Catch Can on the Caravan (250km)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in my case because I have PFI but interesting to see. Just want to collect everything the catch can collects for the next year and see what volume it produces.

I put one on my GTO after having to clean a bunch of oil out of the intake manifold and encrusted black crud out of the intake ports. It never collects moisture, just small amounts of black oil.

Fair enough. I wonder how much water is collected, now that you've started this. However: I feel like this would be best contrasted against fuel usage. I mean, IIRC you drive a lot per year. So if you were to say fish out a gallon it might not mean "everyone" has a gallon of water going through their PCV system. Water as a function of fuel usage, now that might be a good measurement.

Originally Posted by supton
Fair enough. I wonder how much water is collected, now that you've started this. However: I feel like this would be best contrasted against fuel usage. I mean, IIRC you drive a lot per year. So if you were to say fish out a gallon it might not mean "everyone" has a gallon of water going through their PCV system. Water as a function of fuel usage, now that might be a good measurement.

I can keep track of fuel usage over that time, sure.

I run catch cans on my 2014 Mustang GT, my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT and her 2017 Ford F150 with the 5.0. I have only seen the milky oil in the catch can on the F150. Mine and her Mustangs always just have black oil in them.

I first started running a Catch can on my fiancee's Mustang on the advice of a few people on one of the mustang forums. Her car was starting to blow blue smoke out of the exhaust on cold start ups when the car didn't have very many miles on it. When I took off the factory PVC line for the first time, it was soaked with oil inside. After adding the catch can, the blue smoke on start up stopped and has not come back.

When I bought my 14 Mustang new, a catch can was the first thing I added to it and have been running one for over 5 years on this car with no problems. Whether or not they help long term or not, they make me feel better anyway.

Originally Posted by wtd
I first started running a Catch can on my fiancee's Mustang on the advice of a few people on one of the mustang forums. Her car was starting to blow blue smoke out of the exhaust on cold start ups when the car didn't have very many miles on it.
That can't be good for the cats, either.

My GP just tripped a cat code recently. Since this is an OBD county, I have to replace it or break the law and cheat somehow. No doubt oil has killed it, and the car only uses about a quart every 3000mi including seal leaks. I have to wonder if the cat would have lasted longer with a catch can ...

On the other side of that coin. Many manufacturers claim a qt every 1K is normal and acceptable for warranty oil use repairs and they have to warranty the cat for x years/miles by law.
Not saying I agree with it but I doubt a qt every 3K is killing the cat. The GP you have was known to be hard on cats oil use or not. Eastern Cat even has a special model just for that one with a lot more wash coat.

So it was super frigid here today (around -20c) and I let the liquid in the can sit all day while I was at the office. I started the car at 6pm tonight (9 hours later), but before I did so I unscrewed the can and had a look.

It's still liquid in there with no ice crystals / slush. So whatever the composition it is of oil to water it's not freezing at least not after 9 hours. It does resemble a coffee with cream type colour and I have left the liquid in it after returning home tonight to see if it freezes overnight. It's supposed to be really cold over night.

I would have taken pictures tonight but it was already dark and our parking lots isn't well lit. I'll take pics in the morning when the sun is up and it has sat overnight for 12 hours in even colder temperatures.

As of this morning it was -25c (-11F) and the catch can contents were not frozen. It was thick but not frozen and dish slosh around. I have pictures and will post later when I'm home and on WiFi. The can sat in this cold temperature all night (about 12 hours).

Here is what it looked like after sitting in the cold for 12 hours at -25c (-11F) it was thick but still liquid.

I have these contents in a 2L bottle to leave out in the cold to see if it freezes with a couple days of frigid temperature's simulating a car that isn't run everyday.

20190122_183953.jpg

20190122_184002.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely looks well mixed still. Will be interesting to see if it separates, and if it does, if part of it freezes.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Definitely looks well mixed still. Will be interesting to see if it separates, and if it does, if part of it freezes.

I have it in the 2L pop bottle and I'm going to see if it freezes out in the cold for a couple days first, then I will see when I bring it in if it separates. It's interesting that's for sure.

What you are seeing above is about 400km worth. It's double what was in it before more or less.

I will try removing the steel wool from the cage inside as well and see if i can just catch oil and no condensation which is what I'm assuming this milkiness is.

Last edited:
Here is what it looks like after sitting inside since the first emptying. It's not seperating out to water and oil as I thought it might.

I'm going to see if it freezes out in the cold over the course of a week, once I have more collected and temperatures are more frigid again.
Currently its mild here. Around 32F (0c) at the moment +/- in either direction.

20190123_211158.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Here is what it looks like after sitting inside since the first emptying. It's not seperating out to water and oil as I thought it might.

I'm going to see if it freezes out in the cold over the course of a week, once I have more collected and temperatures are more frigid again.
Currently its mild here. Around 32F (0c) at the moment +/- in either direction.

If you're not driving short drive cycles, it could be that any water caught in the catch-can from combustion is getting baked out. The catch-can heats up with extended drives, which helps drive water out of them. Do some short drive cycles and look inside the catch-can ... might find some water in that case.

I filled up yesterday and emptied the can into the bottle. So far here is what I have:

Fluid collected: 100ml (3.38oz) - Seems to be moisture/oil combination with a fuel smell that doesn't seem to separate out into water/oil when left to sit.
Miles driven since collection: 1036km (644 miles)
Fuel used: 112.9L (29.83 Gallons) 91-Octane 0% Ethanol fuel. (Petro Canada)

Observation: I noticed the engine oil has darkened more in this time. (3900km on oil / 2438 miles) Maybe due to the lack of this junk being pulled through the intake?
(I typically check the oil and other fluids with every fill-up.)

Idle was smooth already but it appears that it's even better now. Butt dyno to continue confirming this though...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Thanks for the updates on this. I've found the catch can on my truck to pick up mostly oil, with more moisture/milky fluid in the winter months.

I recently emptied the can on an R53 (06) mini cooper, and it was mostly water - https://imgur.com/a/osw3gmN.jpg

Here is from my truck in warmer months - https://imgur.com/tjwXGFo.jpg

and here is the same truck in cooler months - https://imgur.com/ltlb2RA.jpg

Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Edit: The first link isn't working.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back