Southwest Airlines slides off runway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup - the math is off a bit. It works out to about 200 miles of 2 lane road, give or take, depending on the width. The distance to New Orleans is more like 1200 miles from here.

Originally Posted by anndel
Where was the first one, Midway in Chicago? I heard a United plane skidded off the runway at O'Hare this past weekend.

I knew someone on that plane. They left in the morning knowing they were going to arrive at the tail end of the snow. She said everything seemed normal on the landing and they didn't even feel any difference when the plane stopped. Kind of weird a) that they didn't feel anything and b) how that even happened.

Midway has had issues because the runways are just over a mile in length. It's tight. For comparison, some of ORD's are over two miles.

Originally Posted by Astro14
According to a good friend, who is a SWA Captain, "The most dangerous place on an airport is between me and the gate!".

They are always taxiing very fast, much faster than I would taxi...

My ex neighbor was a Vietnam era naval aviator flew an A4 then other planes in his Naval enlistment and retired an American Airlines pilot . We would do lunch weekly I loved his aviation knowledge He would say" I love flying the planes but I hate the airports"

We were unable to stop during taxi on ice (G550) the other night. The brakes worked, but the idling engines kept pushing us forward on the ice. A very uncomfortable feeling.

In the end, we had to taxi up to the hangar ramp, (which is heated 120 feet out from the hangar doors) , to be able to stop. Very little in the way of steering either. (they heat the ramp, so they can tow)

After us, a Citation jet tried using thrust reversers and he did a complete 360 spin on the ice right in front of the hangar.

Aircraft are not like cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by anndel
Where was the first one, Midway in Chicago? I heard a United plane skidded off the runway at O'Hare this past weekend.

I am not a fan of landing at Midway in the winter with less than perfect weather, especially heavy snow. The -700 vref is usually below 140. But the -800 full cabin, vref +5 is a good rule of thumb which is usually 155. -700 flap 40 no auto brakes and on the -800 flaps 30, 3 auto brakes. Max auto brake tends to be be uncomfortable for everyone on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back