PUP 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fine, it's nothing special IMO and they rely too heavily on their basestocks with rather weak additive packages in terms of the performance as the miles accumulate. Evidence is easily seen in the UOA's here where it hold up just fine for 5-8K miles or less and then starts to fall off quickly thereafter.

It's too bad that the M1 oils don't officially meet the MS-6395 Mopar spec in the higher spec oils like AP/EP because of the spat they had with Chrysler when Chrysler moved to SOPUS products.
The M1 oils are better than PUP. (Just a personal opinion). If I was changing my oil at the dealer or SOPUS was far cheaper I would use them with confidence just for a shorter duration than the M1.

You being under warranty might want to run a MS-6395 oil though if that matters to you. SOPUS including PUP are MS-6395 approved.

I personally could care less about MS-6395 which is basically just calling for an API SN GF-5 oil. Not like it's some crazy tough spec to meet like Dexos 1 Gen 2 is (which most oils meet now)
and I have no doubt the M1 higher grade oils would be capable of MS-6395 if it were actually tested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
It's fine, it's nothing special IMO and they rely too heavily on their basestocks with rather weak additive packages in terms of the performance as the miles accumulate. Evidence is easily seen in the UOA's here where it hold up just fine for 5-8K miles or less and then starts to fall off quickly thereafter.

It's too bad that the M1 oils don't officially meet the MS-6395 Mopar spec in the higher spec oils like AP/EP because of the spat they had with Chrysler when Chrysler moved to SOPUS products.
The M1 oils are better than PUP. (Just a personal opinion). If I was changing my oil at the dealer or SOPUS was far cheaper I would use them with confidence just for a shorter duration than the M1.

You being under warranty might want to run a MS-6395 oil though if that matters to you. SOPUS including PUP are MS-6395 approved.

I personally could care less about MS-6395 which is basically just calling for an API SN GF-5 oil. Not like it's some crazy tough spec to meet like Dexos 1 Gen 2 is (which most oils meet now)
and I have no doubt the M1 higher grade oils would be capable of MS-6395 if it were actually tested.

Thanks. Never been fond of Mobil products, have had much better results with Petro Can supreme synthetics.

Running Castrol now, but want to try PUP to see how MPG and such are.

One thing I really don't like about PUP is that it is kind of hard to find and tends to be too expensive compared to other oils but not better performance wise.

I haven't seen any MPG gains between brands, I have seen it from conventional to synthetic but it's minute and really hard to measure.

Esso's new Synergy fuel seems to give me better mileage than Petro Canada and Shell. So you might want to change over to that. It also does a good job cleaning fuel system and valves. Not quite as good as Shell V-Power but premium fuel here is really expensive and Shell stations are hard to find for the most part depending where you are but Esso is everywhere. Petro Canada fuel is terrible IMO from experiences. Their engine oils and ATF's are top-notch though but hard pressed to use them cost wise over M1/SOPUS/Valvoline etc.

Castrol is a mixed bag. Their oils carrying long-life certifications seem decent and last a long time between changes, but their standard oils unless on sale aren't worth it to me. They don't seem to last well past 5-8K miles. They also seem to have a pricing problem compared to others in the market here. Although Costco.ca is a good price usually.

Last edited:
I have found the Esso Gas as well as Pioneer get me better MPG than Petro Canada - it's quite noticeable. When Esso teamed up with PC Optimum I started buying Essa gas. Glad they did that, the MPG is noticeable.

I have been buying Castrol 5W20 from Costco for $32/5L jug.

Should I stick with that deal?

Last edited:
Pioneer is not Top-Tier though so if you owners manual says to use Top-Tier I wouldn't use them (Your Ram manual most likely does).

$30 is a decent price for any $5L oil. Canadian Tire has deals as well as Walmart.

I switched from M1 0w20 to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 in my Honda last year actually and I like it so far. I know that seat of the pants anecdotes often mean nothing, but I honestly feel like my engine runs smoother on PUP 5w20 (and even if it really doesn't, the perception that it does is good enough for me)

I haven't done a UOA just yet, I'm only 5500km into the interval right now, will change it around the one year mark, so it'll probably have 10 to 11,000 km on it, and then I'll get a UOA.

Pioneer is not Top-Tier though so if you owners manual says to use Top-Tier I wouldn't use them (Your Ram manual most likely does).

$30 is a decent price for any $5L oil. Canadian Tire has deals as well as Walmart.

Our Pioneer is a higher volume station than the Esso station - for the most part the pioneer gas comes from the same rack at the fuel depot as the Esso. Higher volume is a better thing Imho.

The Ultramar across the street is not top tier - the MPG is quite noticeable.

Costco gas is not top tier - I will not buy gas there.

Costco is Top-Tier... Ultramar I'm not sure. Pioneer although it comes from the same terminal doesn't have Top-Tier detergent levels added to it. I have e-mailed them and they are still using minimum standard levels. I asked because there is one walking distance from my house that is always crazy busy because they are usually $0.05/L cheaper than everyone else.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ (US and Canadian Brands all listed including Costco but not Pioneer)

Last edited:
Thanks. The lines at costco are not worth it - plus COSTCO prices are not much lower than the Stations here.

Im tempted to try Amsoil too - it meets spec and can be had at decent prices.

Originally Posted by WillB
Thanks. The lines at costco are not worth it - plus COSTCO prices are not much lower than the Stations here.

It's a good price for the performance in the Canadian market. Try XL first, it's a real sleeper of an oil, it's API licensed and will do nicely in your Ram.

Thanks. They seem to be keeping prices in check too - cheaper than many store brands.

It's a good price for the performance in the Canadian market. Try XL first, it's a real sleeper of an oil, it's API licensed and will do nicely in your Ram.

It is suggested by Amsoil for use in those applications requiring the spec, it does not necessarily meet it.

Thanks again. My Ram salesman said so long as you stick with Top tier fuels your hemi will run fine on 87. And it has.
Costco is Top-Tier... Ultramar I'm not sure. Pioneer although it comes from the same terminal doesn't have Top-Tier detergent levels added to it. I have e-mailed them and they are still using minimum standard levels. I asked because there is one walking distance from my house that is always crazy busy because they are usually $0.05/L cheaper than everyone else.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ (US and Canadian Brands all listed including Costco but not Pioneer)

Thanks again. My Ram salesman said so long as you stick with Top tier fuels your hemi will run fine on 87. And it has.

That's all my neighbor runs in his. (He's on his 2nd one now, same year as yours).

I run Amsoil XL 5w20 in my Ram, been doing so since I drained the factory fill at 1500kms. No problems so far, and I usually change it when the OLM gets to around 5% which is usually around to 10,000km mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back