Grease gun that doesn't suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of these at O'Reilly but it's truly awful:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W54205-Mini-Grease/dp/B002V0AIWW

Not sure what I was doing wrong but all the grease was coming out of the "vent hole" and around the zerk fitting, not actually going into the tie rod ends. I have never used a grease gun before but I really think the tool was just junk. I'm going to return that and switch to a full size grease gun because I bought a full-size tube of AMSOIL grease I want to use instead of the one included with the mini grease fun.

Any suggestions for what to go with instead? Most of the ones at O'Reilly are Performance Tool which obviously sucks but what about FlexZilla? Those any good? Because we sell that and I'm willing to spend the money on it if it's worth it. Or should I buy something elsewhere?

Last edited:
The O'Reilly near me sells the Lincoln pistol grip, that's a nice gun but you can get it cheaper online. After using cheap auto parts store grease guns all my life I now have an OTC (rebranded Lincoln) pistol grip and an Alemite heavy duty lever gun. It's so much nicer using a decent grease gun, especially when you're greasing a semi truck with over 30 zerks.

Originally Posted by carloz
I have the Lincoln 1134. It is a little pricey but works fine.

Agreed.

The Lincoln grease gun costs more but is worth EVERY penny.

The one I paid $30 for over 30 years ago still works perfectly.

The Macnaught K29 or K32 are some of the best, there are Wanner from Switzerland also but are quite expensive. The old US brands are now made in India and China and not very good but they are cheap. If you really need a high quality gun then the Macnaught K32 is the way to go without breaking the bank for a wanner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K32-FLEXIGUN-400g-Grease-Gun-K32-01/223191057742?epid=9024928718&hash=item33f739454e:g:QjwAAOSwPfBbxQPt

Flea market or ebay for an old USA made Lincoln or Alemite is probably the cheapest and best option to save $$

Part of the equation is using a grease that will actually flow (especially wen it gets cold). I once bought some Valvoline SynPower #2 moly grease and it was so thick I could never get it to flow through a grease gun right even in the middle of summer. Maybe it was a bad tube, but something like Supertech #2 Moly works just fine.

For cheap grease guns, I have found "lubeman" brand at farm stores locally work well for me.

I have two Lincoln grease guns, a pistol grip and a lever model. I like both and use them both. Having said that I prefer the pistol grip.

Originally Posted by Trav
The Macnaught K29 or K32 are some of the best, there are Wanner from Switzerland also but are quite expensive. The old US brands are now made in India and China and not very good but they are cheap. If you really need a high quality gun then the Macnaught K32 is the way to go without breaking the bank for a wanner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K32-FLEXIGUN-400g-Grease-Gun-K32-01/223191057742?epid=9024928718&hash=item33f739454e:g:QjwAAOSwPfBbxQPt

Flea market or ebay for an old USA made Lincoln or Alemite is probably the cheapest and best option to save $$

The head on Macnaught pistol grip looks identical to Lincoln or OTC, I'd bet they all come from the same place in India, I know the Lincoln and OTC does. Hose is German, rest is India.

I need an extra grease gun. When I go to my local flea market, which is huge, we have 2, will these names be imprinted somewhere on the gun?

I bought a Performance Tool W54204 pistol grip from O'Reilly, and it was a hunk of junk. O'Reilly has a lifetime warranty, so I had no problem returning it.

O'Reilly Performance Tool W54204

Bought a Lincoln pistol grip, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have two Lincoln grease guns, a pistol grip and a lever model. I like both and use them both. Having said that I prefer the pistol grip.

Me, too. I have 2 Lincolns. I use 2 different greases in my 4Runner. I keep the Moly grease is in the lever grip one. The Regular grease (which I use the most of) is in the pistol grip.

If I just used one grease, I'd def get the pistol grip.

There's nothing that can quite compare to a crappy grease gun and the time you spend getting grease all over everything and twisting on and off and getting the spillage all in your trash can and tools and...well, I hope you get
the picture and it doesn't become a reality to you like it did to me. I wasted $20 and a tube of grease, a shirt and my wife was not a happy camper when I didn't realize I had trekked a few grease spots on the basement carpet.

I am only going to use one grease for everything and it's probably gonna last me years!

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll return it and pay the difference for a Lincoln brand grease gun. More votes for that than any other!

I have not owned a vehicle that had grease zerks since the mid 80's I owned a 1979 F150 in the mid 80's that had zerks on the ball joints and U joint. I still have an old grease gun in the garage .It has not been touched in probably 30 years.

Originally Posted by BJD78
I have not owned a vehicle that had grease zerks since the mid 80's I owned a 1979 F150 in the mid 80's that had zerks on the ball joints and U joint. I still have an old grease gun in the garage .It has not been touched in probably 30 years.

I use mine mostly on 4 tractors and 3 trailers.

Originally Posted by stoan
Originally Posted by Trav

The head on Macnaught pistol grip looks identical to Lincoln or OTC, I'd bet they all come from the same place in India, I know the Lincoln and OTC does. Hose is German, rest is India.

Its made in Australia. Looks the same does not mean it is.

I would also advise to read the instructions.. grease guns can airlock and have very specific loading instructions that arent intuitive if you have never used one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back