5w-40 or 5w-50 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
STOP THE PRESS'S !!!!

OMG...look at what we have here!!

It's a Porsche 911 with more than 50k miles on it.
27.gif

Kudos to the OP for actually driving the car.

Last edited:
look CLOSELY at the redline specs as i just did. the 0W30 Noack is 9 the 5-30 is 6, there it is!! the excellent vid by savage geese on oils + their viscosity notes even though redline 0-20 is an excellent oil its NOT suited to high temperatures seen on track days. he noted gauges looked good but no oil pressure gauge + oil tests after tracking looked good but bearings were likely damaged because of too THIN oil causing low pressure. Ester oils are the best in the heat so imagine how poor a fake synthetic group oil would be. as i noted all oils continue to thin past the operating temp spec + lesser oils thin more + faster. look at the oil spec'd for an M-3 10W60 because owners track that car as its made for that. use that car in the cold a lighter oil would be better. the right oil for your driving style + ambient temperatures is just smart, its NOT one size fits all!! check it out motor oil the fine print by savage geese, its as good as his reality check on DI engines!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
look CLOSELY at the redline specs as i just did. the 0W30 Noack is 9 the 5-30 is 6, there it is!! the excellent vid by savage geese on oils + their viscosity notes even though redline 0-20 is an excellent oil its NOT suited to high temperatures seen on track days. he noted gauges looked good but no oil pressure gauge + oil tests after tracking looked good but bearings were likely damaged because of too THIN oil causing low pressure. Ester oils are the best in the heat so imagine how poor a fake synthetic group oil would be. as i noted all oils continue to thin past the operating temp spec + lesser oils thin more + faster. look at the oil spec'd for an M-3 10W60 because owners track that car as its made for that. use that car in the cold a lighter oil would be better. the right oil for your driving style + ambient temperatures is just smart, its NOT one size fits all!! check it out motor oil the fine print by savage geese, its as good as his reality check on DI engines!!

Not approved!

approvals mean NOTHING compared to scuffed bearings, think your approved oil used on a "track day" will get a warranty repair!!! many like myself have no warranty so use whats best for your driving conditions!!

approvals mean NOTHING compared to scuffed bearings, think your approved oil used on a "track day" will get a warranty repair!!! many like myself have no warranty so use whats best for your driving conditions!!

The Porsche A40 test literally simulates extensive lapping of the Nurburgring and is followed by a tear-down with inspection and measurements. Approved means EVERYTHING in that context, it actually qualifies performance, through testing. That carries significantly more weight than shoot-from-the-hip hyperbolic fear-mongering or claims that Unicorn Pee Magic Solve All performs better because Bubba says so.

The M3 called for 10w-60 because it had rod bearing issues. The 10w-60 didn't solve that issue. GM is calling for 0w-40 for their tracked Corvette's; their recommendations are very similar to those of Porsche. Ford specs a group III 5w-50 for their highest performance engines and all the Chrysler SRT engines, up to 850HP, spec 0w-40.

Porsche literally base their approval on track usage. But, as usual, you know best...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

The Porsche A40 test literally simulates extensive lapping of the Nurburgring and is followed by a tear-down with inspection and measurements. Approved means EVERYTHING in that context, it actually qualifies performance, through testing. That carries significantly more weight than shoot-from-the-hip hyperbolic fear-mongering or claims that Unicorn Pee Magic Solve All performs better because Bubba says so.

The M3 called for 10w-60 because it had rod bearing issues. The 10w-60 didn't solve that issue. GM is calling for 0w-40 for their tracked Corvette's; their recommendations are very similar to those of Porsche. Ford specs a group III 5w-50 for their highest performance engines and all the Chrysler SRT engines, up to 850HP, spec 0w-40.

They'll seem to be going to zero wt oil's. I've noticed my engines run smoother on a 5/40 vs 0/40. 0 is only needed in extreme cold.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
They'll seem to be going to zero wt oil's. I've noticed my engines run smoother on a 5/40 vs 0/40. 0 is only needed in extreme cold.

There are no "zero wt" oils.

FWIW

I run M1 15w-50 in our 996 and m1 5w-50 in the Boxster S. Both have under 54K miles. The 996 always consumed a little oil with 5w-40 and 5w-50, ~1 qt/1K miles, and is quieter on start up with the heavier oil. Never anything unusual found in either filter, but these barely see 2K year. 15W-50 is one of the recommended weights over 50dg for the '99 996...not sure of the 997's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back