Radator Hose Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any comment on the Japanese OE kind made of formed wire plus screw? They work, but a drawback is their limited range of adjustment; if you change to a thicker or thinner replacement hose, they won't fit.

Originally Posted by CR94
Any comment on the Japanese OE kind made of formed wire plus screw? They work, but a drawback is their limited range of adjustment; if you change to a thicker or thinner replacement hose, they won't fit.
That's why I always use OEM hoses with new clamps.They come spring loaded. Just slip them over the new hose, draw a line about a quarter inch from hose end. Place the edge of clamp on line and snapped them closed. Costs somewhat more but never an issue with coolant leaks.

Originally Posted by CR94

I never had any sealing problems with those, they have used for as long as I can remember OE. Like you say range is somewhat limited and after about 10 years depending on where you live the screw threads can rust and they may need to be cut off.

I think those wire clamps are good, they apply a lot of sealing pressure in fairly narrow bands, without putting a lot of force on the outlet. I used to see the screw type clamps way overtightened, I also used to have to use safety wire to keep them from moving. I'm a fan of the various spring clamps.

I prefer the factory style spring clamps. They'll never loosen over time. I never have ti worry about them damaging the hose. Too tight or too lose isnt on my mind.

They're a pain in the [censored] to get with pliers. But there are special hose clamp pliers designed for these things that remove them in seconds. Faster than a screw clamp

I recently replaced the radiator in our 17 year old Pontiac, and reused the spring clamps - they're still working fine, no leaks, despite the age. Ditto on my other 18 year old GM car.

A big (really big) plumbers pliers works well on these to compress the ends. If you get the special tool, don't get cheapest one like I did (and ended up throwing away).

I found myself on the side of I35 with an overheated car because the lower ratiator hose's OE spring clamp let go of the plastic piece it held onto in the middle of the hose where the oil cooler line intersects. Because of I was without my normal emergency kit which would have held some pliers capable of squeezing the offending clamp enough to get it back in place. So I got a Lyft (after walking a mile to get to where one would pick me up) to the local Walmart and bought some worm drive clamps and then got another Lyft back to my car to button it up.

I'm not going to proactively replace the remaining squeezers, but I will not reuse them as they similarly fail.

Having this issue right now with my Quest. There's a 4 inch piece of coolant hose that goes to the oil cooler. Replaced the hose 2 years ago with OEM but don't remember what happened to the OEM spring clamps, so I just used some worm clamps. With the cold weather, it has started leaking out of one side, and one side only, and only leaks overnight when it gets really cold. Replaced the hose with bulk hose and a new worm clamp and it's doing the same thing. Leaking out of one side, only overnight after it gets very cold. Went back to the dealer and got an OEM molded hose (again) and two OEM spring clamps for $11 total. Have yet to replace it, but everywhere else I've ever used the spring clamps, they are bone dry. Starting to hate worm clamps.

I've used various hose clamps over the years and never had any leaks if the hoses and pipes were in good condition at the start.
Old hoses are time bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back