Status
Not open for further replies.
Saab 9-7x 2007 4.2L (Chevy Trailblazer)

- changed rear air suspension to spring conversion kit
- changed rear shock absorbers
- changed rear stabilizer links

still clunking.

stabilizer links are tightened down.
one thing I noticed is I'm able to move the stabilizer links by hand side to side (there have inner plastic part which is suspect).

I've ordered new much better quality stabilizer links.

Are you sure it's not the bar bushings?? If you can move the entire assembly back and forth the bar bushings are junk

Last edited:
did you torque the shocks down? If you leave those bolts even a little loose they clunk. Also check the leading arms and panhard for damage. The bushings can wear out and it is not unheard of for one to break.

What brand of rear links did you use?

Originally Posted by BrianF
did you torque the shocks down? If you leave those bolts even a little loose they clunk. Also check the leading arms and panhard for damage. The bushings can wear out and it is not unheard of for one to break.

What brand of rear links did you use?

yes, the shock absorbers are tightened down solid.

the bushings were changed as well.

the links were really cheap. they don't have a grease fitting either. and I can move it side to side by hand.

but I'm not convinced it's the links are responsible for the clunking.

Last edited:
Clunking? During shift, on the road bumps? Please be clear on the situation you are in when this occurs.

Originally Posted by tookien

one thing I noticed is I'm able to move the stabilizer links by hand side to side (there have inner plastic part which is suspect).

So the link joint socket is moving on the bolt is that it or is the the whole bar moving? These have a joint upper and lower on those links correct?

Originally Posted by Kode
Clunking? During shift, on the road bumps? Please be clear on the situation you are in when this occurs.

sorry, I should have been more specific.

it doesn't clunk as much if at all on larger bumps but more on the smaller bumps.

it's a more delicate kind of clunking but at a high frequency.

I would say it happens (most of the time) as the suspension is retracting as opposed to initially engaging.

it is definitely also not the axle wheel bearings as I changed those recently and have the same clunking noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

So the link joint socket is moving on the bolt is that it or is the the whole bar moving? These have a joint upper and lower on those links correct?

yes you're correct.

one thing I noticed is I'm able to move the stabilizer links by hand side to side

They should be solid... the bolts on these are free spinning and require you to hold the bolt in place as the nut is tightened. Look for a hole on the end of the bolt for a allen wrench to fit into.....if so. Insert allen wrench and tighten with open or box end wrench.

To help isolate the noise, remove the rear end links and take it for a drive. Just make sure the sway bar will not contact anything.

Originally Posted by Warstud
one thing I noticed is I'm able to move the stabilizer links by hand side to side

They should be solid... the bolts on these are free spinning and require you to hold the bolt in place as the nut is tightened. Look for a hole on the end of the bolt for a allen wrench to fit into.....if so. Insert allen wrench and tighten with open or box end wrench.

that's not what I mean.

I mean the stabilizer link bar moves on the ball joints (not actually sure what the exact name is for it) by hand fairly easily.

The ends of the stabilizer link are as tight as can be, I am aware they're free spinning and aware of how to fasten it properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back