New Car : First Oil Change Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run the factory fill to 5,000 and change it. Have fun with your perfectly running engine for many years & hundreds of thousands of miles to come while saving money & time.

Changing oil early & at short intervals = useless. Bad idea? No. Good idea? Also no. Definitely not necessary. Oil is the least of your worries.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Run the factory fill to 5,000 and change it. Have fun with your perfectly running engine for many years & hundreds of thousands of miles to come while saving money & time.

Changing oil early & at short intervals = useless.

You cant say that with any sort of certainty unless you can explain why Toyota, Honda and other car companies in Germany and maybe other countries still specify a 1K (600 mi) initial service interval that includes new oil and filter.
Granted their OCI after that are pretty long but they could just as easily spec a 5K initial service. IMO it just makes common sense to get any sort of machining junk out ASAP, engine factories are far from clean or sterile and machining metals does leave junk behind its the nature of the process nothing to do with cleanliness.
Newly machined parts do wear together causing particles to wear off even if they were assembled spotlessly clean, its unavoidable. Many say "well the filter will catch it before it sees the bearings" okay but what about parts pre filter like the pump? For my money its worth the cost of a OC or two to prevent possible scoring of the new pump if nothing else.

Originally Posted By: KL31
Don't listen to any of these nut jobs.

Change oil out at 250 then 500 miles and proceed with an OCI every 1000 for the next 6 changes. It's a well known conspiracy that the car companies want to increase wear for the first 10,000 miles! Why? Easy, the engine will last FAR too long when you rid if of contaminants and other micro wear metals. Also change out the filter on the first OCI. They use special filters that only filter down to 200 microns (normal ones do 20-40 microns). This is also to increase wear due to bigger particles getting through.

Any BITOG conspirators here to backup the change the oil at least 8 times in the first 10000 miles with evidence.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maybe this is just the latest dodge among the many that some makers use to avoid warranty engine replacements?
Oh, so you failed to change the oil as often as recommended?
DENIED!
Oh, so you changed the oil more often than recommended?
DENIED!
The too short change interval thing might just fly in the UK.
I doubt that it would here.

Unless you're using a non OE filter I'd doubt they'd even think to check. It's the 3rd party 'jobber' filters within the warranty period that make them pay attention.

Originally Posted By: Trav

IMO it just makes common sense to get any sort of machining junk out ASAP, engine factories are far from clean or sterile and machining metals does leave junk behind its the nature of the process nothing to do with cleanliness.
Newly machined parts do wear together causing particles to wear off even if they were assembled spotlessly clean, its unavoidable. Many say "well the filter will catch it before it sees the bearings" okay but what about parts pre filter like the pump? For my money its worth the cost of a OC or two to prevent possible scoring of the new pump if nothing else.

This!

You cant say that with any sort of certainty unless you can explain why Toyota, Honda and other car companies in Germany and maybe other countries still specify a 1K (600 mi) initial service interval that includes new oil and filter.
Granted their OCI after that are pretty long but they could just as easily spec a 5K initial service. IMO it just makes common sense to get any sort of machining junk out ASAP, engine factories are far from clean or sterile and machining metals does leave junk behind its the nature of the process nothing to do with cleanliness.

01.gif
cheers3.gif

Follow the OEM maintenance schedule. That's all you need to do. Today's engines are produced on equipment that is so precision that the manufacturers don't even suggest a very extensive break-in procedure. Drive it off the lot and enjoy it.Life is already too complicated for most of us to be concerned with pita break-ins.

dont factory fills have special additive packages like zinc and moly so that the new engine gets a nice high dose of those engine protecting elements for the first 5,000 miles (or whatever proscribed interval is) ?

i always thought that was the reasoning behind the factory fill and the recommended change interval, to allow the engine to soak in those beefed up additives whatever they may be.

by removing it at 500 miles and replacing it with a top tier but not beefed up additive oil you may be doing more harm than good.

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
dont factory fills have special additive packages like zinc and moly

None that I am aware of at best there is a small amount of moly and zinc residual from assy paste on some, nothing is getting soaked in.

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
dont factory fills have special additive packages like zinc and moly so that the new engine gets a nice high dose of those engine protecting elements for the first 5,000 miles (or whatever proscribed interval is) ?

i always thought that was the reasoning behind the factory fill and the recommended change interval, to allow the engine to soak in those beefed up additives whatever they may be.

by removing it at 500 miles and replacing it with a top tier but not beefed up additive oil you may be doing more harm than good.

Apparently they used to have special break in oils from the factory. Not any more...as noted in posts above, several UOAs on factory oil showed a bulk oil.

None that I am aware of at best there is a small amount of moly and zinc residual from assy paste on some, nothing is getting soaked in.

Besides, if someone really wanted a break in lube for a first OCI or two, nothing's actually stopping them from getting one.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I just took ownership of a new 2017 Hyundai Sonata with 2.4L Direct Injection engine (DI engine is a first for me) and 60 miles on the odometer . Hyundai service says : "See you in 5,000 miles" ... * I think is too long for the first oil change ? I'm thinking after pulling up and down revs to 3500 RPM's I'm inclined to drain the factory fill at 100 miles and put in a conventional oil with the lowest NOACK I can find (maybe Mobil Super) plus new filter then do the same thing at 500 miles and 2,500 miles . Then I'll run short two 2,500 mile OCI's plus new filters until 5,000 miles then switch over to PPP 5W20 (very low NOACK synthetic) for 4K to 5K OCI's (80% suburban driving around ATL) for life until the wheels fall off the car (hopefully the Hyundai 2.4L DI engine holds up for at least 200K Miles!) What says you to what I have written above ? ...Let's hear from you !
What is the low NOACK supposed to do?

Originally Posted By: CT8
[What is the low NOACK supposed to do?

NOACK is a volatility test; basically it tells you how quickly a given oil will burn off under test conditions, and gives a percentage that is lost during the test.

Higher NOACK will be consumed more quickly in an engine, so a lower NOACK will usually need less added oil during an OCI.

I changed the original fill oil on my 2014 Mustang GT at 4,600 miles and when the car was a year old by the manufacturer date. I've changed it every year since with the second oil change having 6,600 miles of use and the third one at 7,200 miles of use. I only have about 4,000 miles on this change and my year will be up in January but I'm taking it on vacation starting Sunday and will probably put about 1,500 miles on it.

Car currently has about 22,300 miles on it and runs very strong. The oil hardly drops on the dipstick and stays clean looking the entire change. I use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and a Motorcraft filter.

I don't worry about early changes and I'm sure the engine will outlast the rest of the car.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: KL31
Don't listen to any of these nut jobs.

Change oil out at 250 then 500 miles and proceed with an OCI every 1000 for the next 6 changes. It's a well known conspiracy that the car companies want to increase wear for the first 10,000 miles! Why? Easy, the engine will last FAR too long when you rid if of contaminants and other micro wear metals. Also change out the filter on the first OCI. They use special filters that only filter down to 200 microns (normal ones do 20-40 microns). This is also to increase wear due to bigger particles getting through.

Any BITOG conspirators here to backup the change the oil at least 8 times in the first 10000 miles with evidence.

Trolling conspirators any response I am still waiting.

May I see an owners manual stating this? It seems suspect. A search on google turned-up nothing, but a Phillipines forum saying, "Follow the manual... it says 5000 km, not 1000." (paraphrased)

http://www.kia-forums.com/philippines/26940-1000-km-change-oil-check-up.html

Originally Posted by Jeepster_nut
I gots the diarrhea

This is the first time on BITOG I've ever seen someone's user name get hacked.

Two threads, same nonsense.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jeepster_nut
I gots the diarrhea

This is the first time on BITOG I've ever seen someone's user name get hacked.

Two threads, same nonsense.

When I saw that first post I was wondering that same thing. Children playing around.

Yeah I think it is clear the guy got his account hacked, the last post (before these two gems) was over five years ago. Unless the guy went berserk and just came back to inform us of his malady I don't think it was him.

Weird though that a three year old thread got picked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back