Best oil for small oil leak timing cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 08 Lexus ES350 with 151k miles. Had it checked out before I got it and found it had a Front Engine/Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak. Very minor kinda like just a stain showing. Got the car for a great price.

So what is a good 0-20 oil to run that helps with very minor oil leaks like this? Any valued info and experiences would be appreciated? I know there is talk of the High mileage oils being good for things like this. Any experience with one that might be a good choice? Thanks

Use 5w30
smile.gif

I would clean it up first and then check on it periodically to determine how much of a leak this is. The ideal solution is to fix it.

I know an old mechanic that would say "pour a tablespoon of DOT 3 brake fluid in the oil fill"
grin2.gif

I've never actually tried the ol' "brake-fluid-in-the-oil-to-stop-a-seal-leak-trick"

There actually *IS* an additive for leaky seals called "ATP AT-205"

"AT-205 added to leaking system. AT-205 Re-Seal is added to any leaking engine, transmission, power steering system, differential or hydraulic system (except for brakes) to condition rubber seals/gaskets and stop leaks. Simply pour it in as you would be filling it with oil or fluid."

The stuff really works.

Originally Posted by jgscott
Very minor kinda like just a stain showing.
So what is a good 0-20 oil to run that helps with very minor oil leaks like this?

I wouldn't worry about a minor "seep"

You are in Georgia - just run 5W-30 High Mileage oil in that thing.

For a stain, I'd do nothing. Most older engines probably have such stains or seepage. Until it was leaking where you can see the change on your dipstick over a week I wouldn't do anything.

A thin synthetic oil like 0w-20 will only seep a bit more. So recommendations so far make good sense. And you don't need a 0w oil in Georgia. And for most of the year a 5w-30 is probably fine for a high mileage engine. If your car can use a conventional or semi-syn HM oil, I'd use that. More seal conditioners to improve your engine sealing.

If it is a seep at an RTV sealant joint, no high mileage oil will fix or quell it. If it is a seep at a lip seal, I.E. a crankshaft seal or camshaft seal, a high mileage oil with seal conditioners may help. There is nothing to "condition" about RTV sealant. You can only repair it properly. If you don't want the trouble of messing with it, as others have stated, try a 30 weight and see if it slows after cleaning it off first.

Last edited:
The best oil for valve cover leaks is sold on RockAuto and it's called a timing chain cover. Until then keep topping up and enjoy the benefit of engine rust-proofing.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Leaks are one thing weeping is another, don't worry about weeping. Additives may actually worsen the weep and turn it into a full blown leak especially if RTV is involved. I would do nothing more than occasionally monitoring of it.

Let try to differentiate between Gaskets an Seals:

When discussing seals such as in engines, transmissions, and other driveline components, the context is that of using flexible, elastomeric materials to keep fluids contained within the mechanical system that have rotating components exiting the system, such as protruding rotating shafts.

For a gasket, the context is that of using a material (such as silicone or cork or composite), or some other material to keep fluids contained in and around stationary objects, such as the valve cover gasket on an engine, timing chain covers, or the pan gasket on an automatic transmission.

Both seals and gaskets "prevent" loss of fluids.

Conditioning seals refers to the following actions:

1) Seal swell due to Seal elastomer molecular replacement
2) Seal cleaning,

Today's synthetic formulations have pretty much solved the seal "shrink-swell" problem.

Both seals and gaskets "prevent" loss of fluids but there is a difference and even parts guys don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two:

Stop leak fluids have little effect on Gaskets, so if you have a leak to the outside from the Timing Chain cover, it is usually due to a Gasket.

Originally Posted by StevieC
The best oil for valve cover leaks is sold on RockAuto and it's called a timing chain cover. Until then keep topping up and enjoy the benefit of engine rust-proofing.
lol.gif

lol.gif

Great point ^^^^^

I just bought a 08 Lexus ES350 with 151k miles. Had it checked out before I got it and found it had a Front Engine/Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak. Very minor kinda like just a stain showing. Got the car for a great price.

So what is a good 0-20 oil to run that helps with very minor oil leaks like this? Any valued info and experiences would be appreciated? I know there is talk of the High mileage oils being good for things like this. Any experience with one that might be a good choice? Thanks

Fix the leak.

A known problem. Expensive to fix because engine has to be removed. The timing cover is sealed with formed in place gasket. No high mileage oil is going to magically fix it.

Cost me $1750 to have one fixed, but I had other work done too like plugs, seals, water pump, and compete fluid changes. Lexus dealer is going to be high! Toyota dealer will fix it too for less..but not by much.

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lex...x350-camry-avalon-sienna-and-highlander/

The cover was sealed at the Factory by a robot with sealant. Word is that the Robot process was off on the proper outline to seal correctly. So its not a gasket, but is in fact sealant.

The entire engine has to come out to fix. I'm from the school of fix my stuff too correctly. But......Not pulling the engine to do that at this time it's big $$$$. Ill see what the owners manual says are different weight options, that's a good idea. Just wondering if some have use a certain brand/type (ex. HM) that worked for them.

Additives are a option too, but not sure which are safe long term or will if help.

Supertech has a high mileage 0w-20. I'd be willing to run that in my 1.5 year old subaru!

But it's high mileage and might help with occasional oil weeping.

The cover was sealed at the Factory by a robot with sealant. Word is that the Robot process was off on the proper outline to seal correctly. So its not a gasket, but is in fact sealant.

The entire engine has to come out to fix. I'm from the school of fix my stuff too correctly. But......Not pulling the engine to do that at this time it's big $$$$. Ill see what the owners manual says are different weight options, that's a good idea. Just wondering if some have use a certain brand/type (ex. HM) that worked for them.

Additives are a option too, but not sure which are safe long term or will if help.

My apologies for my humor in the situation then. Maybe a thicker oil and maybe a high mileage oil will help.

Concur with HM 5w30 oil use to stop or reduce the small seepage.
Recommend Valvoline High Mileage MaxLife full synthetic 5w30. Walmart for cheap. It's dexos1 rated, has some Ti AW/FM, HM for seals & gaskets, and is a bit thicker for the older engine. 5w30 is only 10% thicker (HTHS), so the engine will do great on it, as we're not off the new-engine 0w20 spec that much.

I was under the impression that high mileage oils will not do anything for bead sealed parts? They work on gaskets and things like valve seals and cam seals but not the stuff being applied by robots.

The Maxima in my sig was leaking from pretty much everywhere. So I tried ST HM 10w30. No drips anymore just a little wet on the surface. No startup issues during recent -15F cold spell.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I was under the impression that high mileage oils will not do anything for bead sealed parts? They work on gaskets and things like valve seals and cam seals but not the stuff being applied by robots.

They typically don't but it's worth a try considering what he has to do to fix the problem right.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back