What's your shortest OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox21
How many KM/Miles, what oil, what car, and why?

200km, Mobil 1 0W20, Scion FRS, because I change the oil every 6 month even if I don't drive the car in winter.

Why?

200 km
shocked2.gif
I think you win
grin2.gif

Mine was ~1200 miles (1900 km) VW Rabbit. Normally did it about 2K to 2500 miles.
Always used 10Wx40 dino.
used to get together with friends on weekends and work on our cars ... i.e. do more harm than good sometimes lol

Last edited:
Under a thousand miles because a mechanic doing an NYS Inspection and a tire rotation, it was freezing cold, lesson learned, mistakenly dropped a sump full of PUP. Things happen and he did the right thing, so no foul.

Not sure on miles, but I gave Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 less than a week in my 911. Hot oil pressure was lower than with M1 FS 0W-40 and the engine was noticably louder. It was weird.

I drained it straight back into the jugs it came in and used it for my BIL's FR-S. Made that car's fuel pump chirp disappear. Go figure.

My sig car actually specs 3k oil changes due to fuel dilution. That's the shortest in our stable.

Our service vans trip their OLM at almost exactly 4500 miles due to tons of stationary operations. Our Silverados can go 10k miles with highway work.

Our 14 RAM trips its OLM at around 7k miles.

200km, Mobil 1 0W20, Scion FRS, because I change the oil every 6 month even if I don't drive the car in winter.

My next oci on the Charger will be about the same.

I changed the oil in my new 2005 Sport Trac every 3,000 until the powertrain warranty was up, then moved to 5,000. Not sure what my motivation was back then. PP or M1, 5W-30 & Motorcraft filters.

For the first few years I owned my '85 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo, I changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and fretted if I let it go as long as 3500. It was my first new car, and I was using it every weekend during the summer doing either autocrosses or track days. I started extending the intervals after a few years when I noticed that the oil was still gold on the dipstick before I drained it. I eventually settled on 6000 mile intervals, and the oil level stayed exactly at the top the whole time. I traded it in at 166k miles in 1998 on a Camaro Z28. Sometimes I still wish I had the Sunbird.

5km (3 miles) Mr. Lube put the wrong viscosity in my fleet van (5w20 instead of the spec'ed 5w30) and I drove it back to the shop to have it changed once I saw it on the receipt when I got home.

Last edited:

Smart action! Your vehicle will not have engine problems due to lubrication

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
0 miles. I filled the engine with oil but forgot to put the drain plug back in. Do I win?

Maybe. lol I You sparked a memory. Long before cordless phones, I did an oil change and at the time replaced the oil sending unit in my 66 Falcon. I drained the oil changed the filter filled the sump and took the oil sending unit out to replace it. I had the new sending unit in the box sitting on the air cleaner and my father came out to tell me I had a call. I went into the house to answer the call, came out and started the engine. What a mess!! LOL I'd say you won, but I was a close second place.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
For the first few years I owned my '85 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo, I changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and fretted if I let it go as long as 3500. It was my first new car, and I was using it every weekend during the summer doing either autocrosses or track days.

My first new car was a 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo and for the most part I was doing 3000 km (1,863 mi) intervals using Castrol XLR 10w30. I drove that car a lot so I was usually doing an oil change every 3-4 weeks. But back then the oil was only about $1 per liter and the Fram oil filter I ran was about $2 or $3. In 1991 I sold that car to my sister and at that point I started using M1 10w30 in it and would let the OCI go much longer (closer to 10,000 miles)

Does engine break in count? When I install a rebuilt engine I will break in the cam, set timing, a few trips around the block then I drain the special break in oil.

The next would be my tractor. It may only go 10-20 miles a year but I change it anyway. It only has a bypass oil filter and oil bath air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back