6.0 powerstroke for a forever truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I need to upgrade to a 3/4 or a 1 ton diesel so that I can upgrade my travel trailer for full time living. I'm also getting away from new vehicles and new car payments. Trading my 17 f150 ecoboost and buying a 14k or so diesel to keep forever.

Obvious choice is a 24v cummins with a 6 speed in that price range but the ford's are trickier.

The 7.3 seems obvious with the ford's but 2003 and up is a nicer truck with a better transmission. With the way the aftermarket responded to the 6.0 problems would it be so bad to go this route to get a nicer truck for less money? I already know I'm going to have to put some money into whatever I get buying a 15 year old truck. What about the 6.4? Are the 6.0/6.4 easy to work on? I really don't want to have to pull the cab off to work on it either.

Thanks for any info.

I have talked to diesel guys about this, and you are on the right track.

It takes a bout $3000 to make a 6.0 "Bulletproof" with head studs & all the necessary "deletes" (mainly the EGR) and the truck will be as reliable as the 7.3 with better transmission.

The Dodge trucks forever have transmission problems. I don't think there is a cure for them, unless you step up into the Medium duty level (Think Freightliner FL70 style)

Get a good 6.0 Ford , do the right stuff to it at a reputable shop, and enjoy your truck for 400,000+ miles

Stay away from the 6.4, they are horrible motors.

To bulletproof a 6.0 the correct way is more like 8-10k.

Last edited:
There is a reason why there are so many FUMINS around. I thought I couldn`t live without a diesel for my next truck but got over it when DEF became necessary.

If i was in your shoes I would get a Duramax LBZ with an Allison Trans and a FASS lift pump. That is my next forever truck..

Originally Posted by diyjake

To bulletproof a 6.0 the correct way is more like 8-10k.

Anyone who pays that much needs to find a better diesel shop.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You should buy one from the powerstroke help guy. If I wanted a 6.0 that's what I would do.

He is certainly an expert on the Ford 6.0 PSD, but I am sure there are others. He is buying the same parts anyone can buy. But eventually the PSD before the 6.7 will age away and your only choice will be a 6.7.

I have only had one issue with my 6.7 PSD and that was a exhaust temp sensor. Got Ford to pick up the tab on that.

Originally Posted by Donald
You should buy one from the powerstroke help guy. If I wanted a 6.0 that's what I would do.

He is certainly an expert on the Ford 6.0 PSD, but I am sure there are others. He is buying the same parts anyone can buy. But eventually the PSD before the 6.7 will age away and your only choice will be a 6.7.

I have only had one issue with my 6.7 PSD and that was a exhaust temp sensor. Got Ford to pick up the tab on that.

People love the 6.0 as it only has EGR (if memory services)...no $8,000+ emissions equipment that will eventually have to be serviced or replaced way before the truck dies. Or find a nice 7.3...no EGR or anything like that. If picking a forever truck...7.3 or 6.0 (bulletproof version) would be on my wish list.

Originally Posted by Donald

The 6.7 will be a nightmare down the road due to the emissions systems. There have already been problems with the DEF tank sensor malfunctioning and causing the truck to go into limp mode.

If I had to get a forever truck, I'd get a 6.2 Ford equipped with 4.30 gearing, a 6.8 ford or a 6.0 Chevy. All HD.
The good diesels have wore out or rusted out. The newer ones cost too much to make right or they have ridiculous emissions nightmare repairs.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why not buy a gasser? The new diesels can be money pits once the warranty runs out. $500 an injector, $1500 turbo, $1500 injection pump.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd buy the same truck ls1mike has, a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L
Last year of the 6.0 was 2008. Diesels are more expensive to fix but we are talking about a truck that either has been or will be heavily modified to improve reliability.

A gas truck does make sense in this situation because one need not be concerned about resale on a forever truck. You can also save the money spent on mods and get a newer or better condition gas truck.

It really depends on how much OP is towing, and where it is being towed.

In the years you're looking at, I'd suggest including Chevy/GMC in your choices. The pre '07 6.6L are the simplest as they lack all the emissions related junk that costs a boatload to replace when it fails. I believe the early 2000's trucks had fuel injectors that could be problematic (the leaked IIRC and were a bear to replace), but other than that these were fairly rock solid powertrains, engine and transmission both.

I've driven all the big 3 trucks in those years, and I felt the 6.6L had a bit more turbo lag than the others and the engine note doesn't sound as pleasing (totally subjective)-- besides those things, I loved the engine, a real workhorse that was essentially trouble-free. We had a few 2005-2006 GMC 3500 work trucks and the only issue we had with them in 150k miles or so was idiots putting gasoline in the tank on occasion.

I like the Ford 6.0 too, aside from all the teething problems they had in the early versions. If you're not into tuning or power enhancers, these can be good engines, but they are certainly not as reliable as a Cummins or Duramax in my experience. As far as driving them goes (reliability notwithstanding) I prefer the Ford 6.0 over the others.

Looking at a 10-16 year old truck is tricky. To get a good one, you'll need to spend more than your prescribed limit. A nice TX or AZ or NM truck with zero rust is expensive. You can find a 6.0PSD in the midwest, but it will be a rust bucket. My 2006 LBZ Dmax had a great engine and trans, but the rest of it rusted BADLY (body panels, and had to replace the brake lines, tranny lines, p/s lines, fuel lines, fuel cooler all due to rust). There are a few unicorn nice 15 year old trucks out there, but they'll be way out of your price range. The 6.0L PSD can be a great motor, but by the time you fix up the motor AND the rusted truck bits, you're in really deep.

It may cost a bit more, but depending upon your load to be towed, I concur that perhaps a newer gas motor HD truck might be a great choice. Super low maintenance, very capable, and getting one that's about 5years old is likely close to your budget. 6.2L Ford or 6.0L GM HD trucks can be found for a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
The 6.7 will be a nightmare down the road due to the emissions systems. There have already been problems with the DEF tank sensor malfunctioning and causing the truck to go into limp mode.
Agreed and if one thinks otherwise, they are fooling themselves.There is [censored] little that is cheap on ANY of the modern diesels and tinkering with the emissions is typically breaking the law. Although the HP/TQ is great, the emissions requirements have ruined the prospect of a forever truck--at least not one that is cheap to keep.

Yea I really don't want to pull a trailer 25k miles a year getting 7 miles to the gallon. Seems like that's what I would be getting based on what other 6.2 and 6.8 users are getting. I'm barely getting 9mpg with my 2.7 ecoboost pulling 6k let alone upgrading to a 10k+ trailer.

Do not but a 2001/2004 LB7 GM 6.6 diesel, 2005-2007 LLY are good to go.

Dodge 24 valve 1998/2002- I would not touch one.

Dodge came out with a common rail diesel in 2003, but they have the same injector problems as the first gen LB7 GM's, Bosch injectors. I don't know when they got it worked out.

Ford 6.4, Don't even think about it! Go find the tallest building you can, and jump off of it, it will be less painful than owning a Ford with a 6.4 diesel!

A Ford with a 6.0 is a much, Much better choise than a 6.4 no matter how much money you have to put into it to make it "Bullet Proof". Did I say DON'T buy a 6.4?!!! Yup, I did....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back