RIP Peter Tork of The Monkees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Monkeys ... a time when the world seemed well. RIP Peter.
If you don't count Vietnam, the drug epidemic, race relations, etc., sure, we'll go with that. As a kid at that time, I wasn't yet exposed to that junk.

People say they were fake, fabricated, yet it succeeded in its demographic and didn't try to be anything other than just happy silly stuff.
We already had plenty of pretentious self-absorbed stars in the music world at the time. The Monkees didn't need to be one of those.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Monkeys ... a time when the world seemed well. RIP Peter.
If you don't count Vietnam, the drug epidemic, race relations, etc., sure, we'll go with that. As a kid at that time, I wasn't yet exposed to that junk.

People say they were fake, fabricated, yet it succeeded in its demographic and didn't try to be anything other than just happy silly stuff.
We already had plenty of pretentious self-absorbed stars in the music world at the time. The Monkees didn't need to be one of those.

"Seemed" was the key word - something that is relative to what people perceive. That time was still better than what's going on today IMO.

I liked their music a lot back in the day....same for the TV show. Lots of fun for a 12 year old.

They all weren't seasoned musicians if you mean singing AND playing. Only Mike Nesmith was the real deal as singer, songwriter, and playing a bit of guitar. Mike wrote LInda Ronstadt's first major hit with the Stone Poney ("Different Drum")....though Ronstadt was the only member of the band that performed on the record. Nesmith wrote that in 1965 and it was recorded by another group first.

The other guys had to learn their instruments which they did eventually. They could all sing. But the primary reason for getting them together was to be in a zany TV show. I think the Wrecking Crew did all their instrumentals on the recorded albums. When a couple of them started touring years later, they were fairly accomplished.

Last edited:
cheers3.gif

It was based on a '66 GTO. Look at the grill in the pictures. The '67 grill was a chromed mesh basket weave. The '66 was a black plastic cheese grater. I know, I had a "66 GTO.

Peter Tork was learning multiple instruments at age nine,and in the early 60s was playing folk music with Stephen Stills. Micky Dolenz had a group called Micky and the One-Nighters in the early to mid 1960s with himself as lead singer. Michael Nesmith began his music careen around 1963 as Michael Blessing. David Jones was an actor/singer who recorded his first album as "David Jones" in 1965.

I missed this thread. His passing got some pretty decent coverage in the Regina media. His father was a professor at the university here many years ago, and Peter would pay visits from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back