they require for bypass pressure?

I doubt they would increase the bypass pressure on that filter, because how would people know which version they were getting, the old or the new?

In the case of the filter for my Corvette, the XG10060 had a bypass setting that was too low for this application, so Fram came out with a higher 22psi bypass version and renamed it the XG12060. So if they were going to do the same with the XG10575 I am sure they would come out with a new part number.

Originally Posted by gonefishing
I was looking at the specs on the XG10575 on Fram's website: http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG10575/

I noticed the bypass valve setting pressure lists 16-28. I could have sworn that this filter had a 9-15 PSI setting the last time I looked. I have ran this filter before on my Sierra but not for a couple years now. Lately I have been using Mobil's M1-212A (mainly because of rebates). I know GM released a bulletin on engines that require a higher bypass pressure setting. Do you think Fram would increase this filter's bypass valve pressure because of this? This filter appears to fit a lot of Ford engines also (5.0 V8, 3.5 V6). I wonder what they require for bypass pressure?

I understand and share your concern. First I heard of it.

Originally Posted by gonefishing

Per Purolator who makes the FL-500S, the bypass setting is 17+ PSI.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307599

The Fram 10575 is used in applications that call for the FL-500S ... so maybe that's one reason why the bypass valve setting has been bumped up.

And yes ... it use to be set to 9-15 PSI. Here's a snap-shot done around Oct 2018. Looks like all models of the 10575 now have a 16-28 PSI bypass valve.

Fram XG10575.JPG

gonefishing, good find. Does seem odd. It was indeed a lower bypass pressure before.
For the readers: XG10060 is sized like an ACDelco PF64, yet has a low bypass valve pressure, something GM was warning about a couple of years ago in an official statement.
Recently, as Patman said, the XG12060 came out with a bypass pressure matching PF64, making us more comfortable with those GM applications that appear to need the higher pressure threshold.

The XG10575, in the past, was always a direct replacement for the popular Motorcraft FL500S and ACDelco PF63E, although it lacked the high bypass threshold the PF63E had.
(As a side note, some of us always avoided Motorcraft since they had similar tearing problems found in Purolators, so the other brands were important.)

Now it appears the XG10575 is going to match the bypass threshold of the PF63E, assuming the website can be believed. Yet why would they edit it if it's not changing? This may be a real change. Won't know if or when the change will make it onto the shelf of course.

If this is an actual change, then I don't think the Ford & other applications will have any problem with it. A higher pressure threshold just means the oil pump will tolerate more filter plugging or thicker oil when cold before popping open. GM's point has always been that having a higher threshold reduces the number of bypass events which could send grit into the engine.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
If this is an actual change, then I don't think the Ford & other applications will have any problem with it. A higher pressure threshold just means the oil pump will tolerate more filter plugging or thicker oil when cold before popping open. GM's point has always been that having a higher threshold reduces the number of bypass events which could send grit into the engine.

You mean the filter (not the oil pump) will tolerate more plugging and thicker oil before the filter bypass valve opens (?). The oil pump isn't influenced by what the filter bypass valve is doing.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

You mean the filter (not the oil pump) will tolerate more plugging and thicker oil before the filter bypass valve opens (?). The oil pump isn't influenced by what the filter bypass valve is doing.

The oil pump gets back pressure. When a filter clogs, pressure builds at the oil pump outlet until the oil filter's bypass opens.
Increasing the bypass pressure in the oil filter means the oil pumps gets to a higher back pressure. Some greater stress. I'm saying the greater pressure isn't a problem.
Actually, the oil filter's bypass pressure is below the oil pump's max relief pressure.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The oil pump gets back pressure. When a filter clogs, pressure builds at the oil pump outlet until the oil filter's bypass opens.

The pressure builds up at the oil pump until the oil pump pressure relief valve opens. The pump doesn't care or respond to anything the filler bypass valve is doing. The pump can easily go into pressure relief way before the filter bypass valve opens. The filter can clog and the filter bypass valve will open, even if the pump never sees enough added back pressure to go into pressure relief. They operate completely independently of each other.

Increasing the bypass pressure in the oil filter means the oil pumps gets to a higher back pressure. Some greater stress. I'm saying the greater pressure isn't a problem.

Again the oil pump will get back pressure from the total flow resistance of the filter + oiling system. The oiling system is typically about 15 times more resistant to flow than a clean oil filter for perspective The filter's bypass valve does not cause any increased back pressure - regardless of what it's set to. It's the filter media and the entire oiling system that is causing the flow resistance and back pressure on the pump outlet. The pump's relief valve does not operate based on the filter bypass valve setting in any way. It only operates on what the pump's outlet pressure is at, and that is only dependent on the flow resistance from the pump outlet and beyond downstream of the pump.

Actually, the oil filter's bypass pressure is below the oil pump's max relief pressure.

Yeah, but what's that got to do with anything related to the pump's pressure relief valve setting or how the pump's pressure relief valve operates?

Hydraulic pressure is felt all the way back to the oil pump. The oil filter's bypass relief threshold relieves that pressure. Fluid Mechanics 101

Hydraulic pressure is felt all the way back to the oil pump. The oil filter's bypass relief threshold relieves that pressure. Fluid Mechanics 101

You have a major misconception formed on this. The filter's bypass valve has absolutely nothing to do with how the oil pump relieves pressure to the oiling system due to back pressure seen at the oil pump.

Take the filter bypass valve out of the filter, and the oil pump will react the same exact way and relieve pressure the same exact way if the back pressure becomes greater than the pressure relief valve setting. It operated independently ... the filter bypass valve has absolutely no influence on how the pump relief valve operates.

This is interesting that they did change the bypass pressure without changing the part number of the filter. Like I said earlier though, how is one to know if they are getting the new filter? A lot of places that carry these filters might not sell a lot of them so it could be years before they use up the old stock and get in the latest version.

I know my stash of XG10575's is older … And 16-28 is a pretty wide range …
Have some Albert Champion and Baldwin to use up for now …

Something is going on. Fram issued a technical bulletin on January 1, 2019 saying that the 10575 should no longer be used on certain Jeep/ Chrysler products from 2008 to 2012. They are now to use the 10060. This could indeed mean the bypass pressure is changed.

If it is changed it is now correct for the 2014 and up Chev Gen 5 V8 engines which includes the 5.3 and the 6.2 liter engines. The 6.0 is not a Gen 5 engine so it still uses the 10060 Fram. ( but now I won't be able to put the longer 10575 on my 6.0 anymore.) Rats.

Last edited:

Sounds correct. A relief valve, dumping to atmosphere, can be put on any section of plumbing and it works only on that sections pressure. Before the oil filter is a section of plumbing working at a different pressure than after the oil filter. Seems pretty clear a bypass valve alters the pressure, determined by it's size.
GM has those two speed oil pumps so it is good to use what they say. One doesn't want the oil pump to go into low speed when the conditions want high.

How can I tell old stock from new stock filters. Is there a date code?

I know the ones with stickers are older, but this change of bypass occurred during the black ink printing of the current filters.

Fram says you can't tell the new version from the old one by looking at the box. You can tell them apart by looking down the center tube at the by pass-valve. The old by-pass valve with the lower psi setting is black, and the new one with the higher setting is white. This is according to Fram Technical Services.

Originally Posted by Ag76
Fram says you can't tell the new version from the old one by looking at the box. You can tell them apart by looking down the center tube at the by pass-valve. The old by-pass valve with the lower psi setting is black, and the new one with the higher setting is white. This is according to Fram Technical Services.

AG 76 beat me to it. Yes, that was confirmed to me as well. It is a rolling change and the part numbers are not going to be changed.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Sounds correct. A relief valve, dumping to atmosphere, can be put on any section of plumbing and it works only on that sections pressure. Before the oil filter is a section of plumbing working at a different pressure than after the oil filter. Seems pretty clear a bypass valve alters the pressure, determined by it's size.

Go back and read all the posts in this thread about this subject so far. He believes the filter's bypass valve somehow controls how the pump's pressure relief valve works. It simply doesn't work that way. I know you made a comment in another thread saying you thought the filter's bypass valve somehow "messed with" the pump's relief valve. Care to explain that thought? Misconceptions are pretty hard to break sometimes, but anyone reading this forum for many years should have seen how this stuff works by now.
21.gif

The filter's bypass valve operates completely independent, and has absolutely no connection on how the pump's relief valve works. The filter's bypass valve simply bypasses flow around the filter media when the delta-p across the media is above the bypass valve setting, regardless of what the oil pump is doing ... simple as that.

Back