Recommend me a sturdy grease gun for U-joint Zerk fittings

I have had the same cheap grease gun for at least 30 years. I remember buying it moving away from home for the first time and Dad's selection of guns was no longer available. I presume there not built like they used to but for just greasing u-joints a few times a year I wouldn't spend $60 bucks on one. Get one at Harbor Freight for $15. Now if I was making my living with it or back on the farm again, well different use case.

U-Joints in my experience don't take much pressure at all - not like commercial or ag equipment - which I grew up greasing and you definitely needed the leaver type.

And you reckon the cheap one from 1993 is the same quality as a cheap one today? It isn't.
Maybe, maybe not. The HF ones get good reviews. Chinese manufacturing has gotten better, not worse in 30 years actually. How much grease gun do you need to grease a few u-joints. There is virtually no pressure on a u-joint zirk.

How do you know the $60 ones are any good anymore either. They wouldn't be the first high end product to succumb to supply chain disruption quality issues, or get acquired by VC money requiring "value engineering' to pay for it?

IMHO you don't need the best tool if you use it twice a year. Other opinions vary.

Last edited:
I have seen cheap one fold at the handle, not make enough pressure to do the job, flimsy build quality, etc. You would be lucky to find a Chinese made on today most are made in India.
When all you make is commercial high quality lubrication equipment and have a solid name in the industry value engineering does not fit in the equation. Hey it is not skin of my nose if you like and buy low quality products have at it. $60 is not much for a quality tool, I am not recommending top shelf just very good quality at a very reasonable almost low price, top shelf like Abnox Wanner has a much higher price tag.

I have seen cheap one fold at the handle, not make enough pressure to do the job, flimsy build quality, etc. You would be lucky to find a Chinese made on today most are made in India.
When all you make is commercial high quality lubrication equipment and have a solid name in the industry value engineering does not fit in the equation. Hey it is not skin of my nose if you like and buy low quality products have at it. $60 is not much for a quality tool, I am not recommending top shelf just very good quality at a very reasonable almost low price, top shelf like Abnox Wanner has a much higher price tag.

Everyone should spend their own money as they see fit.

I grew up on a farm and my dad had a second business excavating. I used to carry 2 grease guns, and they got emptied every morning, 20 zerks on a backhoe, need grease daily. We refilled the tubes from a 5 gallon pail each night. So I am not uneducated in the use of a grease gun. If I were doing that again I would pay. Good reminder, I should grab my Dad's next time I am home.

As a hobbyist you need to prioritize your expenses. If your only greasing u-joints there is no backpressure - the only pressure is the bearing seals. Not like a press fit pin on a heavy equipment joint.

If you have limited funds and that is all your using it for - buy your grease gun at harbor freight, and your jack stand from Esco, not the other way around. If your rolling in cash, then sure buy the best of everything. Again, IMHO.

Last edited:
Well, guys, I bought my pistol style grease gun. And a cartridge of lithium grease #2 to go. I used it yesterday to lube the prop shaft of my Toyota pickup yesterday. Zerk fittings at the front, rear, and also the middle of the shaft where there was a bearing. Question: Is it better to store the grease gun with the trigger open, or should it be closed, like when it first arrived, with a round metal ring that kept it that way. I reckon it was delivered that way to make it fit the shipping box and nothing more.

We use a Milwaukee M18 electric gun with a Lock-N-Lube nozzle at the shop. Manual John Deere heavy duty pistol grip goes in the truck, but that's just a rebranded Alemite model 555-E.

These grease tube shortages are starting to get annoying though. I might have to look into spending the money on a bulk fill system to use 35lb buckets.
Shortages? News to me.

Back