Recommend me a sturdy grease gun for U-joint Zerk fittings

I want to try my hand at greasing the universal joints on drive shafts/propeller shafts. What pressure should the grease gun be capable of? Pls recommend sturdy manual grease gun for this job. Also what grease to use for a warm climate?

Don’t overthink this.

Any cheap grease gun will do. It’s like the proverbial “First Rule of Gunfighting.” (First, have a gun). Just get a a cheap hand-held one from HD, Amazon, wherever and go to town. The fact you are doing the maintenance is the thing. One of the small cheap units off Amazon or from Harbor Freight will work just fine.

I’m a little retro and one of my SUVs (1998) requires me to grease the center bearing on the prop shaft every 40k or so. I’ve learned over years that the cheapest, mini gun I have is by far the best/easiest tool to use.

Grease is tool-agnostic.

Pump it in, who cares how you did it.

(Uh oh, I’m going to get blow-back for that, I bet.)

Last edited:
I want to try my hand at greasing the universal joints on drive shafts/propeller shafts. What pressure should the grease gun be capable of? Pls recommend sturdy manual grease gun for this job. Also what grease to use for a warm climate?
I have been using the same Plews grease gun for 20+ years now. I would get one with a pistol grip as this will free up one hand to hold the hose onto the fitting. That is what I would get. As far as a grease, I use a multi purpose lithium based grease for chassis and driveline applications. Nothing special.

Cheap grease guns are nothing but trouble, buy a good one and it will last 2 lifetimes. This is one of the best on the market.

Schaeffer's 219 NLGI 2 is perfect for this application. Not the cheapest but the stuff will last.

Get a pistol grip gun if you need to use a hose. Lever guns need two hands and work best with a hard pipe. Pistol grip can use a hose or pipe. As someone else stated, don't go too cheap. I have a couple of Plews guns that are over twenty years old. They leak a bit, but still do the job.

+1 on the MacNaught.

Buy once. Cry once.

Everything else I’ve seen lately is just junk.

Used my MacNaught yesterday. Worked great.

Lincoln pistol type with hose is what we have used when working maintenance,,schaeffers 274 grease in it ,low priced ones are not as good,the tendency to over grease with electric grease guns ,not good for seals,no feel of pressure when resistance pumping is full

Cheap grease guns are nothing but trouble, buy a good one and it will last 2 lifetimes. This is one of the best on the market.

Schaeffer's 219 NLGI 2 is perfect for this application. Not the cheapest but the stuff will last.

Almost old man here - I've used lever style guns my entire life. Please tell me how the pistol style compares regarding hand strength needed on a stubborn agriculture zerks? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these (Pun unintended) Thank you.

I just bought a Macnaught with the pistol grip and like it a lot. It's much easier to use than my "no name" lever guns.

Almost old man here - I've used lever style guns my entire life. Please tell me how the pistol style compares regarding hand strength needed on a stubborn agriculture zerks? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these (Pun unintended) Thank you.
The only way to get through a plugged passage is to remove the pin and clean it out. I bought the special tool to open them, don't work. After using my m18 Milwaukee I won't use a hand pump ever again

Reactions: D60
This one is very easy on the hands, it was designed right and built right.

Reactions: D60
The only way to get through a plugged passage is to remove the pin and clean it out. I bought the special tool to open them, don't work. After using my m18 Milwaukee I won't use a hand pump ever again
Yeah somewhere I also have the thing you hit with a hammer and is supposed to open up a clogged fitting. I've never used it and always wondered if they actually work. Sounds like probably not!!

Yeah somewhere I also have the thing you hit with a hammer and is supposed to open up a clogged fitting. I've never used it and always wondered if they actually work. Sounds like probably not!!
Lock n lube has something like that. I don't have it so I'm not sure if it works.

We use a Milwaukee M18 electric gun with a Lock-N-Lube nozzle at the shop. Manual John Deere heavy duty pistol grip goes in the truck, but that's just a rebranded Alemite model 555-E.

These grease tube shortages are starting to get annoying though. I might have to look into spending the money on a bulk fill system to use 35lb buckets.

We use a Milwaukee M18 electric gun with a Lock-N-Lube nozzle at the shop. Manual John Deere heavy duty pistol grip goes in the truck, but that's just a rebranded Alemite model 555-E.

These grease tube shortages are starting to get annoying though. I might have to look into spending the money on a bulk fill system to use 35lb buckets.
I have an Alemite 555-E that I bought years ago from Lock N Lube. It has always worked very well.

Back