New Honda Oil Filter 15400-RTA-003 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone here consider this a 20K filter?

Honda does.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave

Honda does.

UD

I don't see why not.

A Fram PH should be able to handle 20k in this app as well. That is what their literature says.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Honda does.

UD

I'd prefer an A02 as it has a metal seam clamp to this one for extended run.

A01's getting hard to come by - HAMP not hard to come by as long as you don't consider price "hard to come by".

I prefer A02 as well to this, but run xg7317 anyway.

We dont know what kind of efficiency it has yet do we?

For a truck that tows - any OCI over 10K, I prefer to run media that has some sort of backing.

UD

Last edited:
I like the looks of this filter. Looks MUCH better than the flimsy sloppy Fram made Honda oem. Media looks thicker,center tube looks more heavy duty,and the end caps look much better (thicker and more precision looking).

If to judge by posted pictures, I would guess this is quite well made counterfeit. First, this is Honda sticker made me look closer because to my knowledge the sticker should be rectangular without rounded corners, and if it's still made in Japan, it should be printed "Made in Japan". I may be wrong, but it seems the paint and yellowish grease are missing under the gasket seal. Besides, the print quality on this filter looks better than can be usually seen on original filters.

However, unlike the majority of counterfeits using a coil spring this one is equipped with a plate-like one as all original filters except those which were produced by Purflux in France (they had "F" before the last two digits) and bypass valve is spot welded. It would be useful to count number of thread turns (it should be 5). It may happen that today production is outside Japan: But again: what's about sticker ?

Originally Posted by Primus
I would guess this is quite well made counterfeit.

The OP is a Honda technician. The filter came from the Honda parts counter at the dealership he works at. The dealership no doubt purchases these filters directly from Honda of America Canada, so they're not getting counterfeit parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Primus
I would guess this is quite well made counterfeit.

The OP is a Honda technician. The filter came from the Honda parts counter at the dealership he works at. The dealership no doubt purchases these filters directly from Honda of America Canada, so they're not getting counterfeit parts.

Thanks for clarifications. As I wrote I was based on posted pictures which made me suppose two options: either a counterfeit, or it is not made in Japan. In the past the rounded corners of the label was one of the first indications of a counterfeit. Then, simply "Japan". If it's really an authentic product, I would say that quality is down and to my view it looks lousy. As for a source, today I would never be so sure and if it's a wrong source, the dealer will hardly recognize it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3751924/Honda_OEM_Factory_Oil_Filter,_

To my subjective view the difference is obvious and not in favor of filter we are discussing. I think better quality pictures of thread, in particular, turns' number and quality of surface treatment if its inner part (picture 5) would help. I don't eager to inspire doubts, but this filter does not look to me "Made in Japan" - sorry, but my faith and piety towards Japanese quality don't allow me to believe in it.

Just two examples of fake RTA-003 filters (on picture fake filters are shown in red wording and authentic - by green one):

Fake filters

Last edited:
Its like a A01 with a Fram TG Cartrige... At least the bypass sorta looks like A01 and the way the center tube can slide out..
I like it much better then the A02...

However I can get FULL with M pleat technology via world pac for like 3$ and they are very good IMO... I tend to use World Pac oil filters b/c they are OEM / OES approved...

I picked up 2 of these at the local dealer while there paying too much for a ELD, they the labels appear just like the labels in the OP, including the rounded corners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I picked up 2 of these at the local dealer while there paying too much for a ELD, they the labels appear just like the labels in the OP, including the rounded corners.

Hmmm, cut one open:

• Center tube is not "removable".
  • The bypass left no impression on the fiber end cap.
  • The ADBV seems pretty flimsy.

It seems as if the center tube is installed prior to the upper end cap being installed, the center tube is not coming out of this one without damaging an end cap.

The bypass valve did not leave an impression on the fiber end cap like we see on Fram filters, it also does not fit very tightly and offers no resistance to removal.

The ADBV fits well on to the center tube it creates a positive seal, it isn't very thick though.

I see no real problems with this filter, the weak points IMO are the lack of a metal seam clamp and the fit of the bypass. I think it'll work fine but again I would not seek this filter out, but I'll use the other one eventually.

Last edited:
As I noted in April when first posted, with the exception of silicone adbv on it, pics of two posted anecdotes look identical to the Nissan Factory filter. Same manufacturer Mahle, and same Japan coo. Hadn't posted Nissan anecdote pics at the time, but linked now below. While neither would be my first choice or even second choice, based on construction, of the two still prefer the topic filter design to the A02. Post use description of the Mahle Nissan FF and pics provided in link.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4729966/Nissan_Factory_Filter,_~4800_m

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Given wide availability of this filter's variant, it is hardly possible that fakes are everywhere - I am not paranoic. However, there should be something behind it. On Saturday I went for a maintenance to Honda center and expressly checked labels: all labels which I could manage to check showed "Made in Japan" and all they were acute-angled. Based on my subjective experience an indication just of a country like "Japan" instead of "Made in Japan" always meant that product was not made in this country and it was just an indication of a company's origine. As an example: I have two Flexon frames: one is made in Japan and shows "Made in Japan" and another one is made in China and bears simply "Japan".

The best way to know for sure is to look at its Certificate of Origine, as well as to ascertain from which country the product was imported because sometimes COO may mislead too: once in my life I had a problem at customs when packaging of our goods showed "Made in Germany", but Certificate of Origine stated "USA". The product was really made in Germany, but raw material was imported from the USA and its cost was over 50% (or 60% - I don't remember) of total value.

Just a pabulum for reflection:

- an old picture of 15400-RTA-003 which Amayama, a Japanese trader, has been shipping from Japan (but who knows what in reality they are shipping nowadays)

- as it turns out, and I have no ground to disbelieve a representative of a well known global manufacturer, today the most of "Made in Japan" filters are not really manufactured in Japan.

15400-RTA-003 Made in Japan.jpg

DuckRyder,
I think another one cut open is unable to enveil the true country of origin of tested filter. My info is just a pabulum for reflection which, to certain extend, backs up my guess that this filter may be not already made in Japan. I would be glad to be mistaken because this will fully ruin my faith in "Made in Japan" products, but nowadays end-users can exclude nothing. Hope I will not be blamed for insinuations like it was with my 2004 post on M1 base stock changes. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back