Motorcraft FL-400S missing drain back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPB

I was in WM today with the intention of buying the FL-400S for my Mazda CX-9. Since these boxes are not sealed I always inspect them for who knows what before I buy. One of the three they had seemed to not have a drain back valve. See photo. This was new on the shelf at my local WM. Needless to say, I did not buy.

IMG_0787[1].jpg

I would say-turn it into the TLE or customer service to be returned as defective-but the Wal-Martians would just put the danged thing back on the shelf anyway!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Does a FL-400S usually have one?
Yes-the "S" in the name means a red silicone one. It's getting to the point one has to look at everything you buy before one needs it.

Wonder how many are out there and how many little slivers of metal will leave engines because of them.

I used to use these. They would leak down even with the ADBV in place.

I guess they just gave up and decided to save a few pennies.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I used to use these. They would leak down even with the ADBV in place.

I guess they just gave up and decided to save a few pennies.

lol.gif

In a skit from "I Love Lucy" she is trying to keep up with an assembly line and starts stuffing things everywhere. Videos of oil filter makers show actual humans putting the adbv on the element. This one got away empty and went down the line. Purolator may use humans too. Name the makers who have not shown any assembly defects. Denso is one. Others? Definitely not Fram.

If your filter mounts in a vertical position (gasket up), it's not a problem to use this filter. But it is definitely a quality control issue with production of this filter.

Some engines still need an ABDV in the filter if it's mounted vertical with base up. The oil galleries above the filter can still drain out in that situation.

This was an obvious manufacturing slip up, it could happen to any manufacturer. Unlike MC/Purolator cellulose media, which (in my book) has no excuse. Still wondering what Ford's take on shoddy MC quality is-maybe they're too busy cashing M&H royalty checks...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Some engines still need an ABDV in the filter if it's mounted vertical with base up. The oil galleries above the filter can still drain out in that situation.

The Ranger in my sig line will complain if the ADBV leaks down. The filter is mounted mostly base up / dome down.

One would think there would be an electric eye scanning for this. I believe Jay's crew does this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back