Use of Redline D4 ATF fluid vs Mobil1 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used with good results the Redline MTL products. Looking at their web site, I noticed that they claim their D4 ATF fluid is GL4 rated. Since my car has an auto tran with transaxle that shares the ATF fluid, do you think I would get better wear protection on the gears vs my current Mobil1 ATF fluid? Am I reading too much into the GL4 rating? I plan to keep the car for a long time 250K-300K+, I hope.

The difference might be small,but I would be willing to change out to Redline at the next refill. I assume the Redline is at least equil to Mobil1 ATF. Proably better with the GL4 rating. What do you guys think? Thanks for any replies.

[ April 24, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

MTL is a gear oil, 70W80 I believe whihc is a long way from ATF. they may both be GL-4 rated but I do not believe they are at all interchageable.

I may have mis read your quetion though, sounds like because you have had good luck with the MTL you wish to use the RedlIne ATF? If that is the question then I have no comment, I have not seen many users of the RedLine ATF on this board, mostly Mobil and Amsoil. I have used the Amsoil for years for ATF and RedLine for gear oil.

Does the GL-4 designation make a diff for ATF, hopefully someone can comment

[ April 24, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

I would have no hesitation in using the Redline product in your transaxle as far as the quality goes. I use their Racing ATF and 10/40 motor oil in my classic car, but use Mobil 1 ATF in my daily drivers due mostly to the significant price difference in getting the Redline product to my door. I'm not sure though whether it would be worth it for you to change over if your application doesn't specify the GL-4 rating.

Thanks for your replies. The real question might be why does RL claim GL4 for their ATF. They do not expect you to use an ATF fluid for a GL4 rated unit. I think their marketing point is that their ATF is so good that it is Gl4 rated too. Since some units like my 6cyl Camry uses ATF fluid for both the auto trans unit and the transaxle gears, it seems that the RL ATF with it GL4 gear protection might be better than Moibl1 1 ATF.

Of course,Moibl1 ATF might be equal to RL ATF D4 and Mobil1 just does not make the claim. That is the initial question. Does RL ATF D4 protect better than Mobil1 ATF considering gears. I am sure as a plain ATF both are good. But I am focusing on the gears that are in the ATF fluid.

Hi--

Red Line D4 ATF is specified for Mercon V vehicles. Since Mercon vehicles can take a Mercon V, it will be an okay fluid. I use D4 ATF in my 4R-70w.Red Line is GL-4 rated. Red Line, in my opinion, is far superior to any other ATF on the market. I felt the difference when I switched. They are a quality product.
cheers.gif
For further informantion you can call Dave Granquist at Red Line's number:

707-745-6100

[ April 24, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Just saw the link, probably not much different with shipping, but nice to have the option and to support the site.

[ April 25, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

I've got a 1998 Honda Prelude.

I've used RedLine D4 ATF in my ride's AT and I can tell you that it's a little to slick for that application. The tranny was slipping all over the place.

I understand that many of the folks have success with RedLine High Temp Dexron III. It's slightly thicker than regular D III ATF.

Just wondering, has anybody else had this problem wiht REDLINE AFT D4 of being to slick? It seems that the Dextron specs would eliminate this problem.

I definitely don't have that problem with RL D4. If anything, the opposite. Did a drain and fill on a 4T65E tranny. (I think that's about 75% changeout) And especially after a couple days, the shifting was noticably firmer and precise.

From Redline's Website:

quote:

Also provides tremendously improved shifting in cold weather. The
best low-temperature shiftability for manual transmissions and
transaxles which require ATFs.

I interpret this tells me that this fluid can be used in both Manual AND Automatic transaxles that require ATF.

[ May 23, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

People with stick shift BMW E46's (3-series) often use D4 ATF in their manual transmissions to make the shifter smoother.

As for recent Hondas, don't ever use anything but the Honda ATF in the automatic transmission!!

Jason

Quit worrying. The transmission is designed and made to work with the ATF. Many transaxles share the ATF with the diff for lubrication.
Pick a fluid a stick with it. Your two choices are excellent and either will work fine.

If a transmission slips, I'm voting for mechanical/hydraulic/electrical issues. I doubt that slippage was caused by the fluid.

I have already done three drain/flushes with D4. Only drove the car a few miles, but did not noticed any slip or much changes nor did I expect to see any.

I was looking at the flash temp for M-1 ATF and Reline D4 and the Mobil1 was actually higher. I thought the esters in RL would have been higher. The low temps and the hight temps overall were very close. Probably should have just kept with the M1. I am using RL MT90 in several other cars manuals trans but ATFs with their higher repair/complexity kind of scare me. This is my first ATF in 25 years. The other manual cars have 230K and 270K miles, so I tend to keep cars a long time. In Colorado, they just don't rust and the paint holds up even with the higher UV. The Camry is kind of a test car. The other cars/trucks just had dino and good maintenace for most miles.

[ May 24, 2003, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

Because they are recommended to use Hondas ATF-Z1 fluid. Just like recent Toyotas reccomend the Toyo type-IV ATF fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back