Taking care of turbo GDI Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai/KIA use a two stage injection cycle to keep the intake valves clean. Run top tier 92 gas.

It is visible in this video.

Run a d1G2 or d2 oil and don't extend the OCI. OEM filters are great filters and cheap on Amazon.

My Santa Fe has 36k miles, avg speed is 27 mph, and no indication of valve deposits. I think KIA/Hyundai have it handled.

Thank you guys for info.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
IMHO: I'd run Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil, Top Tier 93 octane gas and install some quality OCCs in the PCV loops. Keep your OCI at under 5K miles. Do the "Italian Tune-up" on occasion (safely of course). I'd also recommend the Fram Ultra over the OEM oil filters. Enjoy the car!

FWIW: From talking to some local Kia techs, just putting on some better flowing cat-backs (with HFC to stay somewhat legal) nets a very nice bump in power.

I am really not sure about 0w-40 oil viscosity (not recommended by manual, was actually thinking about 10w30 vs 5w30). I am planning to run 93 octane only. Debating if I should go for catch can in PCV loop vs PCV + CCV. I was planning 6k miles but now think that 5k will be better. I usually accelerate in high RPM, so not sure how often Italian tune will be needed. Currently thinking about going OEM for first oil change. I feel exhaust loud enough for me, right now, not planning to trade silence over performance.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Hyundai/KIA use a two stage injection cycle to keep the intake valves clean. Run top tier 92 gas.

It is visible in this video.

Run a d1G2 or d2 oil and don't extend the OCI. OEM filters are great filters and cheap on Amazon.

My Santa Fe has 36k miles, avg speed is 27 mph, and no indication of valve deposits. I think KIA/Hyundai have it handled.

Thanks, I assume the blue fume was the mix of gas and air going over intake valves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Don't forget to use only OEM filters

Why, when then the Fram Ultra flows better and filters better. Fram brought their Hyundai filters back into R&D about 4 years ago and match and bettered it to the Hyundai spec. And NO there will not be a warranty issue because I had a Hyundai motor that blew up and it had a Fram Ultra on it and it was not an issue with warranty. As part of testing they changed it out but I told them a Fram Ultra will be going right back on when I get home, since I have that right under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Nothing said, and the next time I came back in for the "Hyundai Tick of Death " I said here are the car keys, I don't want it back till you fix it" I received a call 4 hours later they were putting in a new motor. All while having a Fram Ultra "Beaming" under the car in TWO incidences, technically, where they could pull their no warranty BS. There is nothing special about the OEM Hyundai filter other then it is well made and it has a Swiss Cheese filter media.

The 2 injector per cylinder engines are in some 2019 Hyunda/Kia cars in Asia as we speak, that means if all is well, we might see the 2 injector per cylinder engines here in the USA/Canada in 2020.

Have you taken a scope and looked at your valves to confirm that?

I came across this picture in the Hyundai users forum.

Screenshot 2018-12-23_12-42-56-378.jpg

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

Yup, there will always be a few, and as with all GDi vehicles, it may be luck-of-the-draw as to who gets IVD and who doesn't. We have over 140K miles on our Santa Fe Sport with zero issues. There very well may be deposits on the valves but who cares if it runs just like new.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Why, when then the Fram Ultra flows better and filters better. Fram brought their Hyundai filters back into R&D about 4 years ago and match and bettered it to the Hyundai spec. And NO there will not be a warranty issue because I had a Hyundai motor that blew up and it had a Fram Ultra on it and it was not an issue with warranty. As part of testing they changed it out but I told them a Fram Ultra will be going right back on when I get home, since I have that right under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Nothing said, and the next time I came back in for the "Hyundai Tick of Death " I said here are the car keys, I don't want it back till you fix it" I received a call 4 hours later they were putting in a new motor. All while having a Fram Ultra "Beaming" under the car in TWO incidences, technically, where they could pull their no warranty BS. There is nothing special about the OEM Hyundai filter other then it is well made and it has a Swiss Cheese filter media.

It's not available for 3.3tt yet.

Last edited:
I would use an api sn+ dexos 1 gen2 oil, pennzoil platinum 5w30 meets those as well as the new chrysler spec ms-13340 for the 2.0T-Gdi engine

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

Is that Lamda 2 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back